Cricut Copyright Question

Decorating By thumbs Updated 13 Apr 2010 , 11:17pm by thumbs

thumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thumbs Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 6:54pm
post #1 of 6

Okay so I am still wrapping my head around all the different copyright issues.

I know you can't mold a copyrighed charactor/logo etc and sell it. But what about images from the cricut disks? I know there is a disney cartridge and several others, are we okay to use those as we have purchased the cartridge or is that still for personal use?

Thanks in advance!

5 replies
RobynLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobynLM Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 7:05pm
post #2 of 6

I'm pretty sure that it's the same - a no-no. In doing so, you are making money on their copyrighted work without having the permission to do so.

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 7:05pm
post #3 of 6

Good question! The carts have specific copyright laws attached, so Disney and the other "special character" cartridges are still protected, can only use the images for personal use, be that on paper or cake icon_smile.gif But now with the Cricut cake coming out I think a whole new copyright nightmare is waiting to come to a head!

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 7:19pm
post #4 of 6

I believe it will still only be for personal use. The rules of use on your cartridge aren't going to change because the Cricut for Cake comes out, so all of the same rules are still going to apply.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 8:36pm
post #5 of 6

I haven't seen any terms and conditions with them yet, but going off of past experience the answer would be no you can't use it.

The only time I have seen something with copy right material that you can print (or in this case cut) would be with a certain disk that only has so many images you can use. (my experience has been with edible images) But these are sold through certain distrubuters for resale use.

Think of it like the wilton character pans. You can buy them, but you can't sell the cake from the pan because it is a copyright character.

thumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thumbs Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 11:17pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone.

I kinda figured it would be the same but what fun we could have if we were allowed to use them icon_lol.gif

Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%