Black Icing On Wedding Cake

Decorating By adamsmom Updated 20 Apr 2010 , 7:05pm by dguerrant

adamsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsmom Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 3:13pm
post #1 of 12

Hello All,
I have another question re: a white buttercream cake with black scroll work. My bride showed me a better picture of the cake that she would like and it has a TON of scroll work on it. My question is if anyone knows where I could purchase a good black icing to use for the scroll work. I've tried to color my icing and fondant black before and it takes an eternity and still doesn't look black in the end! Also, I am planning on allowing about 4 hours to do just the scroll work, hope this will be enough time (planning on practicing to get a better idea of time). She would like a 3 tier square cake (16'', 12'', & 8''). Below is a picture of the cake (it's a round cake, but she of course wants it square)
LL

11 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 4:01pm
post #2 of 12

A hint that Norm Davis shared was that he used plain old chocolate canned frosting tinted black to do the scrollwork on his cakes.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 4:23pm
post #3 of 12

If you use cehfmaster liqua gel color you will get a true black with no bad taste (same goes for red). You can order red and black decorator icing from Dixie's Icing in Omaha http://www.dixiesicing.com/Site/OnLineStore.html She has a sample pack for $15.00 if you just want to try it.

cakesbymark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbymark Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 4:33pm
post #4 of 12

i start with a dark chocolate buttercream first then color black......

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 6:46pm
post #5 of 12

PLEASE be careful if you start with chocolate icing. Make sure you let your customer know that it will be chocolate flavored. I have clients that CAN NOT have chocolate (it's a life or death situation)

I use Americolor Black and it takes hardly any coloring at all.

If you want to purchase black pre-made check with your local sam's club (or maybe other clubs like this) they get a lot of their colors pre-made and it is from DAWN. (although it all says sam's or wal-mart name on it now)

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 6:52pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

If you use cehfmaster liqua gel color you will get a true black with no bad taste (same goes for red). You can order red and black decorator icing from Dixie's Icing in Omaha http://www.dixiesicing.com/Site/OnLineStore.html She has a sample pack for $15.00 if you just want to try it.

Have you tried piping with their colored icing? I've never heard of them, but just looked them up. That could be a real time saver, but I'm scared of what the consistency would be like to do something like scroll work.

tiggy2 Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 6:56pm
post #7 of 12

I've never used it for scrolls but I have used it for writing and it was fine. She uses the same consistency for everything, including roses (I thought it was a little soft for that). I've takend some classes from and she's a very talented lady. I buy my chefmaster color from her as well as other supplies.

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 1:03am
post #8 of 12

Many times when I have dark piping, I use sugarveil. I always worry about "bleeding" with dark colors. Sugarveil seems to take the color easily and doesn't bleed. AND my favorite part...no "points" left on the ends of my scrolls to smooth down. Sugarveil kinda just melts right back into itself. Anyways...just a thought...

edited to add: I don't use my sugarveil pump/pen for the scrollwork (actually hardly use that part) just the sugarveil mixed up in a piping bag with whatever tip size I need.

tiggy2 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 1:07am
post #9 of 12

You could also use a stencil and royal icing.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 1:23am
post #10 of 12

I did a white cake with black scrolling...just used a good sized squeeze of black Americolor...no problem. Scrolling doesn't take a huge amount of icing, as well. Maybe, at the most, two 12" bags 2/3 full for an entire cake.

adamsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsmom Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 7:01pm
post #11 of 12

Sorry it's taken me this long to respond! Thanks for all the input! I think that I will give the Americolor a try, it's what is available to me locally. I'll let you know how it works out for me. Thanks again!

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 7:05pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

A hint that Norm Davis shared was that he used plain old chocolate canned frosting tinted black to do the scrollwork on his cakes.

I do this too, it just takes a little black color to get a good black. SOOOOO much easier, and the color doesn't seperate from the buttercream from the warmth of your hands either.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%