Stacking Cakes With Dummies As The Separators..how Do I?

Decorating By shirleart Updated 16 Jul 2011 , 12:35am by MARTIEQZ

shirleart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shirleart Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 2:48pm
post #1 of 7

What I am hoping to do is have a 14" layer of cake, then a dummy cake that would be 10" that a 12" layer would sit upon that. The void created by the dummy cake, would be filled with sugar paste flowers (around the dummy cake, I could stick the stems of the flowers into the dummy cake ). I then would have in essence a layer of cake, a "layer" of flowers, a layer of cake, a "layer"
of flowers with each layer getting smaller. I have not worked with these styrofoam dummies before and was wondering if there were any "rules" in how you stack a cake with them. Would they be able to support subsquent layers of cake? I realize that I would, of course, dowel the cake layers for support but should I have a larger dowel that would go thought the entire cake as well, (Cake and dummies)? Or, do you think that I would be better off using cake plates with separators and having the dummies attached to the separator plates to be able to apply the flowers. The bride and groom do not want to see "through" the flower layers. I am attaching a photo of a cake which is the basic inspiration, not quite the cake in colors or design but just so you get an idea. Thanks for any suggestions that anyone may have.

6 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 8:12pm
post #2 of 7

You'd have a hard time getting a central dowel to go through the styro of the dummies. Just dowel the actual cake tiers and put the dummies on, they can support plenty of weight on their own.

I'd only partially assemble the cake (bottom tier w/ dummy tier on top, then next cake tier w/ dummy on top, so basically in sections of 2) for transport and finish the assembly on site. To make sure the top of the dummy sticks to the board of the cake above it, put a good size dollop of icing on top of the dummy just before placing the cake on it. This will "glue" them together.

HTH!

PS - your pic didn't attach

shirleart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shirleart Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 12:23am
post #3 of 7

Thanks! I was hoping that I didn't have to do the "big" dowel....

I will be transporting each layer individually and stacking them at the venue. That way I'll have 5 single decorated cakes to tranport which will certaining be less stressful!!

Thanks Again
Shirley

thecakeprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakeprincess Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 9:33pm
post #4 of 7

thanks I was wondering about that too.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 10:38pm
post #5 of 7

Don't forget to put each dummy on its own corrugated cake circle to prevent the support dowels below from piercing into the styrofoam... (bottom tier, cake circle, dummy).

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 11:02pm
post #6 of 7

I did this for the yellow rose wedding cake I made for a friend and I learned a lot of the no-no's so I hope you don't mind if I share my experiences. Here is a pic of the cake.
http://www.keeponcaking.com/2010/09/pleated-fondant-tutorial/

I used SPS instead of dowels so no center dowel was needed which was great. My biggest mistake is that my dummies were too small both for stability and for flower presentation. I would go with no more than a 2 inch difference so a 10 inch under a 12 inch is fine but I wouldn't go any smaller. I had too much space between the edge of the next tier and the dummy and the toothpics I used to attach the flowers showed...no one cared but I think it looks tackyicon_smile.gif

Also with the flowers, I don't know if you are doing a single row of flowers or multiple rows but gauge your flower size carefully...too small and they drawf and too big and they don't fit between the space just right. It is a lot harder to push a flower into styro than it sounds. If I did this again I would use choc or royal and attach them directly to the dummy. I covered my dummies in matching fondant which did help the look since I did have too much space.

I also had never really done much with flowers before and both my sides and topper could have really benefited from filler flowers. And make extra flowers...once those are made...make more. I used every single flower I made...even then broken ones icon_smile.gif I love the look and can't wait for an opportunity to improve on my first attempt.

MARTIEQZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MARTIEQZ Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 12:35am
post #7 of 7

How did you use the sps? Can you elaborate please?
I am doing 10, 8 and 6 inch cakes, so 8 styro and 4 styro.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%