Is This A Sign I'm Getting Old?

Lounge By Kitagrl Updated 21 Mar 2010 , 1:33am by Kitagrl

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 8:35pm
post #151 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefbarbie0513

I'm wondering if anyone will explain the stamps to me? Why did you collect them? Did you get something for free if you had a certian amount? Someone mentioned puting them in a book, so was it regular post office stamp collecting. Help!! I'm 1976 baby.

I'm 1975 but some isolated stores did green stamps through the 80s! It was like everytime you shopped at certain stores you earned stamps for like every $5 or $10 you spent. Then, there was a catalog of household stuff you could buy with the stamps you collected. It was HUGE when my mom was just married and stuff and there was one grocery store in south dakota still doing it by the time I was a teenager, but it was about done by that time.

We have a grocery store right now that you can collect stamps to buy some pots but its a limited time thing, and you have to spend ALOT of money just to earn one pan. haha.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 8:35pm
post #152 of 173

Oh how about mood rings?

Chef you got them in lots of things and you put them in a book then when you got a book full or several there was a catalog that you could order things from.

davespeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
davespeg Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 8:35pm
post #153 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannie

well for Doug's sake let's not even discuss how certain womanly products have changed over the years ... icon_razz.gif

That was Tyra's show today!

Indydebi..are you on spring break??????????????

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 8:35pm
post #154 of 173

I remember mom collecting the stamps but not where she got them or how they were redeemed but it had nothing to do with the post office.

I bet someone else will be able to describe it better

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 8:38pm
post #155 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefbarbie0513

I'm wondering if anyone will explain the stamps to me? Why did you collect them? Did you get something for free if you had a certian amount? Someone mentioned puting them in a book, so was it regular post office stamp collecting. Help!! I'm 1976 baby.

Oh you poor child! icon_lol.gif

It was the "back then" version of frequent flyer miles. They were not post office stamps. Just "stamps", like the ones in the Publishers Clearing House mailing. For example, you got one stamp for every $5 you spent at the grocery, so spent $50 and get 10 stamps. There were these special books you saved the stamps in, and then there were special stores you redeemed the stamps. I remember my mom got a lamp for something like 4 books of stamps. You could get luggage, TV's, dishes, all kinds of "free" stuff.

And I had forgotten about the glasses that came in the laundry soap boxes! I think that's how we collected most of our glassware! I remember the moms saying that the soap was terrible (wouldn't clean the clothes very well!) but they bought it anyway just for the glass! icon_lol.gif

davespeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
davespeg Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 8:43pm
post #156 of 173
Quote:

davespeg

that is so darned funny.............. if the waving hand had lots of rings, you'd know who it was

icon_lol.gif

nannie
You have a point there icon_lol.gif I'ld ask her if the hand had rings, but he's 89 and would say who??? icon_confused.gif I'll always be grateful to her for shlepping us crazy teenagers to Hollywood.
Sixteen years ago I took my daughter to a Rolling Stones concert hoping to get that same feeling from her......not. She referred to them as those old men icon_surprised.gif

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 9:03pm
post #157 of 173

well Ringo will be 70 this year icon_eek.gif

indydebi Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 9:06pm
post #158 of 173
Quote:

well Ringo will be 70 this year icon_eek.gif

Oh that is sad! icon_cry.gif

globalgatherings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
globalgatherings Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 9:19pm
post #159 of 173

In June of 1977 I went to one of the last Elvis Presley concerts. I was just graduating from high school. I had expected to see and hear the Elvis from all the movies and tv performances. It was not the same man. He had gained a lot of weight and couldn't remember the words to the songs. He was sweating profusely and was really out of it. It was very sad. He died that August icon_cry.gif

joy5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy5678 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 10:10pm
post #160 of 173

When you grocery shopped you received Green Stamps" based on the amount of your grocery receipt. There was a savings book with so many pages and when you filled it up with stamps you could take it to the "Stamp Store" to redeem them for different kinds of items from drinking glasses to lamps or most any household item. Kinda like getting tickets at Chucky Cheese to redeem for prizes. It was fun. I remember getting stamps from gas stations also, after they cleaned the car windows and checked the oil!

chefbarbie0513 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefbarbie0513 Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 1:55pm
post #161 of 173

Wow the stamp thing sounds fun!! Ok indydebi, the glass in the laundry soap is tooo funny!! I cant even imagine pulling the glass out like it was a prize from a cracker jack box. That is too funny!!

Kitagrl Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 1:57pm
post #162 of 173

Speaking of cracker jack, I remember the prize in there actually being a tiny little toy or something! Not just a tattoo or sticker...

joy5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy5678 Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 3:39pm
post #163 of 173

Quaker Oats used to have plastic glasses in their boxes too.

globalgatherings Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 4:18pm
post #164 of 173

OOO, remember the Mary Tyler Moore show with Dick Van Dyke( don't know if that was the name of it), but Rob and Laura Petri slept in separate beds. That doesn't happen today on tv, hell,now their practically having sex on primetime icon_lol.gif

indydebi Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 6:42pm
post #165 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by joy5678

Quaker Oats used to have plastic glasses in their boxes too.

as a collector of depression glass, that's why some of these glass designs are referred to as "oatmeal glass".

Edited to add: I'm referring to the real glass glasses back during the depression. Obviously way before even MY time! icon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 6:45pm
post #166 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalgatherings

OOO, remember the Mary Tyler Moore show with Dick Van Dyke( don't know if that was the name of it), but Rob and Laura Petri slept in separate beds. That doesn't happen today on tv, hell,now their practically having sex on primetime icon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif It was called "The Dick Van Dyke" show and Mary Tyler Moore was just an add'l character! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Even Fred and Wilma Flintstone had separate beds!

Ozzie and Harriet were the first couple to sleep in the same bed on TV. In an interview, Harriet said, "We thought ALL married couples slept in the same bed!"

nanikins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanikins Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 10:55pm
post #167 of 173

Not as old as some of the other shows mentioned, but I dearly miss The Carol Burnett Show. When the actors/comedians would crack each other up...I never laughed so hard in my life!!

indydebi Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 11:11pm
post #168 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanikins

Not as old as some of the other shows mentioned, but I dearly miss The Carol Burnett Show. When the actors/comedians would crack each other up...I never laughed so hard in my life!!

Ahhhh....the last icon of TRUE comedy! I LIVED for the moments when Tim and Harvey would be in a skit together! The contest wasn't *IF* Tim could make Harvey lose it, but WHEN Tim would make Harvey lose it! icon_lol.gif

globalgatherings Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 11:12pm
post #169 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanikins

Ahhhh....the last icon of TRUE comedy! I LIVED for the moments when Tim and Harvey would be in a skit together! The contest wasn't *IF* Tim could make Harvey lose it, but WHEN Tim would make Harvey lose it! icon_lol.gif

O yea, they were great thumbs_up.gif

nanikins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanikins Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 11:55pm
post #170 of 173

Yep! I laughed harder at them laughing than at any skit they ever did. Every time they came on stage together, there was that sense of anticipation...when's Harvey gonna start laughing! They were a great comedic team. And Carol Burnett was a facial contortionist - some of the looks she'd come up with.

I'm not a huge reality TV buff (although I do watch the cake shows), but I really miss those old variety shows like HeeHaw, Carol Burnett Show, Sonny & Cher, etc. (big sighs)

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 12:00am
post #171 of 173

I miss topo gigo! and Mr. Ed. and Senior Wences and Rin-Tin-Tin and Davie & Goliath....

and remember the Went with the Wind skit when Carol Burnett wore the green drapes with the curtain rod still in them?

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 1:30am
post #172 of 173

Oh, h r puffin stuff, I loved that show. Sat. morning cartoons are not the same anymore. And playing outside til your parents stood on the porch and holered for you to come in. And I always stayed up to watch carol burnett.
I'm getting up early tomorow to buy tickets to a Carol King, James Taylor concert and I'm soooo excited.

Kitagrl Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 1:33am
post #173 of 173

I know my kids won't stay outside half as long as I used to...but then I guess I had more freedom!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%