Your First Wedding Cake.

Business By Annso Updated 27 Jan 2010 , 2:08pm by minicuppie

Annso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annso Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 12:29am
post #1 of 9

Greetings ladies and gents. I'm a newbie in the buisness and I was just wondering how long after starting your buisness did you get your first wedding cake order? Did you have advertise your wedding cakes separately from your other cakes?

thanks

8 replies
CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 12:32am
post #2 of 9

If you want the wedding market, you need to target that market. My birthday and party cakes are completely separate from wedding marketing.

KawaiiCakeCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KawaiiCakeCook Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 12:41am
post #3 of 9

My first wedding cake was a gift to a young enlisted couple, and was one step short of a disaster. But it turned out well. I prefer grooms cake personally

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 12:46am
post #4 of 9

I pretty much only do wedding cakes. So, I started right away.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 12:47am
post #5 of 9

My first wedding cake was a gift to friends. From that gift I got an order for another one. I would start with friends, then once you are comfortable move onto bridal shows, venues, etc.

Here it is...

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1267885

Annso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annso Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 1:58am
post #6 of 9

That is a very beautiful first time cake. I really would like to target the wedding market I was thinking of decorating some fake ones for my porfolio but i can't seem to get any dummies. The tricky part is I live in the caribbean so i"ll have to order them which is another expense on my pocket.

cpastrychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cpastrychef Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 11:44am
post #7 of 9

I also was asked by a friend to make her wedding cake. I was so nervous I sat on the tray of buttercream flowers that I had made ahead of time and frozen. Word of mouth after that.

sweetartbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetartbakery Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 12:15pm
post #8 of 9

I'm in the US, in PA and I have to order EVERYTHING. No good supplier around me (unless someone would like to tell of one that I don't know about!!).

My first cake was a wedding cake. My brother wanted to save money on his wedding, so I offered to give it a try. I had never liked baking, but I like to think that I am creative. I read forums on here and just did it. no $ of course. I like it though, so then I did cool birthday cakes for my kids. other parents saw them and BANG I was getting order. Went official about 6 months later. I'm in the process of scaling to a commercial kitchen now.... I also market for wedding separately!

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 27 Jan 2010 , 2:08pm
post #9 of 9

Bake real cakes if it costs less, esp if you are working on skills. Styrofoam is a lot easier to work with so you don't get any last minute uh-oh's that are so educational.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%