...sounds Stupid..but How Do I...

Decorating By mcmurray20 Updated 30 Dec 2009 , 2:21pm by KHalstead

mcmurray20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcmurray20 Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 7:29pm
post #1 of 9

use an impression mat? lol i have to do a wedding cake they want the diamond design so im looking at a 1" diamond impression mat.. she wants buttercream not fondant... soooo i dont know how to use that? wont pressing it up against the side mess up the pattern? and ive heard the talk of rolled buttercream.. would that be the only way to use it? to use rolled butter cream to get the impression and then just place it on the cake? how would i smooth it? im so confused.. ANYONE PLEASE HELP!!! i want this cake to be perfect its my first PAYING wedding cake!! thanks!

8 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 7:39pm
post #2 of 9

it can definitely be done with buttercream, I do it all the time. Your impression mat needs to be clean and completely dry! Your buttercream needs to be well crusted and then you just literally push it into the icing, leaving an impression.

When I first got mine I thought "surely it will stick" so I dusted it really well with powdered sugar and then impressed it onto the cake and then used my airbrush (with nothing in it) to blow off the excess powdered sugar and it worked really well too. One time I finally got the nerve to try it without the powdered sugar and lo and behold...NO STICKING!!
LL
LL
LL

mcmurray20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcmurray20 Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 7:52pm
post #3 of 9

WOW those are beautiful cakes, thanks for answering my question, and i cant believe its that easy.. regular buttercream or rolled buttercream? or both? which one crusts? does it need to crsut over? like maybe sit out over night or something ? how long b4 u press the mat on it? and by the way i posted another question on a different area on the forum, and u can answer my question real quick lol is that actual fabric ribbon on ur cakes or is there a cake to make ribbon look real and edible? thanks soo much im so excited to try and make a cake like this yours is awesome!!!

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 9:34pm
post #4 of 9

It works with regular BC, which should crust, I have also done it many times. You can use fabric ribbon or use a rolled fondant, I have also done both. If you use fabric, just "grease" it with cooking spray or something ahead of time, so you don't get grease spots that look uneven on the ribbon. icon_smile.gif

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 29 Dec 2009 , 9:42pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerri729

It works with regular BC, which should crust, I have also done it many times. You can use fabric ribbon or use a rolled fondant, I have also done both. If you use fabric, just "grease" it with cooking spray or something ahead of time, so you don't get grease spots that look uneven on the ribbon. icon_smile.gif

Now there's something I didn't know and never would have thought of! Does that go for fondant as well, or only when using real ribbon on BC?

I LOVE this site...literally learn something new everyday!!!

KHalstead Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 12:49pm
post #6 of 9

I used real ribbon on those cakes posted above! And all of those were done with regular crusting buttercream. I didn't have to let it sit overnight, just let them sit an hour or so.

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 1:25pm
post #7 of 9

I too have a cake coming up using the diamond impression mat. The tier with the impression is going to be a 14". Should I start the impression in the middle on each side. Is it going to look funny where the diamonds meet at the corners?

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 1:58pm
post #8 of 9

You guys got great answers, from all the responses you got, but you should invest in Sugarshack's and Jennifer dontz's dvd's they are a wealth of learning in them, they both have different techiniques but very informative. I bought all of their dvd's www.Sugaredproductions.com That's Sugarshack's.( Sharon)
www.Sugardelites.com that's Jen's You will be very happy that you invest in them. and you can ask them any Questions and they are very helpful, they are both members here.

Edited to add: I am not affiliated with them, I am just a Happy Customer, I think we should all help each other out, as sugar friends.

KHalstead Posted 30 Dec 2009 , 2:21pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheilabelle

I too have a cake coming up using the diamond . The tier with the impression is going to be a 14". Should I start the impression in the middle on each side. Is it going to look funny where the diamonds meet at the corners?

I'm assuming you're talking about a 14" square cake??

here is a kitchen cake I did that went with the black and white wedding cake. Now keep in mind there is no ribbon (because it was just for extra servings) and the icing and such isn't perfect (again because nobody would see it in one piece except the people cutting it)

I just started on one side and continued until it ended, turned the cake and started at the next corner. At least this will give you an idea of how it looks to just start at one side and let it drop off wherever it will...so you can decide if you like it or not!
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%