Great New Royal Icing Idea!

Decorating By Marci_Jay Updated 23 Sep 2014 , 5:57pm by jazmincita

dolcebaci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolcebaci Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 4:54am
post #91 of 141

Has anyone tried this "flexable royal icing"....AKA cheaper sugarveil in the sugarveil dispenser?

I am up in Canada and can't get anything other then Wilton GumPaste mix...any other suggestions?

Thanks

Dolce

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 1:37pm
post #92 of 141

I have used the Bakers Kitchen brand with success. If you look at my picts. it is on the brown 2 tier with the Cladaugh on top. The love knots on the side were made with the flexible icing. The consistency was like melted marshmallow. I piped on to a lightly greased piece of wax paper (put shortening on and then wipe it off) one day, let it dry over night, the next day I applied it to the cake. The extras that I had made were dried hard my the following day and were brittle. It was great to work with.

Sheila

kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 2:37pm
post #93 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolcebaci

Has anyone tried this "flexable royal icing"....AKA cheaper sugarveil in the sugarveil dispenser?

I am up in Canada and can't get anything other then Wilton GumPaste mix...any other suggestions?

Flour Confections in pickering sells sugarveil, not sure about the CK brand stuff. Sugartiers in Markham might carry it - they sell a lot of UK brands and other things I have not seen other places.

dolcebaci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolcebaci Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 5:47pm
post #94 of 141

Thanks for the heads up...but I wanted to save some money. I would rather not buy the sugarveil if the other mixture works just as well.

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 5:58pm
post #95 of 141

wow.. this is interesting... I might have to try this.. sounds kinda like the sugarveil maybe?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 6:00pm
post #96 of 141

I'm watching this closely -- Sugarveil is my next big ticket item I plan to get but I'm curious as to how this flexible royal icing compares.

sccandwbfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sccandwbfan Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 6:09pm
post #97 of 141

Hmmm, I 'm glad this got bumped up. I can't wait to try this.

Christy

shkepa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shkepa Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 8:00pm
post #98 of 141

I have never tried this due to the fact I hear all the time about the cracking but this sounds like a great alternative.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 8:28pm
post #99 of 141

So glad I found this, thanks for sharing. I have to make a Charlotte's Web cake for my son's school play in February. He wants me to put a web on the side that says "Some Play" I was dreading doing that with RI, will have to give this a try. Good excuse to order some more cake stuff, after all can't place an order for just one thing, would be a waste of shipping costs. icon_wink.gif

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 9:13pm
post #100 of 141

Thanks for all the ideas and tips.

Buttercream_warrior Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Buttercream_warrior Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 10:29pm
post #101 of 141

did i miss the flexible royal icing recipe?? or is everyone still looking for it??sorry..suffering slow brain today

FullHouse Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 11:01pm
post #102 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marci_Jay

Sorry I got so excited, I never wrote the recipe! I added 1/3 cup hot water to 1 cup of powdered gumpaste mix (the baker's kitchen brand available on their website) and whipped like royal icing. It is a little soft and stringy (the gums), but worth it. After one day, it was rubbery, after 2 days it did get a little fragile. I even experimented by piping a long rope onto greased parchment, and later peeled it off and wrapped it around my cake for a border!

The recipe is a few posts down on the first page thumbs_up.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 12:15am
post #103 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marci_Jay

Sorry I got so excited, I never wrote the recipe! I added 1/3 cup hot water to 1 cup of powdered gumpaste mix (the baker's kitchen brand available on their website) and whipped like royal icing. It is a little soft and stringy (the gums), but worth it. After one day, it was rubbery, after 2 days it did get a little fragile. I even experimented by piping a long rope onto greased parchment, and later peeled it off and wrapped it around my cake for a border!

Sorry, I'm not sure if this has been addressed or not, can you use ANY powdered gumpaste mix or does it have to be this brand?

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 12:32am
post #104 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by akgirl10

Thanks for sharing, I wonder if this would work for piping messages. My hand writing sucks to begin with, it's worse on a cake.

Unfortunately you cant do the handwriting as it would be a mirror image.. so the words would be backwards when you tried to apply to your cake.. icon_biggrin.gif

You could do the writing if you turn the paper over and write it backwards. It should not be too hard to do as you are now seeing it backwards. When it dries then you can place it on your cake and it shows as the correct direction.
evelyn

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 1:14am
post #105 of 141

Thanks for sharing....I have to do more snowflakes and I'm all of this idea. Did you use the mix that already had the sugar in it?

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 11:19pm
post #106 of 141

With the gumpaste mix does everything need to be grease free like with royal icing?

SJenkins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJenkins Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 12:35am
post #107 of 141

Thanks for all the posts, I was looking into sugarveil for a wedding cake that I'm doing in March and thought I would check CC to see if there were any postings and how people liked it when I ran across this thread. I am definitely going to try this. Has anyone tried making ribbons and bows with this? if so how did you like the results?

FullHouse Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 11:58pm
post #108 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakegrandma

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by akgirl10

Thanks for sharing, I wonder if this would work for piping messages. My hand writing sucks to begin with, it's worse on a cake.

Unfortunately you cant do the handwriting as it would be a mirror image.. so the words would be backwards when you tried to apply to your cake.. icon_biggrin.gif

You could do the writing if you turn the paper over and write it backwards. It should not be too hard to do as you are now seeing it backwards. When it dries then you can place it on your cake and it shows as the correct direction.
evelyn

You wouldn't need to write it backwards, the top is what is seen, the back of the piping rests towards the cake. Like here:
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1940664

I just lightly greased a piece of parchment and piped out the web and lettering, let dry overnight, peeled off the parchment and the side that was against the parchment is the back of the design.

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 12:01am
post #109 of 141

Neat! what did you use to hold up the web?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullHouse

You wouldn't need to write it backwards, the top is what is seen, the back of the piping rests towards the cake. Like here:
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1940664

I just lightly greased a piece of parchment and piped out the web and lettering, let dry overnight, peeled off the parchment and the side that was against the parchment is the back of the design.

FullHouse Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 12:12am
post #110 of 141

Coffee stirrers icon_smile.gif.

Tails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tails Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 11:31am
post #111 of 141

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but can one use Tylose powder and water for the same effect? We dont have these brands you're talking about, but if tylose would work, how would it taste nice???

Mala Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mala Posted 9 Nov 2012 , 2:18pm
post #112 of 141

Can someone please post the recipe of the TBK White gumpaste mix? I'm curios if it is has eggs or gelatin coz I can't eat those :( Thanks in advance!

kkmcmahan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkmcmahan Posted 9 Nov 2012 , 2:33pm
post #113 of 141

The gum paste is a great idea.  Adding corn syurp or pipping gel also works well.  I will try the gum paste, sounds like it may be a good choice.  Thanks for the tip.

reeny4cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reeny4cakes Posted 9 Nov 2012 , 6:22pm
post #114 of 141

I have a doubt about sugarveil mats.. Does fondant work with the sugarveil mat jus like they work with any other silicon mold? or are they too intricate for that..

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 26 Nov 2012 , 6:31pm
post #115 of 141

this sounds very interesting.. might have to give it a try!

goodiegoddess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodiegoddess Posted 18 Dec 2012 , 2:45am
post #116 of 141

I have to try this!

cloetzu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cloetzu Posted 2 Jan 2013 , 9:25pm
post #117 of 141

Can someone either post a link to Baker's Kitchen or send me the link in a PM? ARe you referring to the business in the US or UK or other? I've Googled it and found a few hits so not sure which one is correct or even if either are ;(

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 2 Jan 2013 , 10:03pm
post #118 of 141

Thanks for sharing everyone.

Reeny  I have not tried it but I read somewhere recently to roll fondant on to sugarveil mats for a quick lace effect,

SimplyIrresistibleXO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplyIrresistibleXO Posted 2 Jan 2013 , 11:09pm
post #119 of 141

Awesome tip! Thanks!

arlenej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arlenej Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 3:30pm
post #120 of 141

I LIKE how you think!icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%