The Best Fondant...?

Decorating By tatesmom Updated 11 Jan 2010 , 9:40pm by greengyrl26

tatesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatesmom Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 9:11pm
post #1 of 7

I need to know what the best type of fondant is...and by best I mean easiest to use! Scared to death of the stuff just to be honest, and I need all the tips and ideas I can get. Please and thank you!

6 replies
janinybeany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janinybeany Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 9:26pm
post #2 of 7

I'd be interested in this too! I've only used the Wilton stuff and man that is yucky icon_sad.gif

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 9:30pm
post #3 of 7

well for ease of use its Wilton (as long as you don't plan to eat it)

Then i find that fondx or satin ice pretty easy to use, and they both taste pretty good.

Best tasting (that i have tried) is Choco pan quite expensive and not as easy to use as the others.

This of course is JMO

MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 9:34pm
post #4 of 7

I have used Fondx, it is delicious. It taste like marshmellow. However, I don't think you can airbrush it. The Chocopan is also great tasting Here is a list of Sharon Zambito's favorites. Just scroll down towards the bottom.
http://sugaredblog.blogspot.com/2008/12/few-of-my-favorite-things.html

janinybeany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janinybeany Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 9:37pm
post #5 of 7

thanks guys - I had heard of Fondx - but is that only available through online ordering?

My kids want to be able to eat the fondant so Wilton's doesn't really work for me icon_redface.gif

tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 9:39pm
post #6 of 7

I LOVE Fondarific - the buttercream flavor is great and I have found it super easy to work with. What I don't like is the price, particularly since I don't sell cakes, so cannot recoup the cost, and I'd have to buy it online and have it shipped $$$

I took the advice of several contributors here and started making Michele Foster's Fondant (MFF) - recipe is here. It tastes good because you can flavor it however you want to and it's relatively inexpensive because the only non-grocery-store item in it is glycerin (which isn't expensive-just had to get it in a health food store). It's not quite as flexible to work with as Fondarific but has been a reasonable compromise for me.

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 9:40pm
post #7 of 7

Satin Ice is the way to go. Isn't quite as easy to work with as Wilton, but close. And tastes soooo much better!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%