Icing On The Cake Home Parties

Decorating By kkelch75 Updated 15 Mar 2010 , 1:38pm by cakesdivine

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 8:34pm
post #31 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by hails

Wow, that sounds lucrative and fun, I would love to do something like that.
I have no idea how I would even get started, how do you start the process, would you mind sharing PLEASE, I don't expect it but would appreciate it, thanks so much have a great day!!!

the idea sprang up from a cake decorating class I was hosting at my local party store (as a way to help them to make more money) I hosted the class for free, and they charged $25/person for a 2 hr. class. One lady that took the class didn't feel like she fully understood the way I make roses so she asked if I would consider doing a one on one class with just her. I agreed and she had so much fun that she asked if we could do it again and could her sister and best friend come too?? I said sure it would be the same price for them as well and then the idea was sprung.

My initial idea was that it would be cool to do it for kids parties and offer to bring cupcakes/minicakes and have each kid pay a certain price and they could decorate and leave with a decorated cupcake/cake in a little bakery box.

I started to talk to people here and there about it (never advertised it really) and I started getting calls from adults wanting to know if I would do it for them.

That's how it got started. It's a ball.......usually it's bachelorette parties or bridal showers, I haven't had any guys try to join in (though plenty have hovered and been shooed away lol).......there have been times when people also wanted larger cakes and I just charge extra for that.

Basically I'm charging them double what I would charge if I made the cake myself and it's done in half the time. I would much prefer host a party for 10 people with 10 mini cakes then to have to make 10 little perfect mini cakes myself lol

pattycakenicing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakenicing Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 8:44pm
post #32 of 65

Why do you think that all students are going to try and sell cakes under the table. Didn't you? Icing on the Cake Home Parties teaches classes for those that want to learn and not how to become illegal cake decorators. Florida laws also certify home kitchens for those that want to sell cakes. I use to live in Florida before moving to Texas and had a certified kitchen in my home.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 10:07pm
post #33 of 65

No I didn't. I had hoped to open a home cake business and did my research and found outr it is not possible.

Many went out and started their own bakery's and some became teachers. Most of them baked and decorated cakes out of their homes for others and was paid their worth.

It's right on their home page that students make cakes at home and sell for profit... and no that is incorrect FL law does NOT allow a home kitchen that is attached in any way to your personal living space to become licensed and legal home food production buisness.
It must be a commercial grade kitchen fully equiped all the way with fire code and health code standards and if it is on your personal home property( a small separate building that meets all criteria) then you have to live within the correct zoning for it to happen legally.

Now becoming a teacher sounds OK if you can find enough students to make it work, providing you can afford to start with their kit fees. That part of it is A-OK.

The part advertising that everyone needs extra income and including the home cake maker part is what is not.

kkelch75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkelch75 Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 10:57pm
post #34 of 65

Well, just finished a 1/2 hour convesation with them. So far, it sounds legit. She sounds like a sweet, genuine lady who really is just trying to help people make some $$ in this crazy economy. From what I understand, there is a kit for sale, which is enough for a 7 person party to decorate with- and I don't even have to buy that if I have supplies at home. Other than that, I don't know of any other start-up costs. She's going to be sending me paperwork soon. Thanks for your inputicon_smile.gif Will keep y'all posted!

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 12:43am
post #35 of 65

That's great I hope it is successful for you and you have a great time!!!... just make sure people(students) know about selling cake in FL and the Fl law. So that no one can look back and try to pin any blame on you.

And about the people who are running that... they could be the nicest people really, and maybe they don't know about FL law either, but the misleading info just bugs me, because it could lead to someone getting in more trouble then they can afford to get out of.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 1:07am
post #36 of 65

My cousin is a really nice guy, but his business is internet sales/affiliate marketing/selling crap and he basically takes suckers' money. I don't know anything about the company being discussed in this thread, but I'm just saying that "nice" doesn't always mean everything is 100% on the up and up.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 5:26am
post #37 of 65

Ok this subject of this company was touched on last week.

Why would ANY of you sign up for this? You can offer cake decorating parties all on your own and KEEP all the profit instead of sharing it!

I have been doing cake decorating parties for years. There is a link on my website, and if the party goers really enjoy themselves and want to pursue cake decorating further they then are given info on the cake decorating courses I offer. What floors me about that company is that they tell people that they don't need ANY experience in cake decorating to become one of their instructors because they have DVD's for them to learn from.

I have a problem with a company that thinks that any joe blow off the street can become a cake decorator. It is an art form and not everyone has a talent for it AND most importantly not everyone has the ability to teach what they know.

No it isn't a scam but to me it is like being a pimp for cake decorators...LOL! You know the hooker does all the work and takes all the risks, while the pimp makes the majority of the money just for the set up. Crazy if you ask me.

If you want to do cake decorating parties then just do them and advertise them yourself...I do.

www.cakes-divine.com/Classes.html go to the bottom of the page for the parties.

Or also go to www.clpac.com/cakedecoparty.html

You don't need a cake pimp icon_wink.gif

costumeczar Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 12:10pm
post #38 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

You don't need a cake pimp icon_wink.gif

Ha ha ha, I was laughing and my husaband asked why, so I told him what you said...He immediately said (in a Buddy Valastro accent ) "They call me the Cake Pimp!" icon_lol.gif

jhay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhay Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 2:10pm
post #39 of 65

Do you need to have some sort of business license to run your own cake classes? I've been asked to do that, but I am hesitant.

Also, if you teach certain techniques (i.e. the "Wilton" rose) is that considered copywrighted material?

cakesdivine Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 3:09pm
post #40 of 65

Any time you start a business of any kind you need a DBA (doing business as license), possible insurance, possible tax ID, and if you hire anyone you will need an EIN from the IRS. You don't have to have a degree or certification to teach cake decorating. If you revamp the "wilton" rose by not changing the tips and not starting with the 10 round cone, and you use your rose tip to form the cone in the center then it isn't the Wilton technique. Plus, I think that technique was probably around long before Wilton was in existance. He was just the pioneer in starting a cake decorating only school, as opposed to a culinary/pastry major school. Cake decorating is only a small portion of a pastry chefs education.

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 3:40pm
post #41 of 65

Cakesdivine... I want to come to your cake classes. I wish you were in Colorado.

Would you also need the same kind of food licencing that you need to sell cakes, I wonder.

jhay Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 3:44pm
post #42 of 65

Gotcha! Thanks for the information! I may look into it.

jhay Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 4:21pm
post #43 of 65
Quote:
Quote:

"Would you also need the same kind of food licencing that you need to sell cakes, I wonder?"

I wouldn't think so b/c you're not actually doing any of the cooking/baking.

costumeczar Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 4:29pm
post #44 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhay

Quote:
Quote:

"Would you also need the same kind of food licencing that you need to sell cakes, I wonder?"

I wouldn't think so b/c you're not actually doing any of the cooking/baking.

It could be different in different locations, but one culinary school here didn't have to have food inspections because they didn't technically fall under the umbrella of a food purveyor.

cakesdivine Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 5:12pm
post #45 of 65

You aren't selling the food, each student brings their own cake to the class to decorate or you can use dummy's. It is the selling of food that requires a food license. However, when you teach a class let your student's know of the local HD laws that apply, and about taking a food safety course irregardless. Even if you are just giving baked goods and cakes away, you are exposing others to possible food born illnesses if you don't know basic food safety guidelines. The more knowledge one has about any subject they wish to dabble in is a plus! icon_smile.gif

Thank you Sagebrush. I have only flown over Colorado on my way to Vegas & LA...LOL! Would love to come there, but only in the summer time. I am so not a winter person...LOL!

jhay Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 5:20pm
post #46 of 65

cakesdivine,

If all you did was the cake classes and the parties, you would still need some sort of business license, right?

I'm going to call City Hall later today and ask about it. If it isn't TOO much of a hassle, I think it would be fun!

cakesdivine Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 5:55pm
post #47 of 65

The parties take place at the venue the party owner has booked (could be their home). If you bake/make and provide the cake & icing then yes you have to have a food establishment/manufacturers license. But, if they are making the cake/cupcakes/icing themselves then you don't. Just bring your supplies and have fun.

Another reason why the icing on the cake parties are a bit haphazard. Most states won't allow you to do cakes from your home kitchen...And Florida across the board is illegal to have an inhome bakery. Just went to the link for FL ag dept. posted on a master list of states that show who does & doesn't allow home bakeries. Florida does not allow it.

In cake classes you want your students to bake their own cakes or use dummies, so you don't need a food est/manf. lic. HTH icon_smile.gif

aine2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aine2 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 6:09pm
post #48 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhay

Just a thought...

I know that when you buy the Lorraine McKay tutorials it specifically asks that people not use them to teach others... it makes Lorraine lose money on potential sales of her product.

Just to clarify...my business name used to be The Icing on the Cake but last year the name was changed to Extra Icing. My tutorials are protected by Copyright but I don't think they are being abused in this way. It's not that I would lose any money from potential sales but more that the contents of something which was originated by me should only be taught personally by me. They can be reproduced for personal use which is covered in the Copyright Statement included in the tutorials. The Icing on the Cake is a popular name here in the UK for cake shops and not wanting to be confused with others, I changed it in keeping with my blog. I can understand the confusion but there is no association between myself and Icing on the Cake home parties. Thank you for your PM's but there is nothing to worry about here. thumbs_up.gif

jhay Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 6:21pm
post #49 of 65

Yes, it does! Thanks!

I wouldn't plan on baking or making any food item. They'd have to do that themselves.

I'll find out if I need a license just to teach and let you guys know what I find out!

THANKS! icon_biggrin.gif

jhay Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 6:44pm
post #50 of 65
Quote:
Quote:

Just to clarify...my business name used to be The Icing on the Cake but last year the name was changed to Extra Icing. My tutorials are protected by Copyright but I don't think they are being abused in this way. It's not that I would lose any money from potential sales but more that the contents of something which was originated by me should only be taught personally by me. They can be reproduced for personal use which is covered in the Copyright Statement included in the tutorials. The Icing on the Cake is a popular name here in the UK for cake shops and not wanting to be confused with others, I changed it in keeping with my blog. I can understand the confusion but there is no association between myself and Icing on the Cake home parties. Thank you for your PM's but there is nothing to worry about here.

Thank you for the clarification and confirmation. I'm a huge fan of your work. It sounded kind of wierd to me at first, but now I understand that the business being discussed is completely different than yours.

Thank you by the way for offering those tutorials! They have been fabulous!

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 8:39pm
post #51 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTFundraiser

From the writing - it's obvious that English is not their native language. I always suspect anything like that.

Ok, this hit a nerve, but because it is internet I don't want to take it the wrong way. Are you saying that if a person is not a native speaker of English then you think they're scammers?
I know about the nigerian, etc scams, but your comment just sounded wrong.

hails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hails Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 9:50pm
post #52 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiecast

Quote:

From the writing - it's obvious that English is not their native language. I always suspect anything like that.

Ok, this hit a nerve, but because it is internet I don't want to take it the wrong way. Are you saying that if a person is not a native speaker of English then you think they're scammers?

I totally agree with you that message took me back when I read it, let's hope it was not meant the way it sounded, have a great day!!!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 12:39am
post #53 of 65
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I totally agree with you that message took me back when I read it, let's hope it was not meant the way it sounded, have a great day!!!

I don't think anything offensive was implied there...if you look for the posts about scam emails, the language is always a little bit off, for example a cake with "Happy Marriage Life" written on it, or "and the cake shall be in the form of..." And when my sister was looking for a car, there was someone she emailed from an ad and the language was slightly odd, a bit more formal than the way that native English speakers usually converse, and it turned out to be a scam too.

thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 3:25am
post #54 of 65

I talked to Josie Jennings today and she is the one along with her husband who started this business. They have been in business for about 7 months. It is a new company so things aren't perfect. She has been swamped with inquires about the business. It sounds like it would be a fun thing to do. She is going to send me information in the mail. All in all, I do believe it is a legitimate business.

cakesdivine Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 3:35am
post #55 of 65

Still I don't understand why a cake decorator would join this company? Just do the parties yourself and make all the money yourself. They didn't invent the cake decorating party idea, It has been around for years.

If you would like to offer cake decorating parties then advertise on CL and in your community and have fun! NO reason to give someone else a penny while you do all the work!

Karabear1125 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karabear1125 Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 3:59am
post #56 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

Still I don't understand why a cake decorator would join this company? Just do the parties yourself and make all the money yourself. They didn't invent the cake decorating party idea, It has been around for years.

If you would like to offer cake decorating parties then advertise on CL and in your community and have fun! NO reason to give someone else a penny while you do all the work!

I agree!!

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 4:37am
post #57 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I don't think anything offensive was implied there...if you look for the posts about scam emails, the language is always a little bit off, for example a cake with "Happy Marriage Life" written on it, or "and the cake shall be in the form of..." And when my sister was looking for a car, there was someone she emailed from an ad and the language was slightly odd, a bit more formal than the way that native English speakers usually converse, and it turned out to be a scam too.

Well, that's why I made the comment I did. I did not want to offend anyone. Maybe I'm sensitive since English is not my native language, but that doesn't make me a scammer. lol

thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 6:14am
post #58 of 65

I got my info in the mail and in order to sign up with them they want your drivers license number and your SS#. That scares me so I wrote to her and told her I didn't feel comfortable giving out that info. This is what she wrote back to me -

'I understand, but our attorney said that if we send others into someone else home that they are under our company name even if they are independent. We have to make sure that we have information on that person. Plus your W9 form for taxes needs the Social Security number on it. None of the information you send us goes anywhere else other then IRS.

MY husband and I have both been screened twice through all criminal background checks due to the Travel Agency we owned in Texas. We dealt with the Federal Government Aviation Center and had to go through all the security checks. They came out and took our fingerprints, pictures and asked questions on our background'

What do you gals think? Should I do this or not?

Karabear1125 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karabear1125 Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 8:38am
post #59 of 65

I think that you don't need them and can do it on your own..that's just what I would do though..good luck w/your decision!

costumeczar Posted 7 Mar 2010 , 2:24pm
post #60 of 65

I just looked up the W-9 for another thread...That's the form they use to report your income to the IRS on the 1099 form at the end of the year, so it's a legitimate request. I don't know about a driver's license number , though. When I fill out my W-9 I sue my business FEIN number, not my Social Seciruty, because I'm a licensed busienss. If you're being paid by someone else to do work as an independent contractor, which I think is what they're talking about, then you'd use your social security number.

If you're not sure about it, get them to send you the copy of the W-9, and you can fill it out and send it back to them. I don't think there's anything on it that asks for your driver's license number. Or do what the other poster said and just do the parties yourself as a side business and report your income on your personal taxes as self-employment income icon_smile.gif (Remember if you do that you might have to pay estimated taxes depending on how much you make doing it)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%