Sweetex Shelf Life

Decorating By dchockeyguy Updated 21 Apr 2010 , 4:19pm by minicuppie

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 12:54pm
post #1 of 5

I was wondering if Sweetex has a long shelf life or not? I keep it stored in a pantry in it's container. Will it last a long time? Will it smell rancid if it's gone bad?

Thanks!

4 replies
Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 1:16pm
post #2 of 5

This summer is going to be, 1 yr that I have my sweetex stored, in the same 50lb box that it came in, and it is still good not rancid or anything, after I opened it, I made sure that I always put a sheet of parchment on top of the shortening, and then fold the plastic bag tightly to keep the air out. just store it in the recommended temp that is suggested on the box.

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 1:20pm
post #3 of 5

Same as regular shortening (tight fitting lid, cool, dry place). Keep an eye on the expiration date and try to use up before (or as close as you can) the date. I keep all of my solid fats in the fridge as I am not baking as much as I used to. Just scoop out what I need and let it come to room temp before I use it.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 2:37pm
post #4 of 5

I do through it pretty quick. But, one thing I do when I get it is re-package it into 2 lb. 13 oz. packages (ziploc). That is the amount I use for one recipe of my frosting. That way it is ready to go, I don't have to mess around weighing it out each time I make frosting. I have heard of others that freeze it with no problems too.

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 4:19pm
post #5 of 5

Brilliant, lou! I always prided myself on my orgainizational skills. You have taught an old dog a new trick, and I thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%