Edible Screen Printing?

Decorating By endymion Updated 13 Mar 2015 , 6:50pm by ashby1983

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 5:21pm
post #1 of 7

Okay, saw an infomercial last night about Provocraft's "Yudu" screen printer. (Had to laugh when they said they were "the first" to sell a home-use screen printing machine... I had a Print Goccu machine back in the 1980's! But back to my point...)

I was wondering if you could use some kind of silk-screening type process to print designs on edibles (fondant, cookies, etc.)? It would have to be food-safe materials, of course (frosting rather than inks, and food-safe screens) but I just wondered.

I know we have the edible images, and maybe there would be no real benefit of screen printing over printer-generated images.... (Maybe a more "raised" design on the item, similar to stenciling?)

I just wondered if anyone had done this, or heard of it being done.

6 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 7:25pm
post #2 of 7

they did this on Ace of Cakes to make Dharma Beer Can Labels for the cake they made for lost.

the screens should already be food safe.

gel colors will give dark intense colors.

the trick is for silk screening to work as you know the color as to be gelled. so, would probably have to use tinted piping gel to get lighter shades.

endymion Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 8:44pm
post #3 of 7

Hey, thanks Doug!

With that information, I was able to use google to find some information:

http: // www.t-shirtforums.com/screen-printing/t3882. html

Remove spaces to go to that site.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 9:34pm
post #4 of 7

30 years ago, Wilton produced screens for screen printing on chocolate. I doubt that they were big business. icon_wink.gif

Beth Parvu of sugarpaste.com has been working with someone to begin making silkscreens using food safe emulsion again. I took a class with her 18 months ago--we used her "anitque" screens. We used melted chocolate and colored cocoa butter for the process.

It was fun, but last time I saw her, there was nothing available any time soon.

Rae

endymion Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 1:09am
post #5 of 7

Interesting! Thanks for all the info. I hope someone offers the food-safe emulsion again sometime.

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 7 Jun 2013 , 12:23am
post #6 of 7

So i was just watching reruns of amazing wedding cakes and the shop gateau, inc. uses screen printing.  somehow they generate an image they want from the computer and get a stencil out of it (that's what it looks like and the way she described it)place it on the fondant then they pass the *ink* over it then place it on the cake

ashby1983 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashby1983 Posted 13 Mar 2015 , 6:50pm
post #7 of 7

Does anyone have any newer information on this?   I've been looking all morning and can't find a good tutorial anywhere. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%