And, welcome to CC, cab333! icon_razz.gif

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 1:07am
post #62 of 186

Oh I like the cup idea!!

Mrs262 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs262 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 1:08am
post #63 of 186

Oh wow!! Awesome pics and advice! I can't wait to try this!!

Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 1:13am
post #64 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab333

Would royal icing work in place of buttercream? Buttercream and I don't get along very well.....LOL!

Btw, yay! My first post...I have been addicted to reading these boards all weekend, I don't know how I could not have stumbled across this before now! icon_smile.gif

I don't think I'd use royal, it gets hard as a rock, I'd be afraid of chipped teeth! You could make fondant cutout circles to cover your cupcake tops, if whomever you're making them for likes fondant.

Heres a link to some cute cuppies with fondant tops, from flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cakeheavenly/4181568454/

I think I posted this link earlier but just in case, check it out. Its on how to cover cupcakes in poured fondant. You might like this idea better.

http://www.cakejournal.com/archives/how-to-cover-cupcakes-with-poured-fondant

Welcome to CC by the way! You'll love it here!!

kelleyskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleyskreations Posted 9 Aug 2010 , 9:36pm
post #65 of 186

Thanks so much for all the great advice on this thread!! I just love CC, I learn so much. I made one of these today and love the way it turned out icon_smile.gif
LL

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 11:15am
post #66 of 186

I love these, and was planning to try them for the first time in September. I'm supposed to make cupcakes for my church group's gathering, so I thought I'd do these as table centerpieces with the cupcakes decorated like mums.

But, here's my question: How would the women get them out of the little cups without getting frosting all over their hands? I don't want it to be so messy that they end up mad at me!

kelleyskreations Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 11:44am
post #67 of 186

You can see in my picture above that the cupcakes actually sit up a bit. I didn't frost mine all the way to the edge so they were very easy to remove. You can see more cupcake this way but that did not bother me icon_smile.gif

humminbird712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
humminbird712 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 12:00pm
post #68 of 186

I did mine to the edges and I didn't find it to be a problem. I removed two of mine to re-do them because I wasn't happy with them and they removed without a problem. I would go on what look you like better.

JGMB Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 12:05pm
post #69 of 186

Thanks for the quick answers! I'm relieved to hear it'll work, so now I can start buying one flower pot a week from now till then with my 40% off Michael's coupons. icon_wink.gif

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 12:43pm
post #70 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

yep, no styrofoam.......only plastic cups. I get a sleeve of 250 for under $3!! Can't beat that price! The 6" styrofoam balls are $6.00 at wal-mart here!!!

Ok, I'm a detail freak, so let me get this--you staple your cups together (which I have over 2000 of!!) and set them into your pot/bucket/container..how do you secure the cup frame in the container.. hot glue?? Do you have something under the cup frame to support the weight of the cc's?

This is opening up all kinds of ideas for funky containers I could only dream of using!!

I quit offering bouquets because of the price of the styrofoam balls--and I just donated 24+ new clay pots to the local 4H to get them out of my way!

This idea is brilliant! I never had problems with them falling off before, I used 3 toothpics to secure each cc and always had them facing "up". But--wow this opens up worlds of possiblities!

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 1:08pm
post #71 of 186

I was watching one of the DC cupcake episodes and they seem to have baked a cake in the clay pot and then just skewered the cupcakes on to that. I say seemed because the camera just flashed across the pot before they started adding cupcakes. They also used fondant leaves to fill in between (really like this idea). Is there any way this would be an advantage? I can't see how it could be solid enough to hold them in place.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 1:16pm
post #72 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynee

I was watching one of the DC cupcake episodes and they seem to have baked a cake in the clay pot and then just skewered the cupcakes on to that. I say seemed because the camera just flashed across the pot before they started adding cupcakes. They also used fondant leaves to fill in between (really like this idea). Is there any way this would be an advantage? I can't see how it could be solid enough to hold them in place.

I can't imagine cake being secure enough either--maybe a dense brownie--but cake, I can't see it. The fondant leaves really sound like a great idea.

kelleyskreations Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 1:22pm
post #73 of 186

When I made mine I actually didn't use anything to secure it to the pot. The weight of the cupcakes held it in place. Now that was the only 1 I made and I delivered it to a friend. I am not sure I would trust that if I was making a bunch for a customer. HTH

humminbird712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
humminbird712 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 1:47pm
post #74 of 186

DC cupcakes used a foam ball. I think they coated it with buttercream and crushed up oreos to make it look like dirt.

I hot glue my cups to the pot because I'm paranoid that it would shift or something while driving.

amarilloyankee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amarilloyankee Posted 14 Aug 2010 , 8:41pm
post #75 of 186

This post helped me so much (thanks OP for posting your disaster so that KHalstead posted her tutorial!) THANK YOU Khalstead for your wonderful tutorial! I made some this week for my sister in law having my new nephew and for a friend! They turned out Great!!

erin12345 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erin12345 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 9:02pm
post #76 of 186

Thrilled to have read all of this great advice and anxious to try making a cc bouquet. One question...some of the photos look like the "leaves" are tissue paper. If so, how do you keep it from getting greasy? Thanks!

ImyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ImyCakes Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 10:00pm
post #77 of 186

Have you've ever since DC Georgetown Cupcakes on TV well they did something similar to what you did and they started off with pouring chocolate ganache over foam ball then let it dry place in pot, and add mini cupcakes to top with toothpicks or maybe use sharped end wooden dowels. that I hope helps you. icon_smile.gif

LateBloomer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LateBloomer Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 4:11pm
post #78 of 186

Thanks Khalstead and everybody for all the lovely ideas. Can't wait to try them.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 4:32pm
post #79 of 186

KHalstead thanks for posting those pictures. That really helps.

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 2:29am
post #80 of 186

this is a great thread.....

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 5:41am
post #81 of 186

I've only made two bouquets, both with full size cupcakes. I got my pots at the 99 cent store and used a plastic wrapped cabbage instead of the expensive styrofoam balls. I got the pot, walked over to the cabbages, poked the cabbage in the pot, and if it fit, I bought them both.

The cabbage provides the weight in the pot, and only half sticks out above the pot's top edge. The toothpicks stay really well in the cabbage. I wrapped the cabbage as-is in green tissue paper & jammed it down into the pot. I used two toothpicks for each cupcake and cut little triangles of green tissue paper and poked between each cupcake.

I did have some of the wrappers start to detach from the cakes, but I just pushed in more green tissue paper. I didn't know how to use the 1M tip then (newbie), so next time I'll frost the cupcakes AFTER I poke them onto the toothpicks. You still have to be careful because it is top-heavy.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 11:28am
post #82 of 186

Apti, a real cabbage?

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 2:40pm
post #83 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

Apti, a real cabbage?

Yup.

jade8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jade8 Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 3:18pm
post #84 of 186

i made a mini cupcake bouquet (will get a pic up soon) and i managed to get 50 on there. i took all the great ideas that everyone suggested and it turned out not bad for my first time but the very bottom row cupcakes had a hard time staying in. i used toothpicks to hold them in but would there be something else i could do to secure them in better? i would like to be able to transport it without having a heart attack seeing them fall out. i used 1 ounce cups.

scp1127 Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 4:57pm
post #85 of 186

I have never made a cupcake bouquet, but from a physics point of view, here's how to keep the cupcakes on. You need to control the arc of the bouquet, or how round it is. Don't make it so round that the bottom row is facing "icing down". On that great tutorial on CC and in other pictures of successful bouquets, notice that the bottom row cupcakes are still "icing up". The ones with the cups stapled are also this way.

JGMB Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 11:14pm
post #86 of 186

I can't thank KHalstead enough for her wonderful instructions and photos. I successfully made 6 dessert centerpieces for a women's luncheon at church tomorrow. I'm thrilled with the way they turned out!!!!!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1818675

scp1127 Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 7:13am
post #87 of 186

JGMB, very nice! What size cup did you use?

JGMB Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 2:08pm
post #88 of 186

Thanks! They're 2 oz. cups.

scp1127 Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 4:30pm
post #89 of 186

Thanks JGMB. As I mentioned, I haven't made one, just studied the pros alot. That happens to be the only size cup I have so I got lucky.

comerate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
comerate Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 5:20pm
post #90 of 186

great pictures

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%