To Those Who Can Get Flawlessly Smooth Buttercream....

Decorating By Mug-a-Bug Updated 10 Jan 2010 , 7:08am by dandelion56602

cakeroach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeroach Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 12:25am
post #31 of 79

I used to do all that paper towel and paint roller and heating a spatuala up in hot water crap. I now ONLY use my white plastic scraper (50 cents from DecoPac) and my yellow thermo scraper ($1.00 from Bakery Crafts) and a turntable. I put the icing on, and then give the cake a spin around with each of these scrapers, and my cakes are smooth as glass. I can ice a cake in about 1-2 minutes depending on the size.

Tee-Y Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tee-Y Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 1:09am
post #32 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeroach

I used to do all that paper towel and paint roller and heating a spatula up in hot water crap.

Because your own method suits you doesn't make other methods ''CRAP''!!!!Each to his own!

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 1:29am
post #33 of 79

Mmmmm, I wouldn't give up my hot water and spatula for anything. icon_smile.gif

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 1:44am
post #34 of 79

Oh I think there are many ways to achieve smooth bc. I think Toneda and Sugar Shack prove that! I just tried the roller thingy and was amazed how well it worked. WHatever works for each person is whats best!

Kandy4283 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kandy4283 Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 1:46am
post #35 of 79

I agree, i use viva and a roller and i love it! my cakes are pretty smooth, i should say, smooth enough to satisfy and my customers!

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 1:50am
post #36 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

Oh I think there are many ways to achieve smooth bc. I think Toneda and Sugar Shack prove that! I just tried the roller thingy and was amazed how well it worked. WHatever works for each person is whats best!

Ya got that right! Those gals are amazing.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 5:10am
post #37 of 79

I watched sugarshack bc a cake using the hot bench scraper, and it looks amazing. I am going to try doing it that way, but until I can learn (if possible) I will use roller hehe

janeoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janeoxo Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 7:40am
post #38 of 79

Thanks for the weight guys

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 11:26am
post #39 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

I agree with you! The only real way to get smooth buttercream is the one that works for you!

cakeroach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeroach Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 2:52pm
post #40 of 79

Wow, Tee-Y, quite touchy!

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 3:18pm
post #41 of 79

I work in a commercial bakery. I remember my first day of work bringing in some viva! I'm glad they didn't see it or would've probably looked at me like I had 3 heads.

I learned real quick "their" way...which I have inturn, brought home for my hobby baking also. Sorta like Jeff's method, but I spray the cake with alot of water while I'm spinning it...and I don't wipe off my spatula. I take it out of piping hot water and go straight to the cake. It must GLIDE constantly. If there is ever a tug, then I respray or rewet spatula. When I'm all done, I tilt the cake and let the excess water drip onto the counter.

Buttercream can be flawless! I've only been decorating for a year, but a couple weeks and what seemed like a couple hundered cakes at the bakery got me good and quick. Good luck. Whatever works for you.........do it! Any method will take time in perfecting. Heck, it took me weeks to figure out what height of turntable and spatulas worked for me.

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 5:15pm
post #42 of 79

Jeff your cakes are beautiful! Thanks for sharing your recipe. As far as the hot whipping cream would that be the same thing as Cool Whip or the cartons you buy at the store that say heavy cream?

ddaigle Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 5:31pm
post #43 of 79

Jeff...can you explain the faux fondant buttercream technique you used for Mel & Marg's cake?

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 5:32pm
post #44 of 79

Wow, ddaigle, your buttercream is super smooth! I can't wait to try my hot scraper and spray bottle. So you don't smooth with anything after you use your scraper? Thanks for all the tips; I haven't heard these ones! thumbs_up.gif

ddaigle Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 5:38pm
post #45 of 79

I use the bench scraper like Edna does to get the excess icing off and to get the boxed effect (if a square cake) or just even sides and top of a round or square cake. I only use the bench scraper to take off excess icing. I then move on to the spray bottle and wet HOT spatula. I haven't seen Sugar Shack's video so I'm not sure of her technique. I've only seen Edna's youtube.

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 5:42pm
post #46 of 79

Jeff and ddaigle -

Would you mind sharing your buttercream recipe (if you haven't already)?

I imagine it crusts really well?

ddaigle Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 5:50pm
post #47 of 79

Mine is a crusting, but don't know how well. I use 2 sticks of crisco, 2lb of powdered sugar and 1 cup heavy whipping cream. The rest is my extracts. I have used tons of different icings and still get the smoothness including cream cheese and bettercream. In my opinion, it is technique...not recipe. However, I do understand some techiques (viva, roller) will not work with all icings.

Darthburn Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 5:54pm
post #48 of 79

Much appreciated. I can absolutely agree with you about technique being the key, but at the same time... if the buttercream I make tends to have maybe more shortening in it or something, I didn't know if that might cause it to not react as well to the hot knife. Just a thought. Cover them bases. icon_smile.gif

Jeff_Arnett Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 6:55pm
post #49 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriMc

Jeff your cakes are beautiful! Thanks for sharing your recipe. As far as the hot whipping cream would that be the same thing as Cool Whip or the cartons you buy at the store that say heavy cream?

It's the heavy whipping cream in the cartons.

Jeff_Arnett Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 7:00pm
post #50 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthburn

Jeff and ddaigle -

Would you mind sharing your buttercream recipe (if you haven't already)?

I imagine it crusts really well?

Mine doesn't crust but just a bit and that's after being in the cooler overnight.

Jeff's Icing

2 sticks butter at room temp
1 cup vegetable shortening
2 pounds powdered sugar
1-2 tablespoons vanilla
1-2 tablespoons hot whipping cream as needed to thin

Thoroughly combine butter and shortening. Add vanilla.
Add sugar all at one time and mix on slow speed until smooth....it will be very dry at first but will come together in a few minutes.
Add the hot cream as needed to reach desired consistency.

When I am ready to use, I rebeat a portion in a SUNBEAM MIXMASTER TWO BEATER STAND MIXER on LOWEST SPEED until smooth as silk. If icing has been made a day or so ahead, an addition tablespoon or so of hot whipping cream may be needed to reach a good spreading consistency.

LoriMc Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 7:00pm
post #51 of 79

Thanks Jeff!

Darthburn Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 7:18pm
post #52 of 79

Thank you Jeff!

And thank you ddaigle!

Very helpful information!

LoriMc Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 7:47pm
post #53 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

my tips for flawess BC:

use an icing with very little air in it... see here how i make it:

make it as stiff as you can work with for sharp edges

put on a lot then take off excess

hot bench scraper

practice!

I just watched sugarshack's video and I noticed she doesn't sift her powdered sugar. If I did that I would have lumps of sugar. Do you think it is because there is so much liquid in her recipe?

Jeff_Arnett Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 7:51pm
post #54 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriMc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

my tips for flawess BC:

use an icing with very little air in it... see here how i make it:

make it as stiff as you can work with for sharp edges

put on a lot then take off excess

hot bench scraper

practice!

I just watched sugarshack's video and I noticed she doesn't sift her powdered sugar. If I did that I would have lumps of sugar. Do you think it is because there is so much liquid in her recipe?

I don't sift mine either.

LoriMc Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 8:32pm
post #55 of 79

I'm completely shocked! I buy those huge 7lb bags of powdered sugar from Costco. I was in a hurry once making royal icing and didn't sift. It was a nightmare! I had a hard time getting the icing through the really small tips.

Maybe it differs with the brand you buy. I suppose some are presifted and some are not.

I would LOOOOOVE to not sift sugar!

Darthburn Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 8:56pm
post #56 of 79

I don't sift mine. Do you have a lot of humidity or is it in a moist area that might encourage it to clump?

LoriMc Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 9:06pm
post #57 of 79

Well I am in the south, but that actually happened to me the week before Christmas. Humidity isn't that bad after October.

Maybe I will throw caution to the wind and try it with buttercream. You just don't know how happy it would make me to not sift pounds and pounds of sugar!

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 10:14pm
post #58 of 79

I use to sift mine until I started using Sharon's recipe & haven't sifted in a little over 2 yrs now

LoriMc Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 10:35pm
post #59 of 79

I'm gonna make a small batch of buttercream without sifting and see what happens. I'll let you know....

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 5 Jan 2010 , 11:08pm
post #60 of 79

i make sugarshack's bc and never, ever sift.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%