Please Tell Me The Best Rolling Pin For Fondant>>>

Decorating By andpotts Updated 23 Jan 2010 , 6:24am by madgeowens

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 7:33am
post #1 of 25

Hi, I am just to get myself set up to move into the world of Fondant (still scared). I had a PVC pipe on my list, as that was mentioned in a few post for rolling fondant, but I have now watched Sugarshack's Fondant DVD a few times and I don't think I will be able to use a PVC pipe to get the pressure on top of it the way it looks like will be nescessary.

So Please tell me what rolling pins all of you Fondant pros recommend, especially for a beginner Fondantketeer? Thank You! Andrea

24 replies
Pinki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pinki Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 7:37am
post #2 of 25

Well, I am a newbie and have only done fondent on a few cakes so far. The first two I used a wooden rolling pin and a plastic one. I had difficulty until I got the large Wilton fondent roller. I love it and it has worked great for me.

Beckup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckup Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 8:03am
post #3 of 25

Do not...I repeat Do Not buy one of those yellow (golden yellow) ones from Wilton. My hubby thought he was doing good buying me one. I broke it the 3rd time I rolled fondant with it. It can't handle that much pressure. I use a combination of a PVC pipe and a large wooden rolling pin I bought at a restaurant supply store. HTH.

Pinki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pinki Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 8:11am
post #4 of 25

The one I have from Wilton that I really like is not the yellow one. I agree with Beckup that the yellow one is not the one to get. The one I have is white and does not have any handles. You can buy sizing rings to go with it so you can make your fondent a certain width when you roll it (ie 1/16", 1/8"). I can use as much pressure as I need to with it.

KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 9:30am
post #5 of 25

I really like my Wilton white 20" fondant roller too! I goes much faster than my regular rolling pin, and it's dishwasherable and is heavy for its size, so you don't need to press much on it. The fondand roller is $19.99 usually, but you can usually find a 40% off coupon at most craft stores to make the cost go down. I highly recommend it.
I just ordered the roller attachment for my KA, and I'm excited to try it out with the smaller things needed for my cakes. =) I hope it's worth the investment!

I hope you find something that works well for you!

P.S. It tastes nasty, but I found working with Wiltons fondant first, helped me to know the consistency the fondant should be and how it generally works. Make sure to soften it well in your hands before rolling it, so it won't crack. All fondant likes TLC. =)

Good luck!

didavista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didavista Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 11:21am
post #6 of 25

I too like my big wilton rolling pin. thumbs_up.gif

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 1:43pm
post #7 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by KateLS

I really like my Wilton white 20" fondant roller too! I goes much faster than my regular rolling pin, and it's dishwasherable and is heavy for its size, so you don't need to press much on it. The fondand roller is $19.99 usually, but you can usually find a 40% off coupon at most craft stores to make the cost go down. I highly recommend it.
I just ordered the roller attachment for my KA, and I'm excited to try it out with the smaller things needed for my cakes. =) I hope it's worth the investment!

I hope you find something that works well for you!

P.S. It tastes nasty, but I found working with Wiltons fondant first, helped me to know the consistency the fondant should be and how it generally works. Make sure to soften it well in your hands before rolling it, so it won't crack. All fondant likes TLC. =) I like the 20 " one also but it does come down to personal preference I still drag out my "OLD" wooden rolling pin that belonged to my Grandmother, unfortunately it only works as a starter too may divots and dings for a smooth finish.That old pin has seen a lot of pastry dough, Grandma was a pastry cook for her brother restaurant.

Good luck!

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 2:21pm
post #8 of 25

I used to use my marble pastry rolling pin but had to be cautious not to apply too much pressure. I was concerned for the wooden handles, and it really was too small. I bought the Wilton one and still wasn't thrilled.
After purchasing Sharon's fondant video I saw the relative ease with which she rolled her fondant.
She uses a large aluminum one, (it must be about 3" diameter). I ordered it on line from the company she recommended on the insert found with the video. It was expensive but so worth it. It isn't so heavy that it is difficult to heft, but I can really apply the pressure and it is extra long so there isn't much of a problem with unwanted ridges. It wipes up easily and is very durable.
To me it has really proven its worth.

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 12:33am
post #9 of 25

I've also found it helps if you stand on a stool while you are rolling it out.

lngo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lngo Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 12:55am
post #10 of 25

I got an aluminum 18" from Sams Club. It's heavy so it applies good, even pressure. I actually found out about it on CC.

I love this one because I like the idea of handles. It makes it a lot easier for me to grip and roll. It is big so cleaning can be somewhat cumbersome, but when I need to cover a cake in fondant, I loooooove having it around.

lngo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lngo Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 1:02am
post #11 of 25

Actually, here's the post that convinced me to make my rolling pin purchase. There are a lot of opinions, so this should help guide your decision:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=628074&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=sams&&start=0

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 1:17am
post #12 of 25

Hot diggety Sharon! That is exactly the one I was refering to. (I am babysitting my grandchildren this week and didn't have access to my stuff to check the maker.) I am so glad you turned me on to it. I positively love mine and although I could ill afford it when I purchased it, it has so been worth the money. I love the free action of the handles, the diameter, the weight, and just about everything. It must sound silly to rhapsodize over a rolling pin, of all things. Only a fellow caker would understand. And yes, I too have to stand on a stool for I am very vertically challenged.

Edited to add: I just realized, when reading over this post, that I was referring to Sharon Zambito's post in the above link.

andpotts Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 1:41am
post #13 of 25

Thank you, thank you, thank you, you all are so incredibly helpful (of course you know that) icon_smile.gif I really appreciate you taking the time to post. I knew there had to be a thread about this somewhere, but my searching failed me, thanks so much lngo! I do have Sharon (Sugarshacks) Fondant DVD and I love the pin she used, just wanted to see what everyone else has been doing.

I use a french pin with my Doboard for cookies, but the fondant beast looks like I will need handles to get on it properly. Anyhow just musing now, of course I will probably end up "needing" the most costly one because it seems this hobby is a never ending shopping spree for me. Thanks again everyone!! thumbs_up.gif

jakenheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jakenheather Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 1:58am
post #14 of 25

My large solid white fondant roller from Wilton has warped and its difficult to get a smooth finish because it rolls it unevenly. So now I am shopping for one too. My husband wants me to get a machine... yeah right.

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 2:31am
post #15 of 25

I am still pretty new to fondant (I started working with it less than a year ago) but I love to use my silicone rolling pin with steel handles from Williams-Sonoma. Its heavier than the average rolling pin so you don't need to put as much muscle into rolling out fondant, doughs...etc. With it being silicone, its virtually nonstick so I love it. icon_biggrin.gif

I also have the long white rolling pin from Wilton. Its serves its purpose but I think it pales in comparison to the silicone one.

Cristi-Tutty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cristi-Tutty Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 4:24am
post #16 of 25

thanks for posting this I need one too...I have the one from wilton and it is the worst thing I had ever bought....

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 4:42am
post #17 of 25

i have a marble rolling pin too. i just tried it on fondant yesterday and it worked well. i agree, it's not long enough, but i was only covering an 8" round. it's super heavy, which actually helped apply pressure so i didn't have to roll so hard. it's super smooth too. i was told it's good for rolling cookies because the marble stays cold.

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 4:54am
post #18 of 25

I LOVE my Sil-pin. It's got handles, is heavy, rolls super-smoothly and nothing sticks to it. I've tried wooden without handles, PVC pipe, wooden with handles,just about everything else, but they all faded away when I got my Sil-pin

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 4:54am
post #19 of 25

I have the one from Sam's as well! LOVE IT!! The price is unbeatable and it's way heavier and BIGGER than it looks online!!

andpotts Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 5:52am
post #20 of 25

Seriously, such good info everyone! I think I'm going to see if my in-laws will order the one from Sam's for me, since we live in WA I have Costco membership, but not Sam's! Thank you!

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 8:10pm
post #21 of 25

Love my 18/3 aluminum rollinf pi n I got at instawares. Really good price too.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 2 Jan 2010 , 8:15pm
post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarandslice

I LOVE my Sil-pin. It's got handles, is heavy, rolls super-smoothly and nothing sticks to it. I've tried wooden without handles, PVC pipe, wooden with handles,just about everything else, but they all faded away when I got my Sil-pin

Me too...I have the big white Wilton pin and I use it to pick up the fondant to drop it over the cake, but the only thing I'll roll it out with is the Sil-pin. I got my Sil-pin at Ross for $22 but I've never seen another one there. Still, it would have been worth paying regular price for...it's that good.

Lee15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lee15 Posted 4 Jan 2010 , 6:42pm
post #23 of 25

Click on the link with Sharon's post - the rolling pins are only $38.10 each today.

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 5:51am
post #24 of 25

Just got my shiny new aluminum one from Amazon today. Don't know if I'll love it, I'm very hard to please ,you should see my rolling pin collection! (was even worse with strollers when my son was a baby, just couldn't find the perfect one for all my needs) So after I make another wad of fondant and give it a test roll I'll let everyone know if I love it or if the search continues...

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 23 Jan 2010 , 6:24am
post #25 of 25

I just got a marble one and it makes rolling mmf so much easier I could cry hahah

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%