Royal Icing To Cover A Cake?

Decorating By 2txmedics Updated 9 Mar 2010 , 5:45pm by TexasSugar

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 6:49am
post #1 of 9

Ok, Tonight Im working on my daugs. 16th Birthday cake, she wanted Spiderman, Superman and Batman...lol Crazy girl...she wanted me to just make her a cake, here at home no party, nothing....We've already celebrated. So Im working with RI....As I research, I read about "Covering a Cake in RI???"

Does anyone know how to do this, and the main questions:
1. Why would you cover in RI?
2. How thick or thin does it go on?
3. So does it get hard to cut or eat the cake?
4. Once covered in RI, can you decorate the reg. way? the RI wont break down?
5. Can it be Airbrushed, for example you need Clouds? And can you pipe and decorate RI directly onto a cake?

IM SORRY BUT IM LOST HERE, FIRST TIME IVE READ OR HEARD OF THIS IN THE 3YRS IVE PLAYED WITH CAKES....LOL

8 replies
Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 7:04am
post #2 of 9

RI is normally used to cover fruit cakes. It needs to go on in several layers over several days. Also you need a very firm and smooth base otherwise the RI will crack. Thats why its done on fruit cakes that covered with marzipan.
Is there a specific reason why you want to do RI? Why not fondant?

2txmedics Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 7:13am
post #3 of 9

No, I was just researching and reading up on cakes...sponpging up all I can...and I came across this...was surprised never heard it before.

I work with BC ONLY....Fondant and I do not get along and we fight. yesterday I spent 2hrs trying to make roses out of fondant and a tiara, to find out I didnt add tylose to get the tiara hard and roses, so I have soft designs....all that time wasted...lol. Im just not a fan of fondant...it looks beautiful...but I'd like to do as much as I can with BC and see how far I can take it.
But Im working with RI because I needed images of spiderman, superman, batman for a cake.....I also need to come up with a elegant design for a 15th...would like to do something with RI...like this...

http://designamour.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/Art-of-Cake-Detail.jpg
is this stenciling done with RI?? Do you know?
and Id really like something like this also...but dont know how to do it, I have never before:
http://i1.bigdaysmallworld.com/dynamic/photos-category/weddingcakephoto-section-530/sales14/3_tier_wedding_cake_with_royal_icing_curls_sugar_sculpture_curlicues_and_pearls.jpghave

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 7:18am
post #4 of 9

2txmedics

You need to try gumpaste for your flowers and tiaras.....it will firm up fast for you

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 7:22am
post #5 of 9

It looks like RI stencilling on the 1st cake, but that is done on fondant. The second cake also looks like fondant with RI piping and scrolls. RI is fine to do embelishments with, but I think its a lot more difficult to cover a cake with than fondant. AFAIK you cant just cover a cake with RI , you need to give it a proper base. This will mean that you still need to cover it with sometning, and BC is not going to work. If I was you I would start practising with fondant.
I dont think you will get the same look with RI
But good luck with whatever you try icon_smile.gif

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 12:47pm
post #6 of 9

I agree with cakechick, covering a cake with RI is going to be a lot of work over a course of ten or fourteen days, You will need a base of marzipan to satrt off as this will stop the 1st coat of RI soaking into the cake and give you a smooth base to start with. You then have to leave the marzipan to dry for 7 days before putting the 1st coat of RI on.That then has to dry for 24 hours before putting the next layer on, and then again for the next layer or two before you have a nice smooth coating to decorate. A lot of work and with most cakes other than fruit/spice cake it would of started to dry out by the time you have finished.

You can make the decorations using RI and use them on Fondant (not sure about on buttercream).

If I was you I would practise with fondant.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 12:53pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2txmedics

1. Why would you cover in RI?

that was my question from the git-go. icon_confused.gif

(and it took me a couple of re-reads to figure out what a "daug" was. I thought at first it was odd that you were making a Spiderman cake for your pet dog.) icon_lol.gif

2txmedics Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 5:41pm
post #8 of 9

Lol, no not for my dog, for my Daughters 16th bday cakes...how funny....Ok, well Im woring and have been since yesterday on trying to dry my RI pieces!!!!

They are not drying, I just read to put them in the Oven???...if so how long and what temps?? My Superman didnt dry so I just traced out the design with a blade and put it on the cake with the wax paper backing, how horrible, but her bday is today...HELP!!!!!

I still need batman and siderman....how can I dry them????

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 9 Mar 2010 , 5:45pm
post #9 of 9

You can put them in the oven with just the light on or under a desk lamp. Depending on how big they are it may take a while to dry. I've had pieces dry over night in the oven.

Really when you work with royal icing transfers you want to start them several days ahead of time because they do need drying time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%