My Wilton Fondant Letter Cutters Suck!!

Decorating By ChoueiriCakeCo Updated 1 Apr 2010 , 8:03pm by metria

ChoueiriCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 10:51pm
post #1 of 33

I had second thoughts about these cutters from the beginning but bought them only because I had a coupon...They look very unprofessional to me and don't even look as good as they do on the package! Here's a recent cake I made:

I just feel like these letters ruined the cake! It almost looks like a child cut the letters! The cake was for my DH so I'm sure he doesn't really mind, but I would love some suggestions for a more professional letter cutter. Thanks in advance!

32 replies
ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 10:58pm
post #2 of 33

are the metal one's, i bought those haven't used them, i don't like the ones for fondant that look like they are on ruler, a pain in the but, and really small, some said if you refrigerate them for a few minutes, but i don't think they were worth it thank goodness i bought with a coupon, does any one know if there are any script type out the at a nice size, with out buying every letter seperately i think your cake look good, wish we could see the entire cake

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 10:59pm
post #3 of 33

I'm not crazy about them either. I only use them on very casual cakes. I use the FMM Alphabet Set more than any other set. It's pretty yet casual.

malene541 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malene541 Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 11:08pm
post #4 of 33

Yes the do suck!! The only thing I've been able to do with them that worked great was make a bunch of strawberry seeds from using the small circles inside the "8". I would just poke out the inside circles and shape them like a seed which made them a perfect size. Other than that I'm surprised you were able to get the "B" even out!!! Mine just about hit the garbage when I tried to do a "B" about 5 times!
I have heard about other cutters but I haven't bought or been able to try them. ???

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 11:10pm
post #5 of 33

I love tappits. Takes a bit of fiddling with to get used to them but once you do they're great!

Teenz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teenz Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 11:16pm
post #6 of 33

I'm also joining the hate and frustration club on these!
The B almost made me loose my mind!
I still need to get another set of letters

pat-a-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pat-a-cakes Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 11:20pm
post #7 of 33

I too hate the wilton set. They are terribly overpriced and don't work at all. I have found a few sets of Play-doh cutters that work a whole lot better and cost a fraction of the price.

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 11:20pm
post #8 of 33

I also bought those with a coupon and they are not usable, just really bad. I have some of the tappits but when I needed that "block" letter style for a child's cake (the hollywood cake in my pics) I used and loved my dd's playdoh letter cutters! icon_lol.gif I'm just glad I was able to find the letters I needed, should have seen me going thru her boxes of toys... I've kept them for my cake stuff now.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 12:09am
post #9 of 33

tappits and patchworks.... the best....

AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 12:17am
post #10 of 33

Another inferior Wilton product...

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 12:19am
post #11 of 33

patchwork, JEM and tappits have very good letter cutters

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 12:24am
post #12 of 33

Ha - how timely that this thread was posted. Just yesterday a couple cake friends were over for a "fun day" and I pulled out some of my toys and that horrible Wilton letter set was in there. When asked if I ever use it, I told them no, and came "this close" <pinching thumb and finger> to throwing them out and one of my friends laughed and said not to. She knows I'm notorious for throwing things out that I should probably keep, but this letter set is just c-rap. thumbsdown.gif

baker101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baker101 Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 12:32am
post #13 of 33

the b's and p's drive me mad. I so need a new cutter set but I think I will have to order online. The middle of the A cutter has fallen out to boot. I cant find any other than wiltons locally. icon_cry.gif

m1m Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m1m Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 12:38am
post #14 of 33

I actually like them. I dip the cutter onto my cornstarch puff and then press it on the fondant. They don't stick and I find them convenient to use.

They are very casual looking font.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 12:40am
post #15 of 33

Try rolling your fondant out and let it dry up a bit. Grease the cutter and then cut. If you are still having difficulty mix the fondant with some gumpaste, roll out, let dry a bit and then cut. Works for me.

Kims_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kims_cakes Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 12:58am
post #16 of 33

I don't like mine either! I tried everything I could think of and they still didn't work well. IF I ever use them again I'll have to let them dry a little. Maybe that's the key.

ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 2:02am
post #17 of 33

I didn't have any problems getting the letters out, I just don't like how they look (compared to some of the other cakes I've seen with cut-out letters). But I'll be looking online for the brands you all suggested.

m1m, the letters on the cake in your avatar look wonderful! That's the type of letter shapes I prefer.

If they sold other brands at Michaels, I would never buy anymore Wilton products! thumbsdown.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 4:11am
post #18 of 33

I'm not crazy about them but since they're all I have I've found that I can make them work for me by dipping my cutters in cornstarch and letting my fondant sit for about 10 minutes before cutting. I think the letters are kinda cute icon_smile.gif

VickiChicki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickiChicki Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 4:47am
post #19 of 33

I can not tell you all HOW MANY TIMES I have complained about those cutters! My main frustration has been the "B" (finally tore the inside out of mine and now use a round tip to cut out the centers) as well as the "A" - the fondant always gets stuck and I have to try to push it out! It usually takes several attempts! The "P" is not quite shaped properly either!
I have also thought someone should come out withcutters for slightly larger lettering. There are cutters available for about 4 to 5 inch letters and numbers, but I have found nothing in-between!
And WHY hasn't someone produced some quality "push moulds" for alphabet lettering and numbers???????????? I have bought numerous, adorable, themed push moulds for clay that work just as well for gumpaste and fondant, but have yet to find any suitable for letters and numbers.
I know there are several vendors that carry push moulds designed for cake decorators and they carry a vast variety of designs, but I have yet to find one that carries lettering and numbers.
WHAT IS THE HOLD-UP FOR TOOLS LIKE THIS?????????

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 4:59am
post #20 of 33

I'm so glad to hear it's not just me!!! I am headed to a "real" city next month, and I can't wait to go shopping for some cake toys.

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 11:51am
post #21 of 33

ok i'm confused, they are the medal ones, about 15 dollars, i haven't opened them yet, i do fondant, but i thought they would be good for bc to just to follow the shape. ok i got up and looked, they are wilton i got them on ebay for a good price, but i can see where the B would drive you nuts, i think i'll just use them for bc and fancy them up with some curls at the end of the letters,

m1m Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m1m Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 1:45pm
post #22 of 33

ChoueiriCakeCo,

The letters on my avatar are the Tappits. I like the font better, but for me personally, I think the Tappits are harder to use.

icon_smile.gif

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 2:20pm
post #23 of 33

I have the little metal letters by Wilton and I like mine. You need to do the same thing when using these as you do with Tappits (which in my opinion are not that easy to use). I use my KA pasta roller for my fondant, then let it sit for a few minutes, grease or cornstarch my cutter and that's it. I then let the letters sit again for a minute or two before I put them on the cake just like the Tappits.

If you are talking about a different set what does it look like as I am curious. I know they have this one set where the letters are real deep, like a mold looking letter. I bought those and struggled and swore while trying to use them and took them back!! I then realized that maybe these were supposed to be used with candy melts and now I am thinking about buying then again with a 50% off coupon.

ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 3:07pm
post #24 of 33

The cutters I used in the photo are the metal ones. I also have the wilton letters that leave an impression in the icing so that you can pipe over it (I forgot about those because they're also a pain to use!). I tested these on fondant and I think it looks a bit better (I just pressed it in enough to leave an impression), so at least I have something to use until I can get the tappits.

When I used the wilton letter cutters, I used fondant with tylose powder so it was stiff enough to pop right out of the cutter.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 3:13pm
post #25 of 33

These are one of the VERY few Wilton products I actually LIKE! I usually only use them for kid's cakes, because they do have that look, but they are SO easy to use! I roll my fondant nice and thin, dip the cutter in cornstarch and cut with no problem. The cornstarch makes the letters fall right out! On the rare occasion a letter sticks I just push it out with a cotton swab.

saapena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saapena Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 3:19pm
post #26 of 33

I also like these; I think they are much easier to use than the JEM cutters I have (although I love the font on those). For a casual birthday cake, I think they are great.

xanikesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xanikesmom Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 3:24pm
post #27 of 33

Are there any craft stores (Michael's, Hobby Lobby) that sell Tappits ... or are they just found online

saapena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saapena Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 3:25pm
post #28 of 33

I believe they are only found online; I have never seen them at any of the craft stores.

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 3:27pm
post #29 of 33

For those looking for a casual font in medium size (about 1.5in), I like the letters that came in the 101 cookie cutter set that I think you can get at any walmart. They are very similar to the Jello Jiggler cutters that were popular several years ago

ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 6:13pm
post #30 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

These are one of the VERY few Wilton products I actually LIKE! I usually only use them for kid's cakes, because they do have that look...

I agree with you on that one, and that's probably why I didn't like how the lettering turned out. I was hoping I could use those for all types of cakes, but the childish look definitely wouldn't work on a cake for an adult. Maybe I'll hold on to these just for kid themed cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%