2 Cake Orders... Should I Price Lower?

Business By dalis4joe Updated 25 Apr 2010 , 6:49pm by dalis4joe

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 3:15am
post #1 of 32

I have a client that just ordered 2 birthday cakes... one for 30 serv, and the other for 20 serv,

DH thinks we should charge less than we usually do, because it's 2 cake orders...

I think we should charge as we always do...

He is thinking that at $5.00 a serving is too much to charge... please gimme some opinions here... I need to give him the quote tmo PM...

It's for 2 regular b-day cakes... themed... but no carving..

TIA

31 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 3:26am
post #2 of 32

I don't do discounts. If they order 2 cakes, they pay the going rate for each. After all, 2 cakes are more work than 1.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 3:28am
post #3 of 32

i am with you. charge as you always do. 2 cakes. 2 different prices at your going rate.hth

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 3:38am
post #4 of 32

Is DH making the cakes or you? icon_smile.gif

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 3:39am
post #5 of 32

Ummmm....that's a hard one for me. You are still going to do the same amount of work regarless of the fact that they are going to the same person.... Has the client asked for a discount? If she knows the price of the cakes, and hasn't asked for a discount, I wouldn't offer one.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 4:06am
post #6 of 32

If they came from different people would they get a discount?

If she ordered one bigger cake instead of two would she get a discount?

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 4:21am
post #7 of 32

Don't do it, once you do, they will expect it all the time.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 4:24am
post #8 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisskween

Don't do it, once you do, they will expect it all the time.

Yes they will.

dalis4joe Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 4:25am
post #9 of 32

That's what I needed DH to see.... (btw... I AM making them not him lol) thanks... for showing DH that it doesn't matter... I didn't even think about some of the thing u guys said... it's so true... it's more work.. and I don't want to get ANYONE used to getting discounts... (gota remember the article czar posted...)

Thanks guys... I can now give the quote with more confidence... love ya!

katystinykitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katystinykitchen Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 4:35am
post #10 of 32

Whenever I make goodies I always send the extra with DH for his co-workers to enjoy and spread the word. One woman wanted to buy 24 cupcakes from me and when DH told her the price (without a discount) she balked and said "it's just for my daughters classmates!" She ended up buying some from WalMart. You get what you pay for!

Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 7:02am
post #11 of 32

I'm glad to hear you are standing your ground.
A discount is a valuable tool that needs to be used only after careful consideration, not "just because" - and 50 servings hardly counts as a good reason. Wedding cakes are usually twice that size.
Offering the customer a lower price, without a very very good reason, is just bad business sense.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 7:54am
post #12 of 32

If my husband had his way, I'd never charge for anything. He'd have me give every cake away. He is embarrassed by my prices, because he thinks I charge waaay too much. I only do buttercream, no fondant. I charge $2/serving (base price) for sheets and shaped cakes, and $3/serving (base price) for wedding/tiered cakes. Hardly earth shaking by anyone's standards. Ironically, this is a man who thinks nothing of spending $1000 on the newest electronic gadget.

I told him that he can charge whatever he wants for any cake order he takes, then buys supplies and makes frosting, and bakes, levels, tortes, ices, smooths, decorates (etc, etc,etc) and presents to his clients. But I am gonna charge what I want to charge and he has NO say about it.

Men! meh... icon_rolleyes.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 9:38am
post #13 of 32

50 servings of cake ... especially when it's in two separate cakes ... does not "big volume" make.

"Oh walmart! If I buy TWO gallons of milk, can I get a discount?" icon_confused.gif

Here's my story of how I stopped my hubby from discounting or giving away MY labor and profit. If you've never read my "he's paying for the chocolate fountain" story, I'm pretty sure you wont' want to miss it!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=668810&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=hubby&&start=15
(page 2 ..... 3rd post from the bottom)

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 11:24am
post #14 of 32

No discount! Once you do it they will expect it every time! icon_smile.gif

dalis4joe Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 11:56am
post #15 of 32

SugarFrosted.... I need to stand my ground just like you.... he always wants to "discount" and I need to make this worth some money... I work my b#!T off for every cake I do... and he doesn't think anything of it...

Debi... u crack me up lol... the walmart thing... so so so true... I spend 1000's at walmart and they have never given me a discount lol.... I'm going to read your thread now... icon_smile.gif

dalis4joe Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 12:03pm
post #16 of 32

hahahahahahaha debi!!! u made him pay all that?!?!?! you know thinking about what I just read... we don't tell THEM how to charge when they own their business (eg mechanics, barbers, plumbers, etc...) and those are steep prices as we all know... why should I?

5.00 per slice is what I have seen most people charge... it's not like I am asking 20 a slice...

I am so convinced... and is he says no... then... on to my next one... I know I will have some no's - it's part of the business...

we are also already looking at places to get our own shop... how will I make the rent if I don't charge a decent amount?

Thanks my peepz.... I know without all the info.. and great advice here at cc... I would be clueless as to how to run my bus...

indydebi Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 12:13pm
post #17 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalis4joe

I am so convinced... and is he says no... then... on to my next one... I know I will have some no's - it's part of the business...

we are also already looking at places to get our own shop... how will I make the rent if I don't charge a decent amount?

You: "I'm selling it for this much"
Him: "That's too high."
You: "Oh honey how sweet of you! I didn't know you had an extra $1500 a month to pay my shop rent because you can't seem to price MY cakes high enough to pay basic overhead! Thanks, sweetie!!"

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 2:41pm
post #18 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

You: "Oh honey how sweet of you! I didn't know you had an extra $1500 a month to pay my shop rent because you can't seem to price MY cakes high enough to pay basic overhead! Thanks, sweetie!!"

Perfect!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 11:31pm
post #19 of 32

Yeah, when he's going to do the work, he gets to set the price. Until then, butt out, pal! And I wouldn't discount, either. You wouldn't discount a two-tiered cake just because it's bigger than one tier, and those two cakes are just an unstacked two-tier cake!

TheDomesticDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheDomesticDiva Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 2:19am
post #20 of 32

I'm siding with you on this one! Stick to your prices!! icon_biggrin.gif

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 11:03pm
post #21 of 32

do not give a discount. It will still cost you the same for supplies and take as much of your time as if they were ordered by two different people!

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 11:42pm
post #22 of 32
Quote:

50 servings of cake ... especially when it's in two separate cakes ... does not "big volume" make.

"Oh walmart! If I buy TWO gallons of milk, can I get a discount?" icon_confused.gif

Here's my story of how I stopped my hubby from discounting or giving away MY labor and profit. If you've never read my "he's paying for the chocolate fountain" story, I'm pretty sure you wont' want to miss it!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=668810&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=hubby&&start=15

That is so beautifully awesome Debi! Sounds like something my DH would do...My "real" job is dog grooming and the shop I work for is the highest price in our area and also I'd bet the busiest, we're always booked at least two weeks in advance, more around holidays and vacations and we give NO discounts. Small dogs, shih-tzus, poodles, schnauzers, etc are all $50 bucks whether you bring us one or five, each one is 50 dollars. Happily we aren't hurting for business, the owner's house is paid off and he goes on frequent vacations, usually abroad and pays his employees very generously so we're all happier than if we were doing twice the work for half the price. My point is DON'T GIVE AWAY WHAT PEOPLE GLADLY WILL PAY FOR! icon_biggrin.gif

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 12:05am
post #23 of 32
Quote:

I love the chocolate fountain story. I'm still laughing

dalis4joe Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 12:59am
post #24 of 32

I also loved the chocolate fountain story..... and I did just like you guys said... no discount... here is the quote... take it or leave it....

I told DH just like debi said... when u buy 2 milks at walmart... do u ask for a discount?!?!?! hahahaha HE was MUTE! lol

Thanks... I will let you know if I got the order or not....

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 1:09am
post #25 of 32

Hubby used to think my prices are too high also. Since he actually started seeing the amount of work they take, he has changed his mind. It took a while but he's there now. At times, he actually thinks I should charge more.

dalis4joe Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 1:15am
post #26 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracycakes

Hubby used to think my prices are too high also. Since he actually started seeing the amount of work they take, he has changed his mind. It took a while but he's there now. At times, he actually thinks I should charge more.

I can't wait for MY DH to start seeing that also!!!!

Kandykin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kandykin Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 4:53am
post #27 of 32

I'm loving this thread. My DH thinks friends and family discount should be 50%! and sadly I have been giving that to his friends, hoping I'll get repeat business out of it. I know, I know...I've read many posts advising against going down that road - but having someone constantly breathing down your neck about it seems to do me in, I'm too weak I guess icon_cry.gif

Ironically, when it comes to my friends, he thinks I should charge full price because and I quote him ; " if you think about it, you'd be paid more per hour washing dishes at a McDonalds". He was all for putting a higher price on my expertise when I first started.....till HIS friends started asking for my cakes!

Thanks to my CC family, I can be a little more forceful and stand my ground. I might even take a page off of Indi's book of troubleshooting and make him pay for the discount he wants me to offer his friends!

Thank you ladies!

indydebi Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 4:55am
post #28 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandykin

Ironically, when it comes to my friends, he thinks I should charge full price because and I quote him ; " if you think about it, you'd be paid more per hour washing dishes at a McDonalds". He was all for putting a higher price on my expertise when I first started.....till HIS friends started asking for my cakes!

First, when he needs a price for one of his friends, ask him which price he thinks you should charge for one of YOUR friends. Then ask him, "what's the difference?"

Second ...... read my chocolate fountain story (link above). thumbs_up.gif

Kandykin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kandykin Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 5:16am
post #29 of 32
Quote:

Second ...... read my chocolate fountain story (link above). thumbs_up.gif

I did....HILARIOUS! I was refering to YOUR book of troubleshooting Indy icon_smile.gif

Someone from his work wants a Birthday cake for her son - guess who's going to be paying for the discount this time?! Hint... not me. Thanks Indy.

thumbs_up.gif

keystone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keystone Posted 24 Apr 2010 , 12:58am
post #30 of 32

This is a great thread! Loved the chocolate fountain story.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%