Icing On The Cake Home Parties

Decorating By kkelch75 Updated 15 Mar 2010 , 1:38pm by cakesdivine

EnjoyTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnjoyTheCake Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 10:10pm
post #61 of 65

You would do this for the same reason you would become a represenative for Avon or Pampered Chef. After the party there is the option of the party guests to order product from the catalog. You as the instructor do not give any of the money you collect from your students to the umbrella company, and you get a commission for any product that is sold.

The reason you don't hold parties on your own is because it's not really a party, it's just private instruction.

I have talked to them, but I am also currently an active Wilton Method Instructor. I am waiting to hear back from Wilton to find out if this represents conflict of interest. I always have students ask me about private in home instruction, however, I have never done any on my own. I can not use Wilton instructional information for non Wilton specific classes. The Icing on the Cake Home Parties have an interesting concept behind it.

I just have to weigh all the pros and cons before I can make a decision about whether or not this is a viable option to teach additional students for additional income.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 11:33pm
post #62 of 65

But you aren't selling product you are teaching a one shot class at a party as a party activity. Why give money to an umbrella company when you can keep it all yourself.

Avon, Mary Kay, Tupperware and other sorts of "party sales" are not even close to being the same thing as offering cake decorating activity at a party. Plus you can stir interest in your other classes that you offer.

EnjoyTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnjoyTheCake Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 1:08am
post #63 of 65

The party only generates money for the parent company, of which the instructors are independent contractors, not employees, with product sales. The $15 (or whatever the fee is per attendee) goes all to the instructor. None of that fee goes to the Company.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 1:12am
post #64 of 65

For those that are WMI's looking into this and work at Michael's...

They consider it a conflict of interest and if corporate (or someone who is a by the book manager) catches wind of it you will be released/fired from Michael's.

I was asked to do classes that Wilton doesn't teach (high end advanced gumpaste things like crowns, shoes etc) in front of the store manager during a class a few weeks ago.

I told them I'd look into the policy. He asked around and got a letter straight from corporate that he gave me a copy of. "The employee is bound by Michael's policy and guidelines that they are not to work for a competitor of any kind. By teaching individual classes or private lessons for cake decorating it would be considered a conflict of interest and if discovered instant dismissal from our company."

Their view is pretty black and white with no in between.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 1:38pm
post #65 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyTheCake

The party only generates money for the parent company, of which the instructors are independent contractors, not employees, with product sales. The $15 (or whatever the fee is per attendee) goes all to the instructor. None of that fee goes to the Company.

Well I would rather collect my full $20 to $25 per attendee than $15, especially since all the ingredient & supply costs are coming out of my pocket, as it would be with the umbrella company too. I mean honestly the only thing the umbrella company is providing is the party lead/booking. So what; I can do that myself too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%