How To Melt Chocolate?

Sugar Work By mommyLena Updated 28 Apr 2010 , 1:45pm by Sebastian2

mommyLena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyLena Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 2:24pm
post #1 of 7

HELP!!! icon_mad.gif
Can somebody tell me how to melt chocolate the right way? It seems not to have the shine I am looking for. It has lines through the decorations after it dries... icon_sad.gif

6 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 2:44pm
post #2 of 7

Hi, put the cocolate in a glass bowl and keep it on a saucepan with simmering water. Can I ask you for what are going to use the chocolate?

jolmk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jolmk Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 7:05pm
post #3 of 7

Your lines are from the chocolate not being tempered.

Jo

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 10:48pm
post #4 of 7

You can't just "melt" chooolate--not real chocolate, anyway. You have to temper it--melt it to a certain temp, cool it to a certain temp--so that all of the fat and sugar crystals are in alignment.

You can google tempering chocolate and you'll get the exact temp ranges that you need for the various types of chocolate.

I prefer to melt in the microwave in a plastic microwave safe bowl. You get fewer hotspots than with glass and you don't have to worry about water vapor (like with a double boiler) getting into the chocolate and causing it to seize.

Good luck.
Rae

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 8:30pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

I prefer to melt in the microwave in a plastic microwave safe bowl.

http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/candies/choc-help.htm

The above web address has almost all the info you need, and the rest is practice.

Here is something I received in mail, one important thing that I learned is not to melt chocolate in glass bowl, but melt it in a plastic bowl.
I tried it and the difference is amazing.

How to temper chocolate: Marks microwave method (Mark Tilling)

This method is a great alternative to traditional tempering techniques, but as all microwaves are different, it may take you more than once to get it right so take your time.
You will need:
Good quality chocolate (e.g. SK Belgian Chocolate Couverture)
Microwave
Plastic bowl suitable for use in the microwave
Plastic or metal spoon or spatula
Hairdryer or heat gun
Palette knife
Digital thermometer (optional you can still temper chocolate without one)
  1. Place two thirds of the amount of chocolate that you are going to temper into a bowl; the third will be used later in the tempering process. You will need to use a microwavable plastic bowl as porcelain will become too hot.
  2. Place the bowl into the microwave ad heat for 30 seconds on half power. Stir the chocolate and then return it to the microwave for another 30 seconds. Repeat this as many times as required until the chocolate has melted. Dont be tempted to rush this stage of the process as the chocolate may burn if heated too long.
  3. You will notice that the chocolate will start to melt slowly. When the chocolate has melted completely it should be around 45°C.
  4. Add the remaining third of the chocolate to the melted chocolate and stir gently (dont over-stir the chocolate). The cold chocolate will melt into the warm chocolate, lowering the temperature slightly.
  5. The chocolate will become thicker and the cool chocolate may not melt completely. If this is the case, use a hairdryer or heat gun to slowly melt the chocolate, stirring at the same time. Take care not to overheat the chocolate. Just before all the chocolate has melted stop heating it and let it finish melting by itself.
  6. Test the temperature of the chocolate to make sure you have tempered it correctly. If you have a thermometer the temperatures should be as follows:
Dark chocolate 31°C
Milk chocolate 29°C
White chocolate 27°C
  7. You can also check that the chocolate is correctly tempered by dipping the end of a palette knife in the chocolate and setting it aside. If it starts to set in a few minutes then the chocolate is tempered and ready to use. If the chocolate doesnt set then its still too hot.
  8. If the chocolate is too hot, more cool chocolate needs to be added in order to cool it down.
  9. When you are working with the tempered chocolate it may begin to cool and thicken. Use the hairdryer or heat gun again to heat the chocolate just a little. Check the temperature as before with the thermometer or palette knife.

HTH

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 1:35am
post #6 of 7

If you don't want to temper, you should consider buying candy melts instead. I like the Merkins

Sebastian2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sebastian2 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 1:45pm
post #7 of 7

Hi, Thank you very much for all your suggestions. But now I have more doubts to make it. Please update us, with detailed way about how to prepare this.

kitchen trolley

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%