Fondant Onto Boxed Cake Mix????????

Decorating By ilovemylittleone Updated 14 Apr 2010 , 5:59pm by Jeep_girl816

ilovemylittleone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ilovemylittleone Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 1:41pm
post #1 of 13

After reading several forums. I am concerned about my boxed cakes holding up to be covered with the marshmallow fondant. Please, please, please tell me that it will. I have already made cakes and my fondant for my daughters "surprise" party on Sat. It is a three tier cake. I want to make it a hit not a disaster. Please help!

12 replies
luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 1:51pm
post #2 of 13

Covering them with a layer of ganache will help. The ganache makes the cake a little sturdier to hold up to the fondant. Check the forum index for ganache under fondant.

kandyc10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandyc10 Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 2:01pm
post #3 of 13

All my cakes are box cake mix's and all my cakes are covered in fondant. You can make the cakes more dense by adding sc and pudding. I have done both and they all have been just fine.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 2:06pm
post #4 of 13

i use boxes and MMF, with buttercream and no problem at all.

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 2:07pm
post #5 of 13

I have done just fine with box cake mixes as is and fondant. If you are not sure still, then this is what I do to make my cakes sturdier for when I need to sculpt, etc.

I use Duncan Hines:

Add 1 small box of instant pudding (use a flavor that compliments your cake)
Add 1 extra egg (4 total)
Make your oil 1/2 cup instead of 1/3 cup.

Bake as you normally would.

pat-a-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pat-a-cakes Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 2:14pm
post #6 of 13

I only use boxed cakes and MMF and have never had any problems. Hope everything works out for you.

Christy0722 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christy0722 Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 2:26pm
post #7 of 13

Same here. I use DH box mix and homemade MMF over buttercream. I've never had a problem. I just chill my cakes before putting on the fondant.

GGx1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GGx1 Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 2:30pm
post #8 of 13

box mix here too, what ever is on sale, not picky. then frost with bc and cover with fondant. seems fine to me, but then i am not an expert either.

ilovemylittleone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ilovemylittleone Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 3:54pm
post #9 of 13

Thanks for all the info. I am so glad to hear that hopefully everything will be ok. What type of buttercream do you guys use? I usually use a crusting BC. Is this ok or do I need a new recipe?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 5:20pm
post #10 of 13

I use mixes straight out of the box and my fondant cakes hold up fine. I don't use really thick fondant, though (I HATE the "play-doh" look of thick fondant!). Matter of fact, when I first started doing fondant, I honestly wondered what the big deal was about the cakes holding up because I never had ANY problems what so ever.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 5:52pm
post #11 of 13

theres no need to add anything extra. I use box mixes for all my cakes and never had an issue.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 5:55pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caths_Cakes

theres no need to add anything extra. I use box mixes for all my cakes and never had an issue.

agree. the one time I did try the "add pudding to the mix", my official taste testers warned me to NEVER do that again. They hated it. Many on here like it and do it all the time ... I'm only suggesting that if you try that, test it on family before giving it to a client.

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 5:59pm
post #13 of 13

I use fondant over box mixes all the time and no problems yet. I like using ganache under the fondant though I have used IMBC too, both are great, and I always put the cake in the fridge for twenty minutes or so to firm up before I put the fondant on, works great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%