Cake Boards

Decorating By arwa Updated 2 Apr 2010 , 10:19pm by cathie_shinnick

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 4:05pm
post #31 of 40

Ok, question since we are talking boards....Im recently moving up in my cake pans...meaning I just bought the oval set and today with my 50% Michaels coupon Im buying my either Diamond or Pasiley pans comes out to 26.00 for 4 pans....anywho

What boards do you use for these pans!!!! and how can or would someone make a tiered cake that is on pillars with these pans? there are no wilton cake boards (plastic) for these shapes...are they? Or do these cakes just stack and thats it?

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 4:52pm
post #32 of 40

You can use foam core boards and cut them to the shape you need.

ChoueiriCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 6:14pm
post #33 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Price

You can use foam core boards and cut them to the shape you need.

I agree, they're only a few dollars and you can cut several pieces with just one board. You may want to get an exacto-knife if you don't already have one.

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 6:21pm
post #34 of 40

You can use a square board for any shape cake. Or a rectangle one.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 7:01pm
post #35 of 40

2txmedics -- It's true you can use any shape for the base, but if I was stacking or tiering, I would cut my board for each tier the same shape as the cake. Each tier is going to need a board under it for support.

arwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arwa Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 6:15am
post #36 of 40

I tried covering the board with wrapping paper and then plastic wrap. It looked great but when cutting the fondant at the edge of the cake, It tears the plastic wrap as well. So that's out too icon_sad.gif

I guess I'll stick to the fondant !!

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 3:41am
post #37 of 40

Thanks so much for all the help, I did find a site that sells the pasiley, they call them commas, and hexagons, ovals....so I do have that site saved. was just wondering on how to tier them with pillars inbetween.
And I do have an Exacto set, I was given this as a gift for Mother days one yr...when I first started caking...lol...I was told I might need it one day.

cakesbyamandao Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamandao Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 3:28pm
post #38 of 40

I just did a cake for my daughter's 2nd birthday and I bought a cheap plastic tablecloth from a party store, used double side sticky tape to attach it to 4 cake boards glue together and glued ribbon around the outer edge. The tablecloth is waterproof so it wont grease up like wrapping paper without any cellophane or plastic wrap. (Made that mistake once). Worked like a charm with the tablecloth though!

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 4:00pm
post #39 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanCountingBaker

A lady who has stopped decorating cakes recently gave me a tip. Freezer paper is grease resistant so it makes a nice clean white suface for a cake board. It's food safe and not too expensive. I did my last cake on freezer paper covered foam core board and it looked simple and clean. I am going to look for ribbon the width of the foam core and start adding that as a finishing touch.

I'm a big fan of freezer paper as well (as you can see in my pics). I like the clean look it gives. But a word of warning: the grease resistance tends to make it slick surface too...be careful not to tilt your finished project until it has time to dry/adhere a bit (learned that lesson the hard way icon_rolleyes.gif ) I've also tried different methods of covering bases; but when I'm in a crunch, I always can depend on the freezer paper thumbs_up.gif

cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 10:19pm
post #40 of 40

I cover the cardboard cake circles(doubled) with fabric (washed clear water, no fabric softener), use an open stapler to attach and then cover the staples with clear tape... I always find the perfect covering and I have never had a problem with the buttercream bleeding. I do believe that all of my cakes in photos have fabric covered boards.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%