Crumb/dirty Coating Dilemma

Decorating By slsharratt Updated 1 Apr 2010 , 3:57pm by Odyssey

slsharratt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slsharratt Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 12:32am
post #1 of 13

I dont have the patience to properly crumb coat. My icing is nearly always too thick and then it just pulls off the cake. How thin should it be? The last b/c cake I made, i ended up just using my hands to press the icing to the cake - i was wearing gloves. It was awful! thank goodness it was just a practice for flavors cake.
I am making a 2-tiered bridal shower cake using 2 9 inch rounds for the bottom tier, and 2 6 inch rounds. I am planning on making a double (2lb powered sugar) batch of icing for the crumb coat, and a double batch for the final B/C coat - adding seedless raspberry preserves to it. This will be enough icing, right?

12 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 12:37am
post #2 of 13

You need to make your bc thinner, you are making it waaaaaaay too thick.

slsharratt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slsharratt Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 12:45am
post #3 of 13

but how thin???? i always think its thin enough, until i get it in the bag with the cake icer tip and make that first pass... then its "aww crap"

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 12:55am
post #4 of 13

Make it almost as thin as canned icing.

LaBoulangerie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBoulangerie Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 1:22am
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by slsharratt

but how thin???? i always think its thin enough, until i get it in the bag with the cake icer tip and make that first pass... then its "aww crap"

I feel your pain! I had this problem for a lonnngggg time. I gradually added more milk to my BC and mixed until it was just thick enough to hold its shape. I test it by lifting up my KA mixer and looking at the whisk. If the BC on the beater falls, it is too thin. Get it just to the point that is is light and hold it's shape, you will be fine! As someone said earlier, it should be almost the consistency of canned icing. Hope that helps!

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 2:04am
post #6 of 13
Quote:

I dont have the patience to properly crumb coat. My icing is nearly always too thick and then it just pulls off the cake. How thin should it be? The last b/c cake I made, i ended up just using my hands to press the icing to the cake - i was wearing gloves. It was awful! thank goodness it was just a practice for flavors cake.
I am making a 2-tiered bridal shower cake using 2 9 inch rounds for the bottom tier, and 2 6 inch rounds. I am planning on making a double (2lb powered sugar) batch of icing for the crumb coat, and a double batch for the final B/C coat - adding seedless raspberry preserves to it. This will be enough icing, right?

It should be thinner than the final icing you plan to ice with.

Personally, I use the same icing for both crumb and final. I crumb, chill a couple hours, then apply the final coat.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 3:27am
post #7 of 13

Debi's Finger Poke Test:

Poke finger in icing. If it comes back:

with no icing on your finger, then the icing is too thick for spreading in any form. If you try to pipe with it, you'll get carpel tunnel.

with some icing, then it's ok for roses and any hard-to-hold shaped piping; this can be ok for spreading/icing, too, depending on your recipe and preference (it's the one I use for everything ... flowers, borders, piping, crumbing and icing).

with lots of icing, then it's great for spreading and icing cakes.

I love these scientific test methods! They work every time! thumbs_up.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 3:35am
post #8 of 13

My crumb coat and final coat is done with the same icing. I don't thin it for crumb coating. If you're having to put it on with your hands I'd say your icing is too thick to even ice the cake with. What receipe are you using?

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 4:03am
post #9 of 13

Now I know the finger test lol...

I never have a problem with the consistency... and I also use the same for both crumb coat and final....

They way I check... I take an off set spatula and pass it on top of the bc... if it's smooth... it's like you can feel how it will spread by checking this way... but I like debi's way and will try it in my next batch... I also have started using sugarshack's bc and I follow it to the T and it comes out just perfect... no need to thin or tweak...

hth

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 2:42pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:

What is your exact recipe you use? List out the amounts of everything.

tamyarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamyarm Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 2:59pm
post #11 of 13

Debi's method works every time for me since I've started using it...i like the technical way...lol

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 3:07pm
post #12 of 13

It needs to be in the proper cosistency. Too hard will break your cake and wont spread.
Too soft will be to slipery for your second coat and wont crust propery.

Put the cake in the refrigerator and Ice cold. It will help with the crumbs.
Is a matter of trial and error, so dont get frustrated.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Odyssey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Odyssey Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 3:57pm
post #13 of 13

I very rarely crumb coat, especially if it's getting fondant, but then again my cakes don't have a lot of crumb to worry about and my initial coat of icing is rather thick.
I always dip my spatula in the icing and push it around in an S shaped pattern. If it feels fluffy and holds the S I'm done, if I get too much resistance I add small amounts of liquid until the spatula can easily sweep through the icing. You shouldn't have to strain to ice the cake.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%