Urgent! How About This Combination?...

Baking By sweetlayers Updated 18 Mar 2010 , 4:52pm by TexasSugar

sweetlayers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlayers Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 4:29am
post #1 of 9

OK, I have green tinted Armaretto/Almond cake with green tinted buttercream frosting.

Which filling would go best?
1. Baily's Irish Cream or
2. Armaretto Cream

I'm a newbie when it comes to cooking with the liquor! icon_redface.gif

8 replies
TitiaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TitiaM Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 4:42am
post #2 of 9

I would go with the amaretto, probably.

jlh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlh Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 4:43am
post #3 of 9

I've tried the bailey's flavored icing, but I just can't seem to get it to keep it's flavor. Tastes great out of the bowl, but 10 hours later, you can hardly taste the flavor. I have only used the actual Baileys liquor. I just recently ordered some irish cream flavoring from local cake supply. Haven't tried the flavoring it yet. Good luck.

sweetlayers Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 4:57am
post #4 of 9

Do you think some sort of coffee, mocha, or cappachino (sp) flavoring would taste OK?

sweetlayers Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 4:58am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh

I've tried the bailey's flavored icing, but I just can't seem to get it to keep it's flavor. Tastes great out of the bowl, but 10 hours later, you can hardly taste the flavor. I have only used the actual Baileys liquor. I just recently ordered some irish cream flavoring from local cake supply. Haven't tried the flavoring it yet. Good luck.

Yeah, I bought the Baily's too, but am not sure how it will taste.

sweetlayers Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 5:04am
post #6 of 9

Also, when you make a cake with liquor are you supposed to get the tingly drunk feeling when you taste it? I thought the alcohol was supposed to cook out.

jlh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlh Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 5:32am
post #7 of 9

I've only used a few teaspoons to flavor the butterceam, so there is no way anyone could get tingly from it. Probably works out to be a few drops per person. I've also tried kahula in a chocolate cake. You must be right about baking out. No one in the room knew it was Kahlua flavored..the chocolate just overpowered. The ameretto cake and ameretto buttercream might be nice. Hopefully after all the ameretto, something will linger, and you'll detect the flavors. Maybe something else would compete with your cake?? Don't know. I highly doubt ANYONE will be complaining no matter what you go with.

TitiaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TitiaM Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 2:41pm
post #8 of 9

amaretto and almond are pretty strong flavors--usually no doubt they are there.

If you want a different flavor--butterscotch maybe, would be good.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 4:52pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetlayers

Also, when you make a cake with liquor are you supposed to get the tingly drunk feeling when you taste it? I thought the alcohol was supposed to cook out.

No you shouldn't have any effects from the alcohol. What is in the cake will mostly bake out and the amount that goes in it, and is divided up in servings doesn't amount to enough to get anyone tipsy or drunk. I don't even think eating the whole cake would do that.

I made some chocolate cupcakes spiked with Kalua Tuesday night. I iced them in Buttercream where I replaced the liquid with Baileys. I used about 3/4ths cup of Baileys in the icing (using two pounds of powder sugar). I also added a little Irish Cream candy oil to up the flavor since I ran out of Baileys. They are sitting on my desk and every time the container gets opened you can smell it! But I am not worried about anyone getting drunk off it. No one that has eaten them have any and of the effects of the alcohol and that is incuding what is in the icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%