Figures

Decorating By Lorabell Updated 21 Apr 2010 , 10:06pm by aine2

Lorabell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorabell Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 4:54pm
post #1 of 8

Hey,

When making a figure, how do you decided whether to use fondant or gumpaste and is one better than another?

Also, I'd love to learn how to sculpt, does anyone have some ideas for me?

I've been asked for a pirate cake and I want to make a pirate standing with a peg leg. I've seen them use modeling chocolate on cake boss molded around some type of wire. I just don't know which way to go.

Your help would be appreicated.

Lori

7 replies
Lyndseyb52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lyndseyb52 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 6:04pm
post #2 of 8

Hi Lori

I use fondant for all my models and gumpaste for the more delicate things like flowers, I wouldn't really use it on models..

I try to keep models completely edible then you don't have to worry when it's with the customer.

Modelling chocolate can be used too, I've yet to try it but I bet it tastes nicer icon_smile.gif

Lyndsey xx

Cariad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cariad Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 7:09pm
post #3 of 8

Hi Lori,

When using fondant I add a small amount of CMC(carboxy methyl cellulose) to give it more strength. I am not sure what you call it there sorry. Another name for it is Tylose or Tylopur
I add 1/2 tsp to 250g fondant by kneading it in.

Hope that helps icon_biggrin.gif

Lorabell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorabell Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 8:55pm
post #4 of 8

thank you for your help

DreamMaker2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DreamMaker2 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 9:11pm
post #5 of 8

Can't wait to see this one, Lori! Please post pics when you get it done!
Cheley

chelseak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelseak Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 9:15pm
post #6 of 8

For learning how to sculpt, do a google search on clay sculpting or clay figures. There are lots of videos and tutorials out there. Hope that helps! Good luck and make sure to post pics of your pirate!

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 9:35pm
post #7 of 8

I use dried spaghetti for supports when they aren't in need of super-strong structure.
Otherwise, you'll need heavy wire or toothpicks. I agree, google it.
I just bought a bunch of clay tools from the local craft store, along with a modeling book. That stuff is way cheaper than the gumpaste tools!

aine2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aine2 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 10:06pm
post #8 of 8

Here's how to make Modelling Paste. thumbs_up.gif Satin Ice or Pettinice uses the same amount of CMC (Tylopur) that I mention here. If you are using Wilton then only use just under half the quantity. Wilton ready made paste is already quite "tight" so needs less but is still good for modelling. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%