Omg! Airbrush Overspray Everywhere!!!

Decorating By mygirlssweet Updated 5 Apr 2011 , 5:35pm by mygirlssweet

mygirlssweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mygirlssweet Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 4:19am
post #1 of 19

I was airbrushing for the first time today, and when I was done and was cleaning up, I realized that the whole basement was covered in green (the color I was using). It didn't look like it just to look, but if you wiped you got green. I had to wash the whole basement. Doors, blinds, base boards, EVERYTHING!!! I washed the floor 3 times and I can still get green off of it. Is there anyway I can use my airbrush indoors without this happening? Obviously, I can't wipe everything down everytime I want to airbrush. HELP!!!

18 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 4:24am
post #3 of 19

I made a booth with an old cardboard box. Just wait until you blow your nose!

mygirlssweet Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 4:28am
post #4 of 19

Oh, I did have a three sided box panels in behind.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 4:30am
post #5 of 19

I feel your pain. I once spray painted something in my dining room and it traveled through 3 other rooms, too. There's probably still spots hanging around here.

gramofgwen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gramofgwen Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 4:44am
post #6 of 19

Cover your table or counter with sheet vinyl from Walmart and also get a tri-fold science project cardboard from Walmart. That's what works for me.

leeann76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leeann76 Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 1:28pm
post #7 of 19

SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME! I have only used mine once. I was airbrushing my daughter's cake, HOT PINK AND ORANGE...I had no idea it went everywhere until I started wiping stuff off and EVERYTHING was pink and orange. Countertops, walls, floors, chairs, cabinets. It wasn't until after everyone had tracked it thru the house did I realize it. When I took a bath, the water turned orange! So now I can't use my airbrush icon_sad.gif

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 1:40pm
post #8 of 19

Cakesafe makes an airbrushing station with a fan to suck the airbrush colors up.

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 1:44pm
post #9 of 19

I've seen some people airbrush near a window with a box fan in it sucking the air out. That way the overspray is drawn outside. It's less expensive than the airbrush booth by Cake Safe. Although... I see one at some point in my future.

I airbrush often and the over spray really is insane.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 5:47pm
post #10 of 19

You might try lowering your pressure. High pressure will create some serious overspray.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 6:08pm
post #11 of 19

I've just ordered an airbrush and can't wait to get into using it, but this sounds quite dismaying! Funny, in the instructional videos I've seen it doesn't look like the spray is going everywhere. Do you suppose they know something we don't?

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 6:11pm
post #12 of 19

I'm converting an old tin shower stall. I'm going to paint & sealcoat the inside, put a plastic liner on the top of it and then a clear vinyl liner over the door with slits in it for my arms. Not 100% sure it will work but it won't cost much to try as I already have the stall.

leeann76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leeann76 Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 6:35pm
post #13 of 19

Marianna, when you use it, it doesn't look like it is going everywhere. You won't realize it until you go to wipe things down with a wet washcloth. That's when you realize it has went everywhere!!!

Cookingkimber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookingkimber Posted 4 Apr 2011 , 6:36pm
post #14 of 19

I feel everyones pain here. I did the same thing a few weeks ago. I was using my airbrush for the first time and thought I was well prepared until I went to go deliver the cake and had green in my nose and I think I am still finding green when I wipe everthing down. I am affraid to airbrush again until I can get an enclosure.

mygirlssweet Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 2:18am
post #15 of 19

I had my dad make a folding enclosure with a bathroom fan built into the back and a plexiglass top. I put my cake inside, turn on the fan (with some paper towel inside and on the out spout) and airbrush. Works wonderful and I NEVER have overspray anymore.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 3:16am
post #16 of 19

Nothing works as well as the airbrush booth from cakesafe.com - I have tried them. The fan in that booth is soo much more powerful than any "bathroom" exhaust fan. I get NO overspray, ANYWHERE now. It is without a doubt one of the best tools you can buy if you are going to do airbrushing. Bar none. It is worth every penny.

afunk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
afunk Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 3:43am
post #17 of 19

Oh yes! I've experienced an overspray disaster myself! I thought I was sooo brilliant to spray red in my 3 sided box with clear vinyl on top, in a stall shower in a bathroom that we don't use. I thought "well if there's overspray I can just turn on the water and wash it away." Uh, no. It still got everywhere, I had to clean the bathroom and then myself. I did blow my nose at one point and thought it was bloody for a second. Later I noticed the red had worked it's way into the medicine cabinet and into the closed toilet!! Crazy!
My family decided I need a hazmat suit and a quarantine room with a drain. icon_lol.gif

In retrospect it was totally worth it, the cake looked fantastic. (the red loop de loop in my photos)

mygirlssweet Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 5:32pm
post #18 of 19

My booth is very similar to cakesafe and let me tell you it didn't even cost a fraction of what they are charging. I love mine and my overspray is history.

mygirlssweet Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 5:35pm
post #19 of 19

My booth is very similar to cakesafe and let me tell you it didn't even cost a fraction of what they are charging. I love mine and my overspray is history.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%