Fatdaddios Vs Magic Line

Decorating By SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Updated 17 Apr 2010 , 1:37pm by endymion

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 9:35pm
post #1 of 20

I just ordered some new square pans. I ordered fatdaddio pans, but when they got here, they still have rounded corners. Does anyone out there have magic line pans... and if so are they perfectly square in the corners?

19 replies
Tracy7953 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracy7953 Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 9:50pm
post #2 of 20

I have several Magic Line pans. Yes they do have 90 degree square corners. I just have problems with the cake sticking and breaking apart in these pans (not in others).

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 11:10pm
post #3 of 20

I prefer Magic Line square and rectangular cake pans because of the square corners. Somewhat of a pain to clean - I wrap a cloth around the tip of a sharp knife. No trouble with the cakes breaking.

newbaker55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newbaker55 Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 11:19pm
post #4 of 20

I recently got my square and rectangle ML pans and LOVE THEM! I haven't had any problems w/sticking or breaking cakes. I use the oil/water/flour recipe for coating them. Clean-up's a breeze, as well. Soon as I flip out the cakes to the cooling rack, the pans go into some nice, hot sudsy water for a brief soak and...voila! Can't wait to be able to purchase the round ones icon_smile.gif

newbaker55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newbaker55 Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 11:20pm
post #5 of 20

Oh yeah...super sharp corners icon_biggrin.gif

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 11:24pm
post #6 of 20

All of my square pans are Fat Daddio's. I LOVE using them! The pans do look rounded but once the cake is baked it has sharp corners! thumbs_up.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 11:24pm
post #7 of 20

just wanted to add that I too ordered a whole set of fat daddios square pans and saw the rounded edges and though "Oh NO......I need a SQUARE cake!!!" So I wound up buying magic line pans as well......then I read that the fat daddios, though slightly rounded at the edge still bake up nice and square, so I tried them.....and they do!! I actually will bake 1 layer in each pan and use that for my cake and have no problems!! The fat daddios are 100 times easier to clean too!

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 11:26pm
post #8 of 20

Does anyone have problems baking in the fat daddio's pans though? I bought the hex pans and all of my cakes caved in majorly in the middle. That had never happened to me before. I even lowered the oven temp (which I read on here was necessary with FD pans). I have ML squares and I absolutely LOVE them!!!

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 12:18am
post #9 of 20

Ok thanks everyone. I purchased these because I have been using wilton pans an inch larger and carving the rounded edges off! PITA! So when I saw these pans my heart sank! I'll try them....wish me luck!

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 12:33am
post #10 of 20

Does anyone have a web site to order Magic line pans? Thanks.

jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 1:10am
post #11 of 20

I have FD pans and love them. I had a ML pan and sold it in a garage sale. The FD bakes evenly and the square pans have great sharp corners for me. If you watch Sugarshacks video she shows you how to get sharp corners, so even if your pans don't provide the sharp corners, I think you would be able to achieve them.

tron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tron Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 1:38am
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by steplite

Does anyone have a web site to order Magic line pans? Thanks.

You can purchase the sets on ultimatebaker.com.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 2:16am
post #13 of 20

Magic Line pans are the "gold standard." I have one FD pan. There won't be any others. And I don't think the FD makes sharp corners at all. Not like the ML pans, anyway.

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 2:18am
post #14 of 20

Thanks Tron!

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 2:38am
post #15 of 20

I am looking to get a set of square pans and was considering FD or ML and was leaning towards ML given all the rave reviews I have read about ML.

Kelli - Can you let me know how your cakes turn out with your new Fatdaddios? Thanks and good luck!!

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 4:58am
post #16 of 20

I would def. go with magic line... I just don't have time to get them here, so I'm suck with the FD pans for now. icon_sad.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 12:25pm
post #17 of 20

I am another fan of ML. Definitely square corners, and yes they can be a little more difficult to clean, but I let them soak for about 3-5 min and then use a toothpick in the corners and never had a problem.

The other thing I like about ML is they are made in the USA (for sure) from what I have found on FD they are made overseas. I know some people don't care either way, but it may be a deciding factor for others.

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 1:18pm
post #18 of 20

Have tried both FD and ML. Strong preference for ML! (But wish they made hex pans.)

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 1:31pm
post #19 of 20

I wasn't saying fat daddios are BETTER than ML...........just letting kelly know that it's not a total loss, i bake with the square fat daddios as well as my square magic line and pretty much use them interchangably.

Another, great option (oddly enough) are the "wilton professional pans" they have perfectly square corners and honestly, the couple that I have, the cakes bake up even better than in my ML pans and they're MUCH less costly.

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 1:37pm
post #20 of 20

Interesting! Will have to try the Wilton professional pans sometime. I have a really OLD Wilton hex pan that is a heavier metal than their newer pans and I like the way it bakes. Maybe it is similar to the professional pans they make now. (But alas, I only have the one size.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%