Cake With Slanted Sides Disaster!!!

Decorating By erilay Updated 23 Mar 2010 , 2:32am by mkolmar

erilay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erilay Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 10:12pm
post #1 of 16

I just did a type of mad hatter cake. I cut the sides in at an angle but did not slant the top. I had such a problem. It took almost a whole day to cover it and I was still not happy with the results. It kept ripping and when I put it on thicker it looked like elephant skin... I ended up smushing holes together and making big wrinked clusters all over the cake icon_sad.gif

I had to cover it with diamonds to cover the horrible mess I made of it. I was suppost to do a quilting pattern but there was no way that was going to happen. Does anyone know what I did wrong???? It was so UGLY...

I used a ganache under the fondant. I don't think that is the problem though. I have another one next week and really need some help.

Also I use satin ice and it gets very dry and cracky when I work with it. I don't use corn starch so???(again) This did not help my dilema I am not sure maybe it is just too cold out. icon_redface.gif

15 replies
JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 12:28am
post #2 of 16

KHalstead said that when she is putting fondant on bigger cakes she uses things to hold up the sides of the fondant while she smooths out the top, maybe PM her and ask to explain because I know this probably doesn't make much sense. But maybe the fondant was ripping because of the weight of the drooping sides? I'm not sure about Satin Ice although I've heard it can dry out quickly, I'm sorry this happened though, I know it's frustrating!

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 12:38am
post #3 of 16

I have seen Sharon Zambito use a wad of fondant to smooth fondant I have tried it and it does work.. takes away any marks and smooths wrinkles have you tried adding a little shortning to the fondant..for the dryness.. Im sorry you had a bad cake day... OH did you use simple syurp over the chocolate ganache before putting on the fondant.. I had to go a bit thicker on my fondant when doing the angled sides cake. HTH..

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 12:48am
post #4 of 16

I had the same problem on a topsy-turvy cake I made the other day. I covered the thing six times with Satin Ice and it kept tearing. I finally gave up and made a batch of mmf. Problem solved. Went on perfectly. I think I got a bad batch of Satin Ice. Maybe you did too.

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 1:12am
post #5 of 16

When I use Satin Ice, I always use a little shortening on my rolling mat, and once I have the fondant rolled out, I rub the entire top of the fondant with a little shortening also. Since I started doing that, I haven't had problems with elephant skin on my fondant.

suuz0808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suuz0808 Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 12:13am
post #6 of 16

It's the ganache, try using swiss meringue buttercream next time.
Also, a smoother is needed and don't roll your fondant too thin!

Good luck and have fun!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 12:35am
post #7 of 16

It does take practice, too, to cover a cake that is narrower at the bottom than at the top! You do have to work kind of fast with Satin Ice and it is harder to get the wrinkles out with the tapered sides cake....just follow the ideas here and don't give up!

erilay Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 5:45am
post #8 of 16

Thanks so much for all the tips. I am so grateful for all the replies. I am doing it again next week so fingers crossed. icon_eek.gif

I used crisco ontop of the ganache. I also tried it with water. I was scared to use jam or ss bc if I messed up it might destroy the fondant.

Thick is the way to go I guess???
I think SAtin Ice can be differant from batch to batcg. I thought it was the batch so I odered a new one and same thing. I eventually used Wilton and it worked thank goodness. (but the taste not so good icon_sad.gif )

Does anyone know a good video to order on this or topsey turvey/3D covered cakes? Thanks1

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 6:12am
post #9 of 16

Get Sugarshack's Totally Topsy Turvy dvd. www[dot]sugaredproductions[dot]com

LateBloomer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LateBloomer Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 6:59am
post #10 of 16

I agree with CookieD-oh. Sugarshack is the best!

AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 1:59am
post #11 of 16

I'll third the sugarshack DVD. She takes you through everything-step by step. She also uses ganache under the fondant in the video-so you're not wrong in that. Check it out-it'll be worth it.

erilay Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 7:56pm
post #12 of 16

I have heard that before. It must be a really good video. I have seen lots and lots of videos so I get nervous ordering them. Sometimes I get them and I don't learn anything new. It is so anoying because by the time you pay the restock fee and shipping back you might as well keep it thumbsdown.gif . Do you think she has a few really differant helpful tips in it?

katies_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katies_cakes Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 8:21pm
post #13 of 16

Check out you tube. i remember watching a good video there on how to make a topsy turvey cake, she shows you how to cover it too!
HTH

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 8:40pm
post #14 of 16

Okay, first, thicker fondant is NOT BETTER. Thinner is. Thicker fondant makes for heavier fondant, which causes tearing. Now with that said, I'm not familiar with Satin Ice, but I will say this, not every fondant is for everybody. Some people have great success with Satin Ice, some don't. I use MMF.

Second, I've used IMBC, SMBC, and ganache on topsy turvys. You DO NOT need to put crisco & DO NOT put crisco on the ganache to make the fondant stick. You rubbing the fondat will do that. And the crisco may have been the reason for the tearing, cause crisco helps soften fondant.

erilay Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 1:35am
post #15 of 16

Oh, that makes sence... The crisco on the ganache might make it tear. My gancah is fully set when I apply the fondant. I even put it in the freezer for 10 min. I don't think it will stick by rubbing it. I have been told to use - jelly, water srayed lightly, crisco, or simple syrup. U use nothing and it works on completely crusted ganache? I am just curious bc it would be great to skip that step.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 2:32am
post #16 of 16

It honestly should stick to the ganache when you rub your hands over it or smoother to finish the fondant laying.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%