Is This A Sign I'm Getting Old?

Lounge By Kitagrl Updated 21 Mar 2010 , 1:33am by Kitagrl

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 7:47pm
post #31 of 173

I turned 49 in December so I too remember the origional Mr. Potato Head icon_lol.gif . I was talking to my 94 year old grandfather the other day and made the remark that I was getting old. He laughed and told me "no, I'M OLD!" He said "you know you're getting old when your children are old enough to draw social security."

lomfise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomfise Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 7:50pm
post #32 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalgatherings

The great thing about being in your fifties is you just don't care anymore about plucking those straggly black hairs growing out of your chin. I mean, it's just to hard to try and maintain all this. I'm goin for the full beard look icon_cry.gificon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Thank you, you've just made my evening after a long day. I laughed so hard I almost fell of the chair. icon_lol.gif

I'm "only" 27 but my friends are all having babies and getting married while I'm just finishing my education and don't even have a boyfriend, talk about feeling old!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 7:52pm
post #33 of 173

Loucinda, seriously, you're not like 30? haha. Too funny! Amazing how we "think" people online look, act, and how old they are!

I don't even wanna hear about plucking hairs...at only 35, being a lovely BRUNETTE I certainly have my share of plucking to do, and I've never had baby butt smooth legs since I was like a toddler!!!! By the time I'm in my fifties I'll totally have to be doing laser treatments.

globalgatherings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
globalgatherings Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 7:57pm
post #34 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by lomfise

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalgatherings

The great thing about being in your fifties is you just don't care anymore about plucking those straggly black hairs growing out of your chin. I mean, it's just to hard to try and maintain all this. I'm goin for the full beard look icon_cry.gificon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Thank you, you've just made my evening after a long day. I laughed so hard I almost fell of the chair. icon_lol.gif

I'm "only" 27 but my friends are all having babies and getting married while I'm just finishing my education and don't even have a boyfriend, talk about feeling old!

I don't have a boyfriend either!!! Could it be the beard???? icon_lol.gif

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 8:11pm
post #35 of 173

You all are really making me laugh during my lunch break!! My "On no I am getting moment" happened about 15 years ago when I was watching my friend's son and he asked to use the phone. I pointed to the red princess rotary phone sitting on the table. He walked over, picked it up and turned to me with a look of panic on this face. "What's wrong?" I asked. His lip trembling he said, "I don't know how to use this!" He only knew a touch pad and had the pattern on the pad memorized as the number......

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 8:14pm
post #36 of 173

linstead, hubby and I have said for a long time that someday we will see the question on Trivial Pursuit: "Why do we say DIAL a phone?" because our kids have no idea what that means.

I was heart broken when the Fischer Price telephone went to push button! icon_cry.gif Married daughter informed me yesterday, though, that they brought back the dial version! party.gif

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 8:16pm
post #37 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

linstead, hubby and I have said for a long time that someday we will see the question on Trivial Pursuit: "Why do we say DIAL a phone?" because our kids have no idea what that means.

I was heart broken when the Fischer Price telephone went to push button! icon_cry.gif Married daughter informed me yesterday, though, that they brought back the dial version! party.gif

Yes, they have the dial version. lol It was the only gift I REALLY wanted for my baby shower. Go figure. lol but my DD still loves it and she's amost 3.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 8:18pm
post #38 of 173

My kids don't know what a cassette tape is, much less a record....

I used to have those record storybooks where the 45 rpm record fit into the back of the book. Fun!

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 8:27pm
post #39 of 173

Remember the old 8 tracks?
Who else remembers sitting up late to watch the first moon walk?

nanikins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanikins Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 8:28pm
post #40 of 173

Went to visit my hubby's oldest sis a couple of years ago and her kids were AMAZED that you could make popcorn in a pot on the stove.

You mean you DON'T NEED a MICROWAVE?!?!?!?! icon_eek.gif

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 8:28pm
post #41 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts

You are not old! I'm 23 and I still feel like a baby, haha! IMO 23 is too young to get married... I know girls who are already divorced icon_sad.gif

I think 30 is the new 20, anyway.

My goodness I love yah for saying that !!!! I feel so old sometimes, I know I cried when I got my first gray hair icon_cry.gif

So you saying that means alot lol !!!

linstead Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 8:32pm
post #42 of 173

Heck - we didn't have a dishwasher when I grew - me and my sister were the dishwashers....

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 8:42pm
post #43 of 173
Quote:

You know you're getting old(er), when:

- You start describing everyone as a "kid"
- YOu realize you're tired because you got up so many times last night to go pee
- the first time you use the phrase "Back in MY day" ..... and you're NOT trying to be sarcastic or funny!
- It takes you a while to not walk funny when you first get out of bed, until your joints and muscles get into sync
- when people describe your furniture and decor as "Oh! So retro!"
- when you see the toys you played with as a kid in a museum (oh yeah, THAT one hurt!)
- when you're the only one in the room who was actually old enough to vote in the election between Reagan and Carter. (Heck, I've been in the situation where I was the only one who was actually ALIVE during that election!)
- Your grandchildren measure how old something is by seeing how young gramma was at the time (The TV show "The Munsters" came out when gramma was 5 years old .... wow! that is ANCIENT said my granddaughter!) ..... and you actually remember watching the show in primetime!!

I love your list, but I think you should add one more in. That's when you say, "does this mean I must be getting old if I ......." Sorry OP, just couldn't resist. icon_lol.gif

And yes, I had a Chatty Cathy, but hated dolls, couldn't get the easy bake oven because "you have to keep buying supplies". That's what my mom told me. Does anyone remember Gaylord the Dog? He was the first dog that actually walked. (I have one now). and a Mr. Mixit? (I have 3 of them)

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 8:50pm
post #44 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

... couldn't get the easy bake oven because "you have to keep buying supplies". That's what my mom told me.

We took the cheap way out on those. My mom REFUSED to pay that kind of money for special mixes. She bought the Jiffy Brand cake, biscuit, muffin mixes (back then, they were like 10 cents a box). We'd make up a batch and keep it in a bowl in the 'frig and just use what we needed when we fired up the easy bake.

That was my life lesson in "yes you CAN make cake batter ahead of time and store it in the 'frig." We did it all the time! thumbs_up.gif

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 8:51pm
post #45 of 173

I listened to 8-tracks. 32 yo here. LOL

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 9:40pm
post #46 of 173
Quote:

You know you're getting old(er), when......

sometimes when the young ladies in my office are whining about their blackberry being 30secs slow or how their 24" screen needs to be bigger i tell them what it was like way back in my days as a office junior (23yrs ago btw).

noone had a computer, didnt have a fax machine, i had to go to the stationary store to use their fax machine, accounts were all done via a manual hand written Kalamazoo method (and it balanced & worked everytime!) ...... they have no idea what it was like back then!

i also do payroll and i remember when the 1980's born babies started hitting my employment records and i would make coment about it.. now im getting 1990'S born babies - thats scary

Mrs-A Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 9:46pm
post #47 of 173
Quote:

linstead, hubby and I have said for a long time that someday we will see the question on Trivial Pursuit: "Why do we say DIAL a phone?" because our kids have no idea what that means. .....

when my only niece was younger she walked into the living room and asked what was wrong with our tv, i said nothing, she said but there is no colour-is it broken?

yep, it was an old black and white movie (betty davis i think) and she didnt know that once upon a time.. before colour tv's......

linstead Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 9:56pm
post #48 of 173

Hey did I mention I am old enough to vaguely remember party lines (for the dial phones?).

And did anyone see Cake Boss the night Buddy baked and decorated a cake using the Easy Bake oven? It is still in style.....

cownsj Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 10:05pm
post #49 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by aundrea

Hey I also remember when you could go to mcdonalds with one or two dollars and get a complete meal.
!

Boy, you are young, I remember when we would drive out to Harrisburg, Pa. to visit my uncle in the hospital. It was a real treat because there was this McDonald's we could go to (none near us in NJ), and we got a hamburger, french fries and a coke for a quarter. Then when I was a little older in high school, we would go to the local pizza place for lunch, 2 slices and a coke for 50 cents.

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 10:07pm
post #50 of 173

I remember going to a friends to watch the Beatles on Ed Sullivan

I remember watching JFK's funeral on tv

My first car was a chevy vega, manual transmission of course

and in college, we didn't have computers but did programming with punch cards ........ for the life of me, I can't remember how that worked........

damn I'm old.

Mrs-A Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 10:08pm
post #51 of 173

oh gosh... i remember visiting my dad in hospital in the late 70's and patients were allowed to smoke in their beds back then and my first office job in the late 80's, people where allowed to smoke at their desks and i remember the factory staff went on strike when no smoking rules came into force

down here we have almost a zero tolerance to smoking so no smoking in shopping centres, restaurants, outdoor cafes etc so when i tell the young ones in the office about this they are shocked

cownsj Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 10:09pm
post #52 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

I have old Donny Osmond albums and The Osmond Brother's albums somewhere still. Nothing to play them on, and they are probably scratched beyond recognition at this point. I think they are in my mom's attic.

Oh and I was a BIG Jack Wild fan. I would watch HR Puff N'Stuff every Saturday just to see that hottie!

I bought my "Meet the Beatles" album when it first came out, and still have it. I still have all my albums that I ever bought, plus tons more we still buy all the time. AND, we listen to them all the time. I prefer listening to my 33's, and 45's to a CD any day. Anyone remember the episode of Raymond when he tries to replace records of Frank's with new CD's and can't understand why Frank doesn't like them, but is in heaven when Robert finds copies of his old albums for him? Oh yes, definitely vinyl.

cownsj Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 10:14pm
post #53 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by nannie

I remember going to a friends to watch the Beatles on Ed Sullivan

I remember watching JFK's funeral on tv

My first car was a chevy vega, manual transmission of course

and in college, we didn't have computers but did programming with punch cards ........ for the life of me, I can't remember how that worked........

damn I'm old.

I remember when they announced JFK's assassination over the loudspeaker in school. I still remember which kids sat crying at their desks even after school got out. And I remember my dad making us stay in the watch the funeral when we wanted to be outside playing. I've always been thankful he made us watch it.

I remember being so upset and simply could NOT understand why my parents wouldn't let me go see the Beatles t Shea Stadium. The fact that I was 9 years old may have had something to do with it, but you couldn't convince me back then. Didn't they know how much I loved the Beatles?

Remember, "You can't trust anyone over 30"!

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 10:16pm
post #54 of 173

oh, and Debi

some of us need our bifocals before we can pluck icon_cry.gif

kse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kse Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 10:43pm
post #55 of 173

Oh, I don't think I'm getting old, I just call everyone "honey" or "dear"!!!

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 10:48pm
post #56 of 173

I first realized I was getting old when I was standing in line at the grocery store, and realized nearly every other person there was younger than I was.

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 11:10pm
post #57 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

Quote:
Originally Posted by aundrea

Hey I also remember when you could go to mcdonalds with one or two dollars and get a complete meal.
!

Boy, you are young, I remember when we would drive out to Harrisburg, Pa. to visit my uncle in the hospital. It was a real treat because there was this McDonald's we could go to (none near us in NJ), and we got a hamburger, french fries and a coke for a quarter.

Yep! I remember it costing a quarter also! Any one have their Tiny Tears doll? or Thumbalina? My mom almost killed me when I gave Tiny Tears away to a neighbor girl. But I have Thumbalina (in perfect condition). What about the original Barbie (blonde in a B&W stripe one piece), original Ken, then Bubble Barbie, Midge, and Ken's friend Andy? Ricky Nelson's Bee Bop Baby on 45? Man! Those were the days! (Wasn't this a song back then too? lol Sure is nice to know after all this time that I'm in good company here!!!

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 11:20pm
post #58 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

I have old Donny Osmond albums and The Osmond Brother's albums somewhere still. Nothing to play them on, and they are probably scratched beyond recognition at this point. I think they are in my mom's attic.

Oh and I was a BIG Jack Wild fan. I would watch HR Puff N'Stuff every Saturday just to see that hottie!

Cakesdivine, I thought for sure I was going to marry Donny! When he won Dancing with the Stars a little piece of long and happily married me thought, "that should be me up there with him" icon_biggrin.gif.

David Cassidy, (presurgeries) Michael Jackson, and Jack Wild (gosh, hardly anyone knows who he is!) were pretty close on his heels, though.

globalgatherings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
globalgatherings Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 11:32pm
post #59 of 173

I remember when my Dad and I would drive to the Ginn gas station to fill up because gas was 25 cents a gallon and all the other stations it was 27 cents icon_cry.gif

I don't remember Jack Wild, who as that??

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 11:35pm
post #60 of 173

Puppy Love.......yep Donny Osmond!!!

Who remembers Suzy Homemaker stuff???

Kita - I am on the downhill side to 100 this year! icon_biggrin.gif I don't have many grey hairs though! icon_wink.gif (My Dad is in his 70's and still doesn't have any gray hair)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%