Cake Box Mix How Many Servings Per Box

Decorating By cakesmade4u Updated 26 Jan 2010 , 9:14pm by greengyrl26

cakesmade4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmade4u Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 4:13am
post #1 of 9

Just wanted to ask how many servings per 1 box of cake mix just a debate with the hubby. And serving size.

8 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 4:15am
post #2 of 9

Well, that info should be on the side of the box with the nutritional info.

Serving size is something a lot of members can't agree on....

HTH

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 5:09am
post #3 of 9

It depends on the box. Not all cake mixes are created equal.

However, given that the majority of box mixes supposedly make enough for a 9"x13"x2" layer cake (although most of them seem to come out closer to around 1-1.2 inches tall, not 2), there should be approximately 25 servings in a box.

The industry standard serving size of a piece of cake is 1"x2"x4", not that EVERYONE follows that rule.

Plus, the "serving size" on the box is whatever the company decided it would be in order to make their nutritional information look the way they wanted. Lots of company's will market something as having "only 100 calories per serving" or some such, but then you look closer and one serving is something closer to one bite. icon_rolleyes.gif It's all about the manipulation of the numbers for marketing.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 3:28pm
post #4 of 9

I'd say about 12-15 servings in a box of cake mix. I'd use this number when doing a character cake or a cake for a family dessert (cut in wedges).

I use the Wilton wedding chart for serving size for the different cake pans for all other cakes.

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 3:35pm
post #5 of 9

I use the Wilton wedding chart for serving sizes, but it only has even sized pans (6", 8", 10", etc.) I really want to invest in some odd sized pans (5", 7" 9", etc.), but don't know how many servings they yield. And I want to use a guide that is in line with Wilton's (ie...same serving sizes). Does anyone know of a guide that can help?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 3:39pm
post #6 of 9

On Wilton's Guide there is amounts for the 7 and 9 inch in rounds.

greengyrl26 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 3:46pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

On Wilton's Guide there is amounts for the 7 and 9 inch in rounds.

Yes, there are for 7 & 9 rounds, but not squares. And I'm looking for 5", 11" & bigger (in both square & round pans). Thanks though!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 8:18pm
post #8 of 9

Square pans are super easy to figure out servings!

Multiply the size of the pan by itzelf (square it) to get the surface area, then divide by 2 (the surface area of a standard serving of cake). Voila!

For example, 7" square pan:
7 x 7 = 49
49/2 = 24.5, so a 7" pan will have 24 servings. Use this # when calculating price, but for calculating how many servings someone will need in a tiered cake, round down to 20 (tell customer "about 20") to account for any variance in cutting.

HTH!

greengyrl26 Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 9:14pm
post #9 of 9

prterrell...that does help...thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%