New Scam???

Decorating By chelleb1974 Updated 25 Feb 2010 , 3:31am by Melvira

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 3:55am
post #1 of 18

Hi all. I've read many times on here about some of the email scams that people have gotten.

This is the first time I've gotten what I think is one. Except, there's no misspelling or bad grammar. Doesn't matter, they're in Ontario and I'm near Boston, plus I'm not licensed so I don't sell cakes.

Attached to the email was a picture of the Sesame Street 1st Birthday Party napkin. Here's the e-mail I received tonight:

Hi There,

I'm Dominic Evangelista's wife and he suggested that I contact you to see if you could make a birthday cake for our son's first birthday? I would like a large cake that would serve about 50 people that has Cookie Monster, Elmo and Big Bird on it. I've attached a picture of his birthday invite so you can get an idea. It of course does not have to be the same, but something like that with the 3 characters on it, perhaps just a large slab cake with them drawn on it?? I would also like to order a small cake with just one character, cookie monster on it so my son can have his own cake to "play in" or make a mess of. I have looked at your website and your cakes look great. If you are able/want to do this please let me know the cost. The cake is needed for Sunday March 7, 2010 please let me know as soon as possible. Thanks so much.

Carolyn Evangelista
Ph#***-***-****

Edited to remove phone number. Didn't even think of that Texas_Rose - thank you!

17 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 4:02am
post #2 of 18

In case the email is not a scam, maybe you should edit your post to take out the phone number.

It's possible she came across your website and didn't realize that you don't sell cakes.

Galler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Galler Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 4:25am
post #3 of 18

you website is great...it looks like you sell cakes...at first until you try and look for pricing and cake flavors icon_wink.gif

I don't think it is a scam. Maybe just email them back and let them know you don't sell cakes but thanks for the compliment.

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 4:27am
post #4 of 18

It honestly doesn't seem like a scam to me, but hey who knows

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 4:53am
post #5 of 18

I thought it was odd that she introduced herself as someone's wife in her first sentence. Did that not seem odd to anyone else? I mean if she were Johnny Depp's wife or something I might understand why she would, but that just seems odd to me icon_confused.gif I'm really not sure about this one myself.

chelleb1974 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 4:56am
post #6 of 18

That's mostly what made it seem like it might be a scam to me. I do make cakes for my cousin's kids, and checked with my cousin to see if they knew this person, but they don't. And a search of the phone number given does return the names given in the email. But it was still odd.

~Chelle

Sweettooth1120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweettooth1120 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 5:34am
post #7 of 18

Maybe there is a bakery or cake place in Ontario with a similiar name and they googled and came up with your site. I dont find it strange that they announced themself as someones wife. If someone at my husbands work decorated cakes and I wanted to contac them (assuming they didnt know me) that is how I would start off the email or contact. There is no way my DH would ever order the cake himself. Not that he even would have to with me decorating, just saying if I didnt then that is how I would start my email.

I dont think its a scam, I think its probably mistaken identity. I would respond with thank you for your request but I do not sell cakes.

chelleb1974 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 5:38am
post #8 of 18

You all might be right........I just searched Chelle's Cakes (my site is chellescakes), and there is one in Ontario!

I'm definitely going to email them and let them know they have the wrong person!

~Chelle

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 5:49am
post #9 of 18

i bet that baker knows the womans husband, and that is why she introduced herself as his wife. Glad you solved the mystery.
im off to look at your website!! icon_biggrin.gif

Kitcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitcake Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 5:54am
post #10 of 18

I just googled Dominic Evangelista in Ontario and it seems he's a Sales Manager for an Information Security company. I wouldn't worry icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 6:08am
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesso

i bet that baker knows the womans husband, and that is why she introduced herself as his wife. Glad you solved the mystery.
im off to look at your website!! icon_biggrin.gif

Didn't consider that she may have thought she was contacting someone that KNEW who her husband was. Yep, makes perfect sense now icon_lol.gif .

Great website btw.

chelleb1974 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 6:11am
post #12 of 18

Thank you. There will be more picks up hopefully by next week.

~Chelle

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 2:37am
post #13 of 18

It's so funny that Mr. Evangelista has no clue that he is the topic of our conversation...LOL

glad you figured it out!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 2:59am
post #14 of 18

Yah, I have to agree that it doesn't sound like a scam at all. I think probably a mistaken identity!! Good thing we can bounce this off each other though just to be safe!! thumbs_up.gif

chelleb1974 Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 3:10am
post #15 of 18

That's why I like CC so much Melvira!

She wrote back to me this morning, and that's exactly what it was - mistaken identity. She was very sorry that she had bothered me, lol. I wrote back and told her it was no problem at all.

~Chelle

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 3:23am
post #16 of 18

chelleb1974 --- I just looked at your website. Great cakes! I remember your cakes from the Great American Cake Show last May. I loved your cake board on your Wedding Cake entry! Your work was extremely neat, clean and precise. Loved it!

chelleb1974 Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 3:27am
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Price

chelleb1974 --- I just looked at your website. Great cakes! I remember your cakes from the Great American Cake Show last May. I loved your cake board on your Wedding Cake entry! Your work was extremely neat, clean and precise. Loved it!

Thank you so much! That piping killed my hand!! If I hadn't first traced the design onto the fondant with a pencil (a soft no2 at that! not even a hard lead, ugh), I think I would have made it into the top 10 wedding cakes! I have vowed to try harder this year than ever on my wedding cake entry. icon_biggrin.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 3:31am
post #18 of 18

I'm really glad to hear that it got sorted out and was not a scam!! It's nice to see that sometimes people aren't trying to 'work you over'! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%