Clear Cut Isomalt In First Impression Molds

Decorating By dchockeyguy Updated 4 Mar 2010 , 5:24pm by Kiddiekakes

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 6:21pm
post #1 of 7

Dominic,

I was making some Isomalt up the other day, coloring it, and pouring it into molds. I used two different kinds of molds: First the clear plastic moulds that CK makes and second some FI molds. The ojbects that come out of the FI molds appear cloudy, which the CK ones appear clear. Why would that be?

6 replies
MYOM-Dominic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MYOM-Dominic Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 1:49pm
post #2 of 7

That's a great question, dchockeyguy.

Let me explain some principles behind silicone mold making that may shed some light on this. Silicone not only duplicates the shape and detail of an object - it also duplicates the finish of an object. If the object used to make a mold has a matte finish, the mold cavity will have the same matte finish. When you pour isomalt into the mold, its natural state is to come out shiny but if it is poured against a non glossy surface, it will take on that finish instead. You can test this by pouring just a little isomalt on a silpat mat and allow it to cool. The top surface will be very shiny because it is only in contact with air and its natural shine will not be disturbed. Now take the cooled piece off the silpat mat and inspect the bottom where it was in contact with the mat. You will probably find that it is less shiny and mirrors the finish of the silpat mat. First Impressions makes really good molds that can be used for all kinds of mediums and works great for fondant, gum paste etc. They determine the finish when they design their molds. Take a look at the CK plastic mold and you will find that the cavities have a very high sheen to them. This is possible because the plastic is naturally shiny and they are made by vacuum forming which maintains the shine through the manufacturing process. Try painting with a brush, a very thin coating of mineral oil in your silicone mold which can help to increase the shine. Very thin though, too much will give you other problems - only enough to make the cavity glossy.

Hope This Helps,
Dominic icon_smile.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 2:18pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks for the detailed explanation Dominic....So are the clear plastic candy molds going to give the gems a shinier look? I was thinking of making some.

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 3:09pm
post #4 of 7

Dominic, that's really helpful, thanks! I don't know a ton about Isomalt, but I"m actually taking the class on it at the convention this summer. Guess I'll see you there!

Trevor

Auntie_RaRa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auntie_RaRa Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 3:26pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you, thank you for this explanation. I did some test gems with various molds and noticed these differences as well. I even posted how it appears the "backs" of these look clearer (more shiny) compared to the other side. Glad I wasn't going crazy...LOL

MYOM-Dominic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MYOM-Dominic Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 4:04pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Thanks for the detailed explanation Dominic....So are the clear plastic candy molds going to give the gems a shinier look? I was thinking of making some.

Kiddiekakes - Clear plastic molds are usually not appropriate for Isomalt or cooked sugar. They are designed to be used with chocolate and lower temp. materials. Plastic molds that are to be used with Isomalt and cooked sugar are usually white in color and are described as high temp. plastic.

Dominic icon_smile.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 5:24pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks Domenic..That is good to know..I will use the proper molds only.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%