No More Food Network And Hgtv

Lounge By cutthecake Updated 12 Jan 2010 , 5:30pm by 7yyrt

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 1:55pm
post #1 of 39

I searched and didn't find any threads on this.....Cablevision and Scripps are disputing and we're left without FoodTV and HGTV. Each side blames the other. I'm so annoyed! Over 3 million people were affected. I'm in withdrawal.
Cablevision says Scripps is asking for too much. Scripps says Cablevision isn't paying enough. The cable customers are caught in the middle.
On New Year's Eve, I watched the 11:30 House Hunters on HGTV. When it was over, the screen went blank. Nothing. Not a good way to start a new year.
Anyone else as frustrated as I am? I've sent emails and signed petitions. If any of you are affected by this, what are you doing about it? We can't change cable companies because we can only get the service that covers your own town.

38 replies
quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 1:58pm
post #2 of 39

That is why my husband decided to unplug. We have no Television at home.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 2:11pm
post #3 of 39

I read that yesterday. I'd be annoyed...not sure at who or what...but I'd be annoyed, for sure. Seems quite easy for cablevision to remedy...just increase those viewers' bill by the 25 cent that Scripps is asking. It would be nice if they gave the customers the option to add those channels or not.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 2:13pm
post #4 of 39

Wow, that sucks. My hubby just decided that we don't watch enough of the cable to warrant paying for it. I guess all my cake and cooking shows don't count. icon_sad.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 2:23pm
post #5 of 39

Fox was in a dispute with a big cable provider also. That one got settled, I think.

I can't even imagine a husband telling me I can't watch TV or that I can't have one. Frankly, I can't imagine a husband dictating *anything* to me. He'd be an ex-husband quicker than a New York minute. I'm an adult. I make my own money and I make my own decisions.

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 2:30pm
post #6 of 39

I'm with Leah....the first time my husband tries to tell me what I can or cannot do will be his last.

all4cake Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 2:36pm
post #7 of 39

If DH decided there'd be no more cable, so be it. For one thing, he watches it way the heck more than I...he'd be cutting off his nose to spite his face. Dang! I can find other(more expensive)ways to occupy my idle time. It doesn't make no nevermind to me.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 2:40pm
post #8 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Fox was in a dispute with a big cable provider also. That one got settled, I think.

I can't even imagine a husband telling me I can't watch TV or that I can't have one. Frankly, I can't imagine a husband dictating *anything* to me. He'd be an ex-husband quicker than a New York minute. I'm an adult. I make my own money and I make my own decisions.

Ditto! Take away my TV and you can go with it.

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 3:08pm
post #9 of 39

I can't understand why those cable companies can't afford to pay more to the networks, the cable bills are too high. Then again networks do get paid for commericals. I would think in the end the networks would probably give in because they have lost so many viewers. I mean how are they going to warrent what they charge for ad time when the have 3 million less viewers.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 3:09pm
post #10 of 39

agree... with leah_s.... no dictating from a husband.. i don,t dictate to him either....no dictating from anyone....worked all my life... don,t have to ask permission if i can buy or do somthing...

NJCakeDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NJCakeDiva Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 3:19pm
post #11 of 39

My brother-in law works for CableVision and he said it has been an absolute nightmare for the employees. Since all this began, employees have been calling out because they are so frustated with the constant stream of calls that have been coming in to the call center. We are the only cable subscribers right now who are without it.

I just learned today that WPIX will air the HGTV "Dream House" episode as well as "Iron Chef" with President Obama's chef.

manahigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manahigh Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 6:44pm
post #12 of 39

We turned off our cable last May. Since the change to digital from analog, we use the converter box and an antenna to watch local channels only. I went through withdrawal at first, but I have gone back to my love of reading and have averaged 3 books a week. In addition to the books, we also rented free movies through our library and have watched alot of good films we never would have seen. Do I miss my shows from TLC, HGTV and Bravo. Yes, and it was really hard when we could not watch our LSU Tigers play football this fall, but I think the good has offset the bad for us. If cable companys would let you select which channels you want to watch and pay for only them, we may hook the cable back up. Until then, you can find me somewhere besides in front of the TV.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 6:59pm
post #13 of 39

Seems like several issues have resulted in lost channels lately. We just lost Versus on our satellite and that was the primary carrier of the NHL games we like to watch.

Boy, all these hubbies that canceled cable...now they'll be sorry...they'll have to actually TALK to their spouses! icon_lol.gificon_eek.gificon_lol.gif

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 7:07pm
post #14 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by bundtdiva

That is why my husband decided to unplug. We have no Television at home.

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif What? I'm sorry to hear that.

didavista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didavista Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 7:13pm
post #15 of 39

That totally sucks...hope you guys get it back on cable. This is the one time I am glad I am too rural to have cable. Directv doesn't have any issues regarding this.

all4cake Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 7:13pm
post #16 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansmom2004

Boy, all these hubbies that canceled cable...now they'll be sorry...they'll have to actually TALK to their spouses! icon_lol.gificon_eek.gificon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gif "Tell me what cher thinkin' baby"

heeeeeeeey, I bet that suburban out front would get put back together! Anything but talkin'!

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 7:33pm
post #17 of 39

Had cable when I lived in town. Hated it. Moved 15 miles out of town & while they have cable, a mouse farting would cause it to go out. So, we got DirecTV & I LOVE IT. And the DVR dh got us last year is worth its weight in Gold. I don't watch tons, but it is my time for relaxing after the kids are in bed (this is where I use the DVR & it cuts a show's time almost in 1/2). I read too, but there are times when there's nothing like TV & coffee. And it doesn't hurt that dh will usually rub my shoulders when he's watching his shows. So, if he tried to get rid of it I'd break his leg (b/c breaking his fingers would mean no back rubs icon_smile.gif )

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 7:34pm
post #18 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Right on Leah! If I was still married and my husband put up a fuss about not needing HGTV or FoodNetwork, I'd point out that we probably don't need any of the ESPN HD stuff either - I'm mean, really, who watches that-lol

mirda6275 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mirda6275 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 7:39pm
post #19 of 39

newmansmom2004--I hear you on the versus issue. My hubby was ticked. Called direct tv tried to get anything from them (we got direct tv b/c at the time the other providers in our area didn't carry VS and he wanted his hockey). After 3-4 attempts at getting NHL center ice @ a discount we canceled and switched. The day after we switched we got 4 phone calls from direct tv trying to get us back, and yea, they all offered us NHL center ice for free. I finally took the phone, told the person a few polite things I had on my mind and told them they lost a customer, we have them several chances before we left to fix things and they didn't, why should we come back now.

anyway...back to the initial topic, I'd go nuts without food network ...and I know my mom would drive my dad up the wall without hgtv...I hope the issue gets resolved.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 7:53pm
post #20 of 39

Doesn't your area have satellite options as opposed to cable? We live in a rural area and eventhough Time Warner Cable, GVTC, and ATT offer cable services our little nitch isn't hooked up so we went with DishNetwork aka DishTV. We love it! My mom had Direct TV for a while and she cancelled and switched to DishTV.

dandelion56602 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 8:17pm
post #21 of 39

I really think it depends on the area & what you want/what's offered. We don't do hockey. Personally I HATE watching/listening or being anywhere near sports so that doesn't affect me. (Yes, I'm a bad mom who's praying my children get over playing sports b/c I want to be nowhere near a sports field/court) But dh loves the channel on DirecTV where he can pan through the news channels or the football games & pick which one to watch. Me, I do reality TV & old movies & seriously want my Netflix back since they now offer streaming it through your gaming system into your TV. (No, it's not my gaming system, HATE those too).

KawaiiCakeCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KawaiiCakeCook Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 8:26pm
post #22 of 39

We don't own a tv either, we have a dvd and screen and all that, but you'd be amazed at home much free time you have when you aren't sucked into the boobtube. My husband tells me to do stuff all the time, and I give it right back to him. We netflix and with the money we save on cable we travel. It's a pretty great deal.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 8:29pm
post #23 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirda6275

newmansmom2004--I hear you on the versus issue. My hubby was ticked. Called direct tv tried to get anything from them (we got direct tv b/c at the time the other providers in our area didn't carry VS and he wanted his hockey). After 3-4 attempts at getting NHL center ice @ a discount we canceled and switched. The day after we switched we got 4 phone calls from direct tv trying to get us back, and yea, they all offered us NHL center ice for free. I finally took the phone, told the person a few polite things I had on my mind and told them they lost a customer, we have them several chances before we left to fix things and they didn't, why should we come back now.

Oh yeah, DirecTV keeps giving us free Showtime every time we ask why we, AS LOYAL CUSTOMERS, can't get the free DVR deal they give to NEW customers! We just had 3 free months of Showtime and NEVER watched it - nothing but old crappy movies from the 80's that we've seen a hundred times on regular cable and local stations. Fuhgeddaboudit.

cutthecake Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 8:49pm
post #24 of 39

Wow! This thread took some twists and turns (even through divorce court!) since I last looked!

Time Warner is working on settling its dispute with Fox, and the Fox shows are being broadcast during the negotiations. Not so with Scripps/Cablevision.
I haven't turned on the TV in the kitchen all week, which I used to watch while cooking. Now there's nothing worth watching during the day.
And don't let me start on late-night TV. Nick at Nite, TV-Land, PIX, and everything else-- are awful. Not good for insomniacs.

I want my HGTV and Food Network without having to install a satellite dish!

watertown Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
watertown Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 9:07pm
post #25 of 39

I was sick of Cablevision to begin with, so this was the last straw. My husband has been looking into other services. The Dish doesn't carry YES (so they say), so that rules them out (that's the Yankee channel for anyone outside of the tri-state area). So I hope to switch to DirecTV soon. For about the same money, we will get more channels AND a DVR, which I'm very excited about. Goodbye Cablevision!!

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 9:17pm
post #26 of 39

I have DirectTV at my home, while DH has apartment out of state and has cable. I was VERY upset when I went for a visit and could not watch my late night FoodTV shows (... insomnia...)! icon_cry.gif

dandelion56602 Posted 7 Jan 2010 , 10:09pm
post #27 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansmom2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirda6275

Oh yeah, DirecTV keeps giving us free Showtime every time we ask why we, AS LOYAL CUSTOMERS, can't get the free DVR deal they give to NEW customers! We just had 3 free months of Showtime and NEVER watched it - nothing but old crappy movies from the 80's that we've seen a hundred times on regular cable and local stations. Fuhgeddaboudit.

Yeah, we've received almost 2 yrs of free Showtime. Not much on it. Wish I could choose the free channel I want, at least STARZ has a better movie selection

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 6:48am
post #28 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

Wow, that sucks. My hubby just decided that we don't watch enough of the cable to warrant paying for it. I guess all my cake and cooking shows don't count. icon_sad.gif

Wow, who died and put him in charge?

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 7:04am
post #29 of 39

Last year we didn't have CBS for many months because the CBS affiliate here was in some kind of a pi$$ing match with DISH. I missed a whole season of Amazing Race and Survivor! My DH complained to DISH and we got a bunch of movie channels, but no refund.

I have to admit, I'd miss my Food Network and all the cake shows, but I sure wouldn't miss the bill. I've tried to convince my DH to get rid of all of it, but nothing doing. He's certain he'll die if he doesn't have DISH.

cutthecake Posted 8 Jan 2010 , 1:06pm
post #30 of 39

WPIX is re-broadcasting some of the HGTV and FoodTV specials his week; and last night I saw Bobby Flay doing something like public service announcements about the situation.
Cablevision customers are not happy--all 3 million of us!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%