Make My Own Petal Dust

Decorating By DALIG Updated 6 May 2013 , 7:31pm by auntginn

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 12:58am
post #31 of 49

Thank you very much , I am going to have to check my art caddy to see if my chalks are non toxic. Thank you very much for sharing. I too learn something different everyday, I LOVE CAKE CENTRAL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cmartinez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmartinez09 Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 4:15am
post #32 of 49

Does anyone know if soft pastels work as well?

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 4:36am
post #33 of 49

I believe soft pastels are oil-based? Not entirely sure, but I use ONLY the good-quality artists water-based hard pastel non-toxic chalks.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 4:36am
post #34 of 49

Soft pastels work great. Stay away from oil pastels.

ToniRod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ToniRod Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 4:47am
post #35 of 49

So what kind of containers do you all use to keep the dust in once it is ground?? TIA

dsilvest Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 5:02am
post #36 of 49

I only grate enough for a single use on paper. The leftover piece of chalk pastel stays in it's box.
If you want to grate more, store it in a small plastic container that can be purchased at a dollar store in packages of 12. They are usually found in the craft department.

ToniRod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ToniRod Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 5:19am
post #37 of 49

Thanks so much for sharing! I was trying to envision how you all did this. Grating as needed seems like it might be the most efficient way.

Rusti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rusti Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 9:34pm
post #38 of 49

I use a mortar and pestle as well and I put them in little plastic storage cups with lids that I found by the artist supplies at Michaels.

cmartinez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmartinez09 Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 1:56am
post #39 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilvest

Soft pastels work great. Stay away from oil pastels.

Thank you icon_biggrin.gif

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 2:37am
post #40 of 49

I have just gone through this entire post and am thrilled at the ideas and suggestions along with examples shown.
I am going to go home and make some flowers just so I can experiment on them.

Love CC and all it's members!

ShandraB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShandraB Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 2:39am
post #41 of 49

I usually use a tea strainer for grating the pastels, but you can also gently scrape them with a craft knife.

I find it a lot easier to grate a bunch at once instead of little by little. To each his own.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 2:41am
post #42 of 49

I love the variety and results given by grinding my own dusts! I love making gum paste flowers and was really put off by the high costs for such teeny amounts of commercial dusts. (Plus that infernal shipping and handling!)

I have purchased different sets of pastels containing different colors. I rub the chalk, (artist pastels, not oil), against a tea strainer over waxed paper and pour the resultant powder into those little plastic bead jars found at Michael's. They come in a plastic case with stackable screw tops, 5 in a stack, 6 stacks in a case.

I use a gummed label on each one and have integrated my purchased dusts with those I've made. They are all arranged in graduating colors and I now have a fine palette for any project. It gives me an unlimited choice and range.

I also have several little plastic palettes in which I mix colors and I cover them with cling film between projects. Little make up sponges, both the pads and those on little sticks, along with an assortment of brushes are used to apply.

Then I steam them and sometimes re-dust for intensity. I used to just hold them over a tea kettle, but now use a little clothes steamer which I hang from a hook on my work table leg. It is always ready to go and I don't need to leave my work space to go to the kitchen.

There are examples of the range available in my photos. The Peace rose and the autumn leaf cake are two of my favorites. You can see what a variety of effects you can achieve.

Forgive my long-windedness, but I get really excited when I like something. And I do like the economy and variety achieved with making my own petal dusts!

Jan

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 3:07am
post #43 of 49

I've only used the non-oil pastels for this in the past. But always look with desire at the rich deep colors of the oil pastels whenever I pass them by at Michaels. Many folks here say not to use them. Can anyone tell me why you shouldn't use the oil based pastels?

dsilvest Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 3:11am
post #44 of 49

When you grate the oil pastels they are like crayon. The chalk pastels grate into dust that is easily brushed onto the fondant/gumpaste. Try looking for chalk pastels or soft pastels. The colours are intense.

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 3:44am
post #45 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by DALIG

I ve read that u can use chalk to color flowers

\\

When I suggested this exact thing 6 years ago on this very board and one other I was all but ran out of town on my ear.

Funny how things change because someone famous now does it.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 4:29am
post #46 of 49

That's weird!! Its been used in Australia and the UK to colour GP flowers and leaves etc for decades!

Did you ever suggest it can be eaten? It falls under the same category as disco dust - nontoxic, but shouldn't be eaten...which is why its used on GP decorations.

Sorry to hear you were almost lynched for suggesting it!

HeatherL1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherL1985 Posted 29 Nov 2012 , 4:24am
post #47 of 49

Has anyone ever made this and mixed it with Luster dust to make it shimmer. Is it possible to paint with it? I would think you would need A LOT of chalk to make a pant because it would dissolve. 

JustCupcakes13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustCupcakes13 Posted 6 May 2013 , 12:35pm
post #48 of 49

I am trying that today, I hope it works! The petal dusts you buy cost quite a lot of money! I don't have that much money to just spend of dust!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 6 May 2013 , 7:31pm
post #49 of 49

Since this thread, I've been using chalk, soft pastels and make-up.  They work great and I can create my own colors.  Loved the idea and they work very well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%