*@~! Gotta Run To The Store And Buy More Lemons

Decorating By prterrell Updated 24 Feb 2010 , 10:21pm by Bethkay

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 7:09pm
post #1 of 16

Grrrr. Trying out a new formula for lemon butter cake.

Put 2/3 c fresh squeezed lemon juice in batter, so I added baking soda in addition to the baking powder. Apparently 1 tsp was too much as the cakes are only 1/2 done after half an hour and have already fallen.

:sigh: I hate it when a recipe fails this bad!

15 replies
Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 7:25pm
post #2 of 16

oooh - so sorry - I hate it when I have to REDO!!! You could also use a little less juice and some zest for the strong flavor and less acidity?

prterrell Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 7:29pm
post #3 of 16

Oh, I was using zest and juice and extract. icon_biggrin.gif

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 7:38pm
post #4 of 16

Now THAT is some LEMON!! hahaha! I hope your next batch works out - just make sure and have plenty of extras on hand !

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 7:45pm
post #5 of 16

I hate it when that happens. I recently had an issue with lemon poppyseed muffins. I'm supposed to be finding a recipe I like for this coffee shop. I didn't think to buy extra lemons and when I finished my first batch I realized you could hardly taste the lemon at all!!! So frustrating!

prterrell Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 9:16pm
post #6 of 16

I think this second batch is going to work. It's in the oven now, so keeping my fingers crossed. I only use 1/2 c lemon juice this time and reduced the baking soda to 1/2 tsp and the baking powder to 1 tsp. I'd rather it come out more like a pound cake (at least then it's usable and I can tweak it the next time I make it) than collapsed and inedible like the first batch!

prterrell Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 10:38pm
post #7 of 16

icon_mad.gif Second try also failed, although not as spectacularly as the first!

Off for try number three! icon_rolleyes.gif

kiwigal81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiwigal81 Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 10:57pm
post #8 of 16

Let us know how it goes! I'm avidly watching to see what the secret to success isicon_smile.gif

prterrell Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 12:29am
post #9 of 16

Unfortunately, I realized I only had enough sugar on hand to make icing. icon_rolleyes.gif It was getting late, so I decided to use a doctored cake mix (this isn't for an order, just taking to church tomorrow) as I'd wisely picked up a box of cake mix and pudding mix while I was at the store. I'll be trying batch # 3 sometime this week.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 11:27pm
post #10 of 16

Now you have me wanting some lemon cake...yum..Hope it works out for you!! mmm I just love lemon cake with lemon glaze..

sugarplumfairycanada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarplumfairycanada Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 11:39pm
post #11 of 16

I hate having to do do-overs as well. When I make lemon cake I use Kate Sullivan's 1-2-3-4 buttercake. To the batter I add the zest of 1 lemon and use lemon extract instead of vanilla. I then squeeze the lemon and add some sugar and make a simple syrup. When the cake is baked and still warm I brush the top of the cake with the syrup and have also brushed the torted layers when filling the cake as well. The cake has a nice texture and great flavour. Good luck!!

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 12:09am
post #12 of 16

I do exactly as sugarplum does. The acidity in lemon juice throws off the baking chemistry. That's why most recipes only call for extract and/or zest in the batter. Best to add the juice after it's baked.

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 11:20pm
post #13 of 16

I just hate the taste of boxed lemon cake mix so I tried a tip that I found here on cc using yellow cake, lemon pudding mix, lemon zest, and just a tablespoon of lemon juice. PERFECTIONicon_smile.gif Nice authentic lemon flavor, super moist, rose perfectly - It doesn't take much to make me happyicon_smile.gif

Bethkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethkay Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 9:44pm
post #14 of 16

I have also struggled to find a lemon cake that I was happy with. Recently a fellow CCer suggested the Magnolia Bakery Lemon Layer Cake. I tried it for Valentine's Day. It baked up nicely and passed my family's taste test. thumbs_up.gif The recipe is unusual in that it uses self-rising flour. If you are still struggling with your recipe, give it a try.

penguinprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
penguinprincess Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 9:58pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethkay

I have also struggled to find a lemon cake that I was happy with. Recently a fellow CCer suggested the Magnolia Bakery Lemon Layer Cake. I tried it for Valentine's Day. It baked up nicely and passed my family's taste test. thumbs_up.gif The recipe is unusual in that it uses self-rising flour. If you are still struggling with your recipe, give it a try.

Oh That sounds yummy! Do you mind sharing the recipe? All I could find was the Lemon-Vanilla Bundt recipe. Now I am craving a Lemon cake! Thank you!

Bethkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethkay Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 10:21pm
post #16 of 16

This is what I used.

Lemon Layer Cake

Lemon Layer Cake
1 c. (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2 c. sugar
4 large eggs, at room temp.
1-1/2 c. self-rising flour
1-1/4 c. all-purpose flour
3/4 c. milk
1/4 c. fresh lemon juice
2 tsp. grated lemon zest
Preheat oven to 350F.
Grease and lightly flour three 9"x2" round cake pans; line the bottoms with waxed or parchment paper.
In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter until smooth.
Add the sugar gradually and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
Add the eggs one at a time.
Combine the flours and add in four parts, alternating with the milk an dthe lemon juice and zest, beating well after each addition.
Divide the cake batter among the cake pans.
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
Let cakes cool in pans for 10 minutes.
Remove from pans and cool completely on wire rack.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%