Cricut Or Some Other Machine??

Decorating By CWIL Updated 2 Mar 2010 , 12:58am by deefour

CWIL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWIL Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 2:36pm
post #1 of 33

Can you guys tell me if everyone who uses a diecut machine just uses the Cricut? I'm ready to buy, but trying to make the best decision. Are there other diecut machines that people have used with gumpaste? Thanks!

32 replies
BlackFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlackFlour Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 2:38pm
post #2 of 33

I just posted almost the exact same question! I'd love to know as well! icon_smile.gif

CWIL Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 5:26pm
post #3 of 33

Anyone? Please, pretty please???

josumiko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josumiko Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 8:28pm
post #4 of 33

I don't know about the answer to your question, but I just wanted to let you know that they are coming out with a cricut cake!!!! I am going to wait until this comes out and see if there is much difference...you can go to the cricut site to see it.

CWIL Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 8:53pm
post #5 of 33

I've heard about the Cricut cake, but it's too rich for my blood! I've seen some other people talking about it and they said that it won't do anything different than the others, so my feeling is - why pay the extra $$? Thanks for the info though!

kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 11:29pm
post #6 of 33

I have a silhouette SD though I haven't had a chance to play with it yet. I hope to get at it this week!

deefour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deefour Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 6:07am
post #7 of 33

I came to this site looking for the same info. I found a machine called "Pazzle". I came here to see if anyone was using a Pazzle or both.
Pazzle requires a computer connection and does not require any cartridges. That's all the infor I gathered on my own. Is there anyone who can shed a little more light?

feliciangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
feliciangel Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 7:03am
post #8 of 33

i just got the silhouette quickkutz, and was coming to ask if anyone has tried with gumpaste and or fondant. i just got mine on ebay and basically i can use any font on my computer. Ive only cut vinyl so far and I was like a like kid (lol i labeled all my kids drawers with there names) was tempted to do some easter decals...but any info would be great

CWIL Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 9:21am
post #9 of 33

This is exactly what I wanted to know. Deefour, that's one reason that I was really interested in the Pazzle because you don't need to purchase cartridges. However, through another thread on CC about the Cricut I found out about some software that you can purchase that allows you to do this with the Cricut - it's called Sure Cuts A Lot. Feliciangel, let me know when you get up the nerve to try gumpaste in your quickutz!

CWIL Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 2:12pm
post #10 of 33

Thanks Linda! I did go to your website and intend on purchasing your DVD. My impression was that this only applied to the Cricut, so it's great to know that your techniques apply to all!

One question for you Linda, do you have experience with Sure Cuts a Lot or Making the Cut (I think that's the correct name) software and if so, do you have an opinion on those?

ktmarieb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ktmarieb Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 2:38pm
post #11 of 33

I didn't know they made one that can hook up to computer. I love the idea because I don't like having to buy extra cartriges!

sandi817 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandi817 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 9:15pm
post #12 of 33

Ok, let me understand this... you all are cutting gumpaste with your diecutting machines?? this doesn't make a mess on the blade/machine? how thick do you roll out the gumpaste out? what tricks do you use to make this work???? So many ideas are running through my head for this concept!

CWIL Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 9:37pm
post #13 of 33

Yes, Sandi817, that's what lots of people do. I don't have a machine as of yet, but like you, I am very, very excited to give this a try and have many, many ideas running through my head as well!! I'd also like to know how people handle the cleanup and what their particulars are.

sandi817 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandi817 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 11:07pm
post #14 of 33

what about using the machine(s) to cut out custom stencils, anyone have luck doing that? The stencils from designerstencils.com are to costly for my 'hobbie'

keystone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keystone Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 11:07pm
post #15 of 33

I am glad to know that you can use Linda's DVD for the silhouette. I got one but haven't known how to go about it. I will order her dvd then.

deefour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deefour Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 1:04pm
post #16 of 33

Linda -Thank-You for the information. I'm glad to know that it applies to all the machines.

Cwil- I could not find any demo's of people using Pazzeles with gumpaste,etc. But I saw a demo on hsn. It can cut real rubber for rubber stamps. However, it was over $500! Have you seen it cheaper? I think I'm done with research and I've got to make a decision on which one to purchase.

TobiasWilhelm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TobiasWilhelm Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 1:26pm
post #17 of 33

We are in the process of testing the Cricut Cake in production - see Jennifer's blog at www.cuttingedgecakeart.com for details - we just posted a side by side comparison of the Expression vs. the Cricut Cake.

HTH

Tobias

feliciangel Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 10:37pm
post #18 of 33

Ok so I tried to use my quickutz with gumpaste and then a satin ice tylose mix today, and i gave up....lolz. I just ordered Linda's DVD. Linda I ordered the "Creative Designs" dvd is that the right one?

DessertDreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DessertDreams Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 11:08pm
post #19 of 33

Just got my Creative Design in the mail last week. I watched both CD's, VERY helpful. Linda makes it look very easy! I have the Cricut expression but I need to get the deep cut blade and housing. Hopefully I can test this week.
One question for Linda, do you use the same GP reciepe that Jennifer and Tobias use?

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 11:30pm
post #20 of 33

what's Linda McClure's website address?

Taleesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Taleesa Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 12:03am
post #21 of 33

WOW just came upon this thread. I will have to check this out. I have the origional cricut system---will this one work or do I need the updated one? Any info will help!! THanks

JillysCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JillysCakery Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 12:27am
post #22 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWIL

I've heard about the Cricut cake, but it's too rich for my blood! I've seen some other people talking about it and they said that it won't do anything different than the others, so my feeling is - why pay the extra $$? Thanks for the info though!

Probably because the cake cricut will be food safe. icon_biggrin.gif

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 12:50am
post #23 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by millermom

what's Linda McClure's website address?

I too would like to know.

TobiasWilhelm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TobiasWilhelm Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 2:26am
post #24 of 33

Actually as far as MSRP is concerned, the Expression is only $50 cheaper than the Cricut Cake - if you buy the deep cut blade for $30, it brings the difference to like $20. A small price to pay for food safety - for us the remaining question is if it works better or not.

There are companies selling the Expression cheaper than MSRP, why would it be different with the Cricut Cake?

Tobias

Jennzoe333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennzoe333 Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 2:48am
post #25 of 33

Linda, since you are here, I wanted to tell you my sister anxiously ordered the Cricut DVD. it arrived, only for us to discover that the 1st DVD was blank?? There was literally nothing on it. Her husband recently passed away and she hasn't had time to call you about it (obviously) but her name is jamie Clark and she lives in Newton, Alabama.

Thanks!

feliciangel Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 3:19am
post #26 of 33

htt p://w ww.des ere tdesi gns.com remove the spaces

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 4:39am
post #27 of 33

Thanks so much! icon_biggrin.gif

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 5:42am
post #28 of 33

Yes thank you very much.

Jennzoe333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennzoe333 Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 1:22pm
post #29 of 33

Thanks so much Linda! I will let Jamie know.

tannersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tannersmom Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 2:16pm
post #30 of 33

Why aren't all cricut machines "food safe"? Don't they use a exacto knife to cut the gumpaste?

Stephanie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%