Can This Be Done? Wedding Cake For $300

Decorating By HamSquad Updated 8 Jan 2014 , 1:01am by kmanning

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 5:20pm
post #61 of 106

Ok here is another option. At our local restaurant supply store they sell sheet cakes to serve something like 90 wedding servings, these cakes are three layers white cake with two layers fillings (i think they come in two different filling flavors) for about $50 each and if they are not left to sit around for days they are quite good.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 5:25pm
post #62 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

yeah something is wrong with her math. 700 servings x $1.50 = $1050.

But here's what pisses me off. She's planning a big 'ole PARTY for 700 of her "closest and dearest" friends ..... and she wants to pay $300 for cake.

Tell Miss Tight A$$ that for 43 cents a serving, she'll be lucky to get day old Twinkies.

And she better get a reality check REAL fast or her Bridezilla gene is going to surface and it will be everyone else's fault that she can't have a "nice" wedding.

Sorry, but in my old age, I just have zero tolerance for crap like this anymore.

^^^What she said!!! <Giving Debi a standing "O"> thumbs_up.gif

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 5:27pm
post #63 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplegumKitchen

MY SOLUTION .... use her 300 bucks to make a giant ALL-DAY SUCKER - it can get passed around and everybody gets to have a LICK!! icon_razz.gificon_biggrin.gif

When I stop laughing I'll have to remember this one! icon_lol.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 6:22pm
post #64 of 106

OP, you must have a kind heart to be doing the research for your sister's co-worker.

she could make her own and be very proud of it like this CCer...

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1257319

Seriously, if SHE put forth some work, SHE could have exactly what SHE wanted.

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 6:33pm
post #65 of 106

I see a couple of options here.

A - Go the advertising route... make a 28" x 25" single layer sheet cake and it huge letters write "This cake was made by: Phone: " so that it looks like a giant billboard. Heck, put your picture on it too. Or make it look like a business card. Serve 1" x 1" pieces. Set up a a poster board display with pics of your real wedding cakes.

B - Tell her she can buy that mini bite sized cupcake machine I posted yesterday that cooks 7 and a time. Punch out 700 of them and stack them in a pyramid.

C - Just don't do it

I vote for C.

this-momma-rocks.... Helen Waite... that is some funny stuff! icon_biggrin.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 6:36pm
post #66 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

Yes, your right, and that would be my daughter saying that. icon_lol.gif

icon_twisted.gif

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 6:46pm
post #67 of 106

If she hasn't sent out invitations yet, just tell her to include an envelope in each one for the guests to send in their cake money. It could be like a field trip!! icon_biggrin.gif

enchantedcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enchantedcreations Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 6:55pm
post #68 of 106

Okay, here's one, my ex-husband was planning his third wedding...ha ha, and his soon to be wife was in marketing. She approached Hostess and requested a wedding cake made out of Twinkies! They did provide it, at no cost, just as a marking tool because the bride was "in the business", but they were all stale!!!!!! To me, this is just as tacky... anyone else?

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 7:02pm
post #69 of 106

icon_eek.gifthumbsdown.gif

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 7:09pm
post #70 of 106

Even this might run her more than $300, but it might be close.

http://www.uglydress.com/weddinghostess.html

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 7:11pm
post #71 of 106
Quote:
Quote:

Okay, here's one, my ex-husband was planning his third wedding...ha ha, and his soon to be wife was in marketing. She approached Hostess and requested a wedding cake made out of Twinkies! They did provide it, at no cost, just as a marking tool because the bride was "in the business", but they were all stale!!!!!! To me, this is just as tacky... anyone else?

WOW.. yummo! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote:
Quote:

Yes, your right, and that would be my daughter saying that.

We have raised them right! My little girl usually says "mom they must have gotten a Walmart cake because it was not good".. funny but she could at least wait until we get in the car to say it! icon_biggrin.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 7:29pm
post #72 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by enchantedcreations

Leahs made a Twinkie cake, it used to be in her pic's.

enchantedcreations Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 7:43pm
post #73 of 106

I'm sorry, but if you are going to ask people to "witness" your day, you need to treat them right and I believe in feeding them right. You don't need to blow your budget but there is a right way of doing things and an incorrect way of doing things. You can have a beautiful day without breaking the bank but you have to be smart about it. I think twinkies screams "cheap". JMO

costumeczar Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 8:07pm
post #74 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelgirl

We have raised them right! My little girl usually says "mom they must have gotten a Walmart cake because it was not good".. funny but she could at least wait until we get in the car to say it! icon_biggrin.gif

Ha ha, my daughter says the same thing! She also won't even have a piece of the cake sometimes, and we have to tell her it's okay to take some to be polite. She's probably the only kid at the party not eating the Walmart cake.

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 8:29pm
post #75 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

OP, you must have a kind heart to be doing the research for your sister's co-worker.

she could make her own and be very proud of it like this CCer...

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1257319

Seriously, if SHE put forth some work, SHE could have exactly what SHE wanted.

This.

Are they serving a meal? I feel that dessert should be consistent with the rest of the meal. Cut back a little on the rest of the food and bump up the cake budget. Because you wouldn't find a decorator at anywhere clost to $300.

If this is a cake and punch and you're being obligated to invite the whole church/community you might want to think about DIY. Even that would be challeging to come in at a $300 budget.

I also made my own wedding cake - I was also up until 2 am finishing it.
And I have calculated my 'cost' for ingredients and supplies (boards, etc) at about $1 per serving. This could be brought down if you went with boxed mix. You would still need to rent or buy the pans and some sort of support system. I would recommend SPS. I'm just not sure that you could get it all for under $300 (definately not at Canadian prices anyway).

Add in extra for a burnt cake or two and a few practice test for icing recipes and the budget is toast. Not to mention the challenge of making that amount of icing if you don't have a stand mixer.

If they decide the DIY route - this type of icing/decorating would be the best choice to hide flaws.

http://adaofcourse.com/weddings/small-chocolate-wedding-cake3/

sweetlayers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlayers Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 8:51pm
post #76 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSquad

My sister has a co-worker who is planning an October Wedding. The Bride states between the two families, the plans are to invite 700 guests.

The bride is trying to save money by limiting the budget for the cake. She really wants a yellow cake covered with chocolate frosting. She only wants to pay $1.50 per slice. Can this be done?

Need some ideals as the best way she can pull this one off. icon_confused.gif The bride is really convinced that she can find a cake for $300.00 total. TIA
Hamsquad

Don't waste your time talking to such people.

DelectabilityCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelectabilityCakes Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 9:19pm
post #77 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Tubbs

A little while ago I quoted for an 800 serving wedding cake. The bride wanted 10 tiers, so some would be dummy cake, and a massively strong support would have been necessary. I quoted over $6000. I never heard back, so assume I didn't get the job - sticker shock maybe - but that's just fine, because I wouldn't have done it for less. Cake for 700 or 800 is A LOT of cake!!!!

How much do you charge per serving?

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 9:39pm
post #78 of 106

If she'd cut just 15-20 guests, she'd have made up for more than enough money she needs to serve her 680 -685 remaining guests. Of course all this depends on whether she is serving them a single meatball each in her back yard, or if she is having a sit down dinner at the local country club.

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 9:49pm
post #79 of 106

Have the guest bring their favorite desserts to share for the wedding. You can have a dessert bar.

Purchase sheet cakes from costco.

The bride's family provides beverages, apple cider, tea, water.
coffee etc.

Have the event in the morning around 9:30-10:00 a.m.

Hope this helps

marzipandoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marzipandoll Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 10:07pm
post #80 of 106

Hahahah this thread is funny! Answer is NOT even between best friends. 700 guests? She needs to wake up with her budget. That's an insult!

quilting2011 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 10:43pm
post #81 of 106

Have the bride request cakes as presents.

costumeczar Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 10:52pm
post #82 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by bundtdiva

Have the bride request cakes as presents.

That's a good one, but then she'd have to give up the gifts that she's expecting to get from her 700 best friends!

When I got married we had a lot of musician and student friends who had no money, so we didn't expect them to give us presents and told them so. Two of my more well-to-do friends wanted to throw us a brunch party, and as they started planning it I realized that they were expecting everyone to bring presents. I told them that I'd prefer not to have gifts involved, and they got all snippy and one of them asked me "What are we supposed to do, just invite people over for brunch?" icon_confused.gif Uh, yes? Anyway, they cancelled the whole thing, since they couldn't conceive of an event where you didn't gather donations from your guests. Anyone who's inviting 700 people to their wedding isn't inviting their friends, they're looking for a gift bonanza.

I'm really hoping that was a typo and it was really 70 people, but I doubt it.

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 11:26pm
post #83 of 106

OMG.. this reminds me of a bride from last summer. They invited like 200+ guest. ON the wedding invitation there were requesting money or Home Depot gift cards. They had lived together for a couple of years and said they didn't need a toaster, pans, towels, etc.. They only needed money and gift cards to work on their home. icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif

enchantedcreations Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 11:47pm
post #84 of 106

how about one that's registered w/ a travel agency for their honeymoon? my girlfriend was invited to a wedding shower and the the invite had the registery listed indicating the couple had their honeymoon all planned out and your help would be greatly appreciated, etc.....

quilting2011 Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 12:09am
post #85 of 106

check out the website:

www.offbeatbride.com

a wedding for $100 in a cave. The wedding is simple and gorgeous!

Maybe your friend as I mentioned have a dessert bar. Keep it very simple, cookies, brownie bytes, bars. Ask costco to donate?

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 12:14am
post #86 of 106

What is it about getting married tha turns so many people into rude slobbering gimmee pigs?

costumeczar Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 12:37am
post #87 of 106

Putting registry information on the invitation is NEVER okay. You can register for just about anything these days, but it's meant to be a list to help people figure out what you'd like, not a list of demands!

Now we're on to etiquette...Back to cake. Where did the OP go? What happened with the bride?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 3:17am
post #88 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

What is it about getting married tha turns so many people into rude slobbering gimmee pigs?

for the best stories on this topic, check out www.etiquettehell.com !
You will just die at what some brides pull.

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 6:05pm
post #89 of 106
Quote:

check out the website:

www.offbeatbride.com

a wedding for $100 in a cave. The wedding is simple and gorgeous!

Maybe your friend as I mentioned have a dessert bar. Keep it very simple, cookies, brownie bytes, bars. Ask costco to donate?

I don't think that 700 ppl can fit in a cave...

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 6:45pm
post #90 of 106
Quote:

...Ask costco to donate?...

How would you even approach Costco with that?

"What do you mean, why should you donate? No, I don't WANT to trim my invite list! Yes, I already asked CakeCentral what to do and they just laughed at me. Yes, I know people in Haiti are starving and you're trying to donate food to them. But you have to help ME. It's my BIG day...even though I can't afford it, I deserve it!!! THE WORLD OWES ME CAKE!!!" {{at this point bride spirals down, screaming, and melts into a steaming puddle of tears and egg whites. A bubble slowly rises to the surface and...Pops! sending a tiny poof of powdered sugar dust up into the air}}

I should eat something...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%