Newbie Here..need Some Advice!

Decorating By ChristysCakes88 Updated 22 Apr 2010 , 1:41pm by ChristysCakes88

ChristysCakes88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristysCakes88 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 6:56pm
post #1 of 6

I have been making cakes out my home for a while now but I get so nervous everytime I have to make a large cake. I am making a 3 tier cake for a Sweet 16 this Saturday. I have already made my MMF and am going to cover the cake in that. She wanted polka dots and stripes on the cake. How far ahead can I make the polka dots and stripes? Or should I wait until the day she is coming to get it? I am going to put the little fondant balls around the bottom of each tier...How far ahead can I make these?

Thanks for any advice!! icon_smile.gif

5 replies
Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 7:04pm
post #2 of 6

I usually make the dots anywhere from the day of to two days ahead of time to let them dry, but keep them covered in container after they are dried. I usually make the balls the day before.

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 7:08pm
post #3 of 6

You could probably make the dots and stripes now, but just make sure you keep them covered up so they don't dry out. You probably don't want to wait until the day of to decorate just in case there is a problem. If you have the cake decorated a day or two beforehand it will still be fine.

You can definitely start rolling all your fondant balls now.

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 7:13pm
post #4 of 6

I have made fondant pieces as early as a week ahead. I just store in a covered Tupperware.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 8:22pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisseyann

I have made fondant pieces as early as a week ahead. I just store in a covered Tupperware.

What she said thumbs_up.gif .

ChristysCakes88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristysCakes88 Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 1:41pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks so much for all of your advice!! I don't know why I get this way...Everytime I get a big cake order, it's like I forget everything I have ever learned about cake decorating! LOL

Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%