Making Your Own Seperator Plates W/feet?

Decorating By sheilabelle Updated 8 Apr 2010 , 5:31pm by Debi2

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 3:47pm
post #1 of 6

I need a 4" square seperator plate that will work with the Wilton push in pillars. I can't find a plate smaller than 6" and I need 4". I figured I could cut out a piece foam core board to 4" square, but don't know what to use for the feet? Any ideas? I need it for this weekend. There will be spaces between the cakes with flowers inserted. I am doing a 12" square, 8" round, and 4" square. Nothing like being prepared. TIA for any and all suggestions.

5 replies
cakesbybert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbybert Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 4:06pm
post #2 of 6

Since this is more than likely the top tier, you can glue some kind of small caps to the bottom of the board. You really just need something to keep the plate steady on top of the pillars. It is just a matter of finding something that will fit inside the pillar. Look in the hardware dept for end caps for small hoses - or do like I do just browse down through the isles (this drives workers crazy!! Them: "What can I help you find?" Me: "Don't know, but I will know it when I find it.") HTH

sheilabelle Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 4:16pm
post #3 of 6

I was thinking about using some dowels and have my DH cut them then hot glue to bottom.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 5:00pm
post #4 of 6

Your idea will work icon_smile.gif Or you can get some putty (even playdough) and put a blob on the plate so the 'pillars' set into it.

sheilabelle Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 2:32am
post #5 of 6

Awesome idea kakeladi. I went to the hardware with my husband and found some plugs in the plumbing dept. that will work great. Kind of funny, I'm in the plumbing dept. with my Wilton column seeing which would fit best. Had some guys giving me strange looks. lol

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 5:31pm
post #6 of 6

Too funny Bert!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%