Flower Cascades

Decorating By Kaytecake Updated 4 Apr 2010 , 8:32am by Kaytecake

Kaytecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaytecake Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 2:11am
post #1 of 5

I've been looking at the beautiful tired cakes in the galleries here and was hoping to find out how you attach the flowers. How do you make the flower cascades for tired cakes? Do you do them in sections or in a long attached "rope"? Can anyone recommend a book or DVD for arranging gumpaste flowers for cake decorating? I'd appreciate your help and I thank you for any suggestions. icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 2:21am
post #2 of 5

There are many ways, you can make your BC flowers or fondant....and attach with BC, or RI, or Melted candy....

Ive read that some attach them to wear, and then dip the wire in melted candy and place a stir straw in the cake and then the flower into the stir straw....never let wire or taped wire touch the cake...or for that a stem from a real flower, nor the tape if you tape it off...they use reg. straws as holders in the cake...some use real flowers and break it off close to the stems edge and then bc, ri or candy melt to apply to the cake.

hope this helps. do a search and alot comes up, do a you tube search also....

Kaytecake Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 2:40am
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2txmedics

There are many ways, you can make your BC flowers or fondant....and attach with BC, or RI, or Melted candy....

Ive read that some attach them to wear, and then dip the wire in melted candy and place a stir straw in the cake and then the flower into the stir straw....never let wire or taped wire touch the cake...or for that a stem from a real flower, nor the tape if you tape it off...they use reg. straws as holders in the cake...some use real flowers and break it off close to the stems edge and then bc, ri or candy melt to apply to the cake.

hope this helps. do a search and alot comes up, do a you tube search also....

Thanks, 2txmedics. I thought that it might involve cocktail sticks or straws- I just wasn't sure how to start. I have a couple nice books for making flowers but nothing on how to combine and attach them. I'll check out Youtube. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 6:20am
post #4 of 5

here's a thread with how I attach BC roses down a tiered cake: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-674832-cascade.html

Kaytecake Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 8:32am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

here's a thread with how I attach BC roses down a tiered cake: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-674832-cascade.html

Thank you, Indydebi! Your cake was beautiful- the flowers were balanced and perfect for the scale of the cake. I'm not good at making BC flowers so I'm making them from gumpaste. My granddaughter wants a purple cake with flowers and white butterflies for her birthday next month and and I wasn't sure how to tie it all together. I'll probably cover the cake with fondant. I didn't think of starting from the bottom but it makes sense to me now. I thought that a cascade was made by attaching sprays to a main wire or something. So much to learn. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%