Just Used My Agbay For The 1St Time!!!!

Decorating By Classycakes Updated 12 Apr 2010 , 7:36pm by leah_s

Classycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Classycakes Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 9:04pm
post #1 of 30

OMG!!! This is absolutely fabulous! Just used my new Agbay for the first time and I can't believe how cleanly and quickly my cakes were leveled. I've been levelling my cakes by hand with toothpicks and an electric knife and it was taking me an enormous amount of time. It took literally seconds to slice through each cake and what a smooth cut! You'd be hard pressed to find a loose crumb!!!

I'm so happy I could cry!! With the busy wedding season just around the corner, this will save me so much time and effort.

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

29 replies
ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 10:37pm
post #2 of 30

I'm very happy for you icon_biggrin.gif I'm looking forward to having one of my own someday.

Question: are the blades as sturdy as them seem to be in the video? I tried the big Wilton leveler and took it back as soon as I tried to tort a cake and it came out lopsided because the blade wiggled and moved around.

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 10:50pm
post #3 of 30

I have only read good reviews about it and yours confirms it all. Which is why it's in the top of my list of things I need to buy! Can't wait to have one too. Thanks for the info! thumbs_up.gif

morrisaz2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morrisaz2004 Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 10:56pm
post #4 of 30

I just got mine a few weeks ago and am IN LOVE!!!!! What in the world did I ever do before I got it???? So glad that you found a similar love for it. It's definitely something I would recommend to anyone that wants an extremely level cake, but has an unsteady hand. So worth the money!

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 11:19pm
post #5 of 30

Love mine! It's like a hot knife through.. buttah!

Classycakes Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 11:21pm
post #6 of 30

I bought the large Wilton leveller a few years ago, used it a couple of times, and then threw it in my junk pile! The blades were so wobbly and my cakes came out so uneven. Yuk!!! I went back to my electric knife!! icon_mad.gif

The Agbay has a very sturdy blade - absolutely no movement at all.

Honest to God, I could hardly believe how smooth it cut the cake. No crumbs! And then I spread my filling on the first cake. When I put the other cake on top, you could hardly tell it was torted. The two cakes just fit right together so snug.

It's not very often that I buy something that so exceeds my expectations but this Agbay is beyond anything I expected.

I'm doin' my happy dance!!!!

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 11:37pm
post #7 of 30

Next on my cake list!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Katie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie1985 Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 11:39pm
post #8 of 30

im new to cake decorating, and ive only used the cheap 3 dollar leveler from michaels because ive only made small round cakes. For the first time i made a sheet cake that was 11 x 15 and found how time consuming and how difficult it is to torte. I really enjoy decorating and hope to do it as a business one day. I looked at the website and saw the price for the agbay icon_sad.gif im going to start saving up!!! but im wondering if anyone got a better price, wondering where i might find it other than the agbay website.

morrisaz2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morrisaz2004 Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 11:57pm
post #9 of 30

Katie1985 - You can't find the Agbay anywhere else. I looked everywhere for it, including ebay. When I talked to Maureen (the owner of Agbay), I told her that I looked for it elsewhere, even to find a used one. She informed me that in all the years she has been in business, she only knows of 2 that have ever been sold used. One was in the UK and one was left to a cake club for auction, when a lady passed away. To me, that is a pretty amazing testament to the product and what people think of it after they get one. It will be well worth saving the money for it. Happy Baking!!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 12:26am
post #10 of 30

It is seriously my most treasured piece of equipment. Well, that and my 20qt Hobart. It is Absolutely, Positively, Undoubtedly Worth Every Penny.

anasazi17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasazi17 Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 1:00am
post #11 of 30

Oh I am sooo excited to purchase one soon. Did you get the deluxe model w/2 blades? I am not sure which to get...but I gotta have one soon! Yay for you and your new Agbay icon_smile.gif

Classycakes Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 1:05am
post #12 of 30

Thank you, thank you.....

I just got the basic model but it has the capability of adding the second blade. We'll see how it goes!

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 1:46am
post #13 of 30

Do you have to rub it in? lol icon_smile.gif I cannot wait to get one since I'm terrible with leveling!!!!

Katie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie1985 Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 6:17am
post #14 of 30

thanks morrisaz2004, that info was really helpful!!! Ive already started my piggybank!!!

kaseyrconnect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseyrconnect Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 6:50am
post #15 of 30

I just got mine 2 weeks ago, and I am still doing the happy dance. I had gotten other cake levelers in the past, but had no luck with them, so I was doubtful about the agbay when I first heard about it, but after reading that so many others had one and really seemed happy with it, I thought that I would just go ahead and get one. I am just so impressed with it. I used to have such a mess when I leveled my cakes with a serrated knife, and it took so long to get them perfectly even and usually they weren't even. Now, I have no mess, I'm done in a matter of seconds and they are all perfect.

KarmaStew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarmaStew Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 10:41am
post #16 of 30

I love my Agbay!

That Wilton leveler is crap. Chuck it and buy an Agbay (or start saving your pennies for one!)

leah_s Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 12:30pm
post #17 of 30

Waitaminit. You can add a second blade to the single blade model? Since when???

Classycakes Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 12:45pm
post #18 of 30

Leah, the single blade model I bought is now adaptable if you want to add the second blade at a later date. I don't need the second blade right now because I'm just leveling 2" cakes but it's nice to know I can add it on should the need arise.

sugarbuddy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarbuddy Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 1:03pm
post #19 of 30

I only have the single blade Agbay but not sure how I did before! I love it! A level cake EVERY time! Highly recommend it!

Classycakes Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 1:10pm
post #20 of 30

Yes, and not only level but CLEAN!!! No mess!! When I was cutting them with the electric knife, I had crumbs up to my arm pits. Crumbs on the table, on the floor, on me. After every single cut, I had to clean up before I started the next flavour. What an amazing difference a quality tool like the Agbay makes!!!!

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 2:11pm
post #21 of 30

Can I ask what you ended up paying for shipping and whether you got hit by duty? That's what's putting me off buying one...

sgraff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgraff Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 2:14pm
post #22 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by morrisaz2004

Katie1985 - You can't find the Agbay anywhere else. I looked everywhere for it, including ebay. When I talked to Maureen (the owner of Agbay), I told her that I looked for it elsewhere, even to find a used one. She informed me that in all the years she has been in business, she only knows of 2 that have ever been sold used. One was in the UK and one was left to a cake club for auction, when a lady passed away. To me, that is a pretty amazing testament to the product and what people think of it after they get one. It will be well worth saving the money for it. Happy Baking!!

There was an Agbay on Ebay last month (I have an autosearch set up just for this icon_smile.gif ) and it ended up going for about $20 less than a brand new one. For that I will just keep saving for a new one!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 2:30pm
post #23 of 30

You guys are totally talking me into it....I torted a cake by hand this week, five thin layers and four layers of filling...totally needed that thing!

leah_s Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 2:41pm
post #24 of 30

Kita - 5 thin layers without an Agbay? icon_eek.giftapedshut.gif

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 2:41pm
post #25 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

It is seriously my most treasured piece of equipment. It is Absolutely, Positively, Undoubtedly Worth Every Penny.

Ditto times 100.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 3:33pm
post #26 of 30
Quote:

Kita - 5 thin layers without an Agbay? icon_eek.giftapedshut.gif

Yeah I'm a glutton for punishment. icon_lol.gif

Luckily it was only for an 8" cake.

Saved the link for the agbay...just the normal one, or whats with the new double blade one?

Classycakes Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 6:01pm
post #27 of 30

Tubbs, it cost me $34 US to ship to Mount Pearl, Newfoundland. At the door, I paid $27 Canadian for duty. I didn't think that was too bad at all! With the dollar at par (or pretty darn close), it makes the deal even more sweeter! icon_lol.gif

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 7:08pm
post #28 of 30
Quote:

Waitaminit. You can add a second blade to the single blade model? Since when???

Maureen was at the Connecticut cake show and was demoing this they redesigned the single blade so that the blade goes all the way down (not just to the feet) and so that the second blade can be added on later.

I have the original one and it still works as good as the day i took it out of the box.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 7:24pm
post #29 of 30

Hey leah_s if you decide to upgrade to the new model, I'll buy your old oneicon_wink.gif
Actually I'm planning on spending part of my tax return on the Agbay when it comes in. I already informed DH I'm taking out the money for my Agbay. I'm a hobby baker and I know I really really don't need one but I really really want one and every time I spend more than $20 on anything, I think ...that could have gone to my Agbay so dang it ...I'm gonna suck it up and buy it. I saw the one on ebay too and once it got close to new price I didn't see the point. I have NEVER seen a bad report on the Agbay..who can say thaticon_smile.gif

leah_s Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 7:36pm
post #30 of 30

I have the delux anyway. And I'm not parting with it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%