Lets Share Mold Ideas!!!!

Decorating By littlecake Updated 23 Jun 2010 , 5:46am by MessMaker

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 8:33pm
post #1 of 45

i went to the dollar store and found a bunch of stuff to make into molds!

i found some cute teddy bear figurines...dressed in different occupations...a baker, hunter. police etc.

then i found a little tv...some fairies...

and then i started thinking i might take my sons broken x box controller...and make a mold...to stick on a cake to make it look like an xbox.

i've been using chocolate molds for about a year now...the customers love them...i can't tell you how much they cut down on decorating time.

hobby lobby has some really cool resin magnets.

i was thinking of sculpting some things to mold out of sculpty too....

OK WHO"S NEXT? icon_biggrin.gif

44 replies
MYOM-Dominic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MYOM-Dominic Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 3:12pm
post #2 of 45

[quote="littlecake"]i went to the dollar store and found a bunch of stuff to make into molds!

i found some cute teddy bear figurines...dressed in different occupations...a baker, hunter. police etc.

and then i started thinking i might take my sons broken x box controller...and make a mold...to stick on a cake to make it look like an xbox.

i've been using chocolate molds for about a year now...the customers love them...i can't tell you how much they cut down on decorating time.

OK WHO"S NEXT? icon_biggrin.gif[/quote]

Dear littlecake,

Since I am one of the few individuals qualified to recognize certain symptoms one may exhibit when introduced to mold making, I feel it is my duty to tell you that I think you have contracted a rare and very contagious condition referred to as, "MMM!" This is an acronym for "Mold Making Mania." I must confide that I too am smitten with this contagion and might be responsible for spreading it to you.

Perhaps I can share with you the methods I use to function normally when you are in the presence of others who have not contracted MMM and therefore may not understand or share your enthusiasm when spotting the perfect object to mold.

First of all, you must realize that you can have an episode on any given day during the course of your otherwise normal life. With this understanding of your condition you must take the time to remind yourself that a trip to the toy store to buy your nephew a Christmas present is your top priority. Making this mental note before hand can keep you on track and perhaps enable you to resist the temptation of assessing the fabulous mold making projects that can be made from objects like the elegant high heeled shoes marketed to little girls, or the over sized diamond on the "Barbie Ultra Engagement Ring."

When taking a trip with family to visit relatives, it might be a smart idea to plan a route that avoids all flea markets, swap meets, and antique malls. On Saturdays during the warm months, I suggest you stay on the expressways since there may be a garage or yard sale with tables of vintage jewelry that you will not be able to resist. While you will be missing out on alot of fun being so disciplined, you ultimately will save your loved ones from the ordeal of being dragged through the endless corridors of STUFF and will preserve family peace and unity. I am speaking from experience, here!

Unfortunately, you will not be able to completely abstain from your new found passion. Every once in awhile, it is important to gather with other like minded MMM's and spend the day hunting for mold making treasure. Once you have found your stash of everyday objects that will look great in sugar on a cake, remember that I am here in this forum to help you turn your sugar fantasies in a reality.

Your Friend and Fellow Mold Making Maniac,
Dominic icon_smile.gif

Holiday Tip #1 for all MMM's - While this may sound like common sense, it is important to point out that when meeting friends and family during the holiday season, it is not appropriate to grab, fondle and or drool over a pendant or brooch worn by one of your guests or the host of a party you are attending. By all means resist the temptation of asking for the item to be removed and given to you so you can make a mold from it and have it back to them with in the hour. While this request seems absolutely acceptable to us MMM's - you must realize that it will always come off a little strange. It is better to compliment the item and ask where they purchased it so you can obtain it later, make your mold in private and then use it on your next cake where your talents will be admired and you will be thought of as a genius.

MYOM-Dominic Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 3:13pm
post #3 of 45

[quote="littlecake"]i went to the dollar store and found a bunch of stuff to make into molds!

Dear littlecake,

Since I am one of the few individuals qualified to recognize certain symptoms one may exhibit when introduced to mold making, I feel it is my duty to tell you that I think you have contracted a rare and very contagious condition referred to as, "MMM!" This is an acronym for "Mold Making Mania." I must confide that I too am smitten with this contagion and might be responsible for spreading it to you.

Perhaps I can share with you the methods I use to function normally when you are in the presence of others who have not contracted MMM and therefore may not understand or share your enthusiasm when spotting the perfect object to mold.

First of all, you must realize that you can have an episode on any given day during the course of your otherwise normal life. With this understanding of your condition you must take the time to remind yourself that a trip to the toy store to buy your nephew a Christmas present is your top priority. Making this mental note before hand can keep you on track and perhaps enable you to resist the temptation of assessing the fabulous mold making projects that can be made from objects like the elegant high heeled shoes marketed to little girls, or the over sized diamond on the "Barbie Ultra Engagement Ring."

When taking a trip with family to visit relatives, it might be a smart idea to plan a route that avoids all flea markets, swap meets, and antique malls. On Saturdays during the warm months, I suggest you stay on the expressways since there may be a garage or yard sale with tables of vintage jewelry that you will not be able to resist. While you will be missing out on alot of fun being so disciplined, you ultimately will save your loved ones from the ordeal of being dragged through the endless corridors of STUFF and will preserve family peace and unity. I am speaking from experience, here!

Unfortunately, you will not be able to completely abstain from your new found passion. Every once in awhile, it is important to gather with other like minded MMM's and spend the day hunting for mold making treasure. Once you have found your stash of everyday objects that will look great in sugar on a cake, remember that I am here in this forum to help you turn your sugar fantasies in a reality.

Dominic icon_smile.gif

Holiday Tip #1 for all MMM's - While this may sound like common sense, it is important to point out that when meeting friends and family during the holiday season, it is not appropriate to grab, fondle and or drool over a pendant or brooch worn by one of your guests or the host of a party you are attending. By all means resist the temptation of asking for the item to be removed and given to you so you can make a mold from it and have it back to them with in the hour. While this request seems absolutely acceptable to us MMM's - you must realize that it will always come off a little strange. It is better to compliment the item and ask where they purchased it so you can obtain it later, make your mold in private and then use it on your next cake where your talents will be admired and you will be thought of as a genius.

MYOM-Dominic Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 3:24pm
post #4 of 45

Dear littlecake,

Dominic icon_smile.gif

MYOM-Dominic Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 2:59pm
post #5 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecake

i went to the dollar store and found a bunch of stuff to make into molds!

OK WHO"S NEXT? icon_biggrin.gif

Dear littlecake,

Dominic icon_smile.gif

ruthi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruthi Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 3:55pm
post #6 of 45

LOL - too true....and there is a secondary, invasive and underlying condition that usually accompanies MMM - cake design mania (CDM) whereby an individual afflicted will see a potential cake design idea in just about EVERYTHING they see....no more buying a card for someone, or that magazine to read, or that object as a gift...everything is bought, purchased or borrowed with the intention of incorporating it into a cake design...it's like the recipe book phenomena or the craft magazine dilemma...you just can't have too many of them even when most will sit in dust unused, there is always another to tempt you into acquiring it. I can no longer go through my day like any normal person, everything I encounter is viewed either obviously or subliminally as "can I make a cake design out of that????" and so goes the mold making mania - double whammy. Thank goodness for cake central, at least we all have a support group!

ruthi Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 4:01pm
post #7 of 45

One more thing that all readers should be cautious of - as I have experienced it myself...the "disorder" can be contagious...my experience:

I hadn't seen my sister in a few months, and even though she knew I had gotten into cookie and cake decorating she was "untouched"!...I decided to make her a birthday cake to take on my visit up north to see her; I made a two tiered cake with gumpaste flowers...she loved it! Next thing I know, she has taken a couple of cake decorating classes, and we are planning trips together to cake shows and classes and without a doubt I have unintentionally created a CAKE MONSTER....okay, a fellow cake monster! The addiction is spreading...............

MYOM-Dominic Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 4:37pm
post #8 of 45

As long as we are confessing here, I have a story I will never forget. It was the first time I attended the Oklahoma Sugar Art Show as a sponsor and I had the pleasure of meeting the delightful Ms. Eileen Walker. She is the founder of Creative Sugar Art which markets and distributes Luster Dusting Powders.

Anyway, she was fascinated with mold making techniques and spent quite some time at my table. Eileen likes to wear brooches and clips and that day she was wearing a pretty little ginkgo lizard or something like that and I mentioned that it would make a great mold. Without hesitation, she unfastened it and gave it to me and I proceeded to cover that baby with copious amounts of silicone plastique. I am not sure about this, but I think I gave it to her wrapped up and told her to let it cure and then remove the mold later on in the day. Well, the next day, Eileen brings it back to me and asked me to unmold it for her. I happily obliged and as I was peeling off the silicone, I noticed that I had inadvertently amputated a limb or two from her ginkgo pin. Moments later, Eileen was standing there starring at me in surprise with a ginkgo mold in one hand and what looked like golden road kill in the other. To this day, she never lets me forget this fiasco.

Whew, I feel alot better getting that off my chest.

Dominic - The Grand Poobah of MMM's icon_smile.gif

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 4:48pm
post #9 of 45

Can I ask...what are you using to create your molds, and is it expensive? I've been wanting to try to make one, as I'm currently in love with lace molds! But I wasn't really sure which products work best, and if they're cost effective. Thanks in advance!

kse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kse Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 4:55pm
post #10 of 45

I'm so glad others have MMM and CDM. People always say, "Why are you staring at that?" I just answer, "Oh, I'm thinking of making a cake out of it." I might loose friends this way!!! Glad we have a support system in hand.

ruthi Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 4:59pm
post #11 of 45

OMG - its like deja vu hearing that....whenever I stare off into space or "space out" my kids or husband automatically say, "she thinking about a cake again!" icon_smile.gif I can't help myself....and to think I spread the disease to my sister LOL......

MYOM-Dominic Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 5:04pm
post #12 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by greengyrl26

Can I ask...what are you using to create your molds, and is it expensive? I've been wanting to try to make one, as I'm currently in love with lace molds! But I wasn't really sure which products work best, and if they're cost effective. Thanks in advance!

Hi Greengyrl26,

How To Make A Lace Mold - - Glad You Asked. How about if I give this link which will take you to a free, step by step video on how to make a lace mold. I promise, it will answer all your questions.

Go To: http://www.makeyourownmolds.com/how-to-lace-mold

Dominic icon_smile.gif

kkitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkitchen Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 5:37pm
post #13 of 45

Hi Dominic!
Hi Everyone .....
Merry Christmas ... icon_smile.gif

Dominic - I want to ask you, I am so interested in that MYM thing. What I want to know, is when I want to invert a shape how do I do it?
I do not know if you understand what I mean?

Thanks

MYOM-Dominic Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 5:57pm
post #14 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkitchen

Hi Dominic!
Hi Everyone .....
Merry Christmas ... icon_smile.gif

Dominic - I want to ask you, I am so interested in that MYM thing. What I want to know, is when I want to invert a shape how do I do it?
I do not know if you understand what I mean?

Thanks

kkitchen, I think you want to know how to make a positive from a negative. Let me explain - A mold is usually called a negative (inzy) and what comes out of the mold is called a positive (outzy). Do you want to know how to make a rubber positive from a negative?

Dominic icon_smile.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 6:10pm
post #15 of 45

dominic's video on how to make a lace mold.. and all others is great. i studied it very carefully.. took notes.. and then made my first mold.. like he taught it.. my next one will be even better.. i couldn, t find lace applique. so i used paper doily heart.. went right by his directions . and it turned out great.. hth

cheeseball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeseball Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 6:22pm
post #16 of 45

Yes, please! I thought I read that the Silicone Plastique would bond to itself if I tried to make a reverse mold. Sure would be great if that's bogus!

MYOM-Kathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MYOM-Kathy Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 6:40pm
post #17 of 45

Hi, This is Kathy. I work with Dominic and may have run into you at one of the shows we attended. Dominic is knee-hi in chocolate right now making sculptures for one of the major cruise lines. I will be sure he answers all of your questions as soon as he is finished.

Thanks,
Kathy

ruthi Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 6:40pm
post #18 of 45

I have been studying the tutorials on your website on how to make the molds...it explains how to make a two-part mold but not what materials to use to make the sides - are you using metal sheets, acrylique sheets to make the sides of the box that surrounds the actual mold components? And what do you use to make the alignment keys? What and where can one get these materials, as I see that you don't sell this, just the actual compounds that make the molds, etc.

MYOM-Dominic Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 9:12pm
post #19 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeseball

Yes, please! I thought I read that the Silicone Plastique would bond to itself if I tried to make a reverse mold. Sure would be great if that's bogus!

Hi Cheeseball (love the name) - You can make a reverse silicone mold by applying Release-Dit uniformly to lightly coat the inside of your mold. Then add more silicone into the mold cavity until it is filled. Allaow the new silicone to cure right in the mold. Once cured, you will be able to remove the new silicone from the old without any bonding issues.

Yes, silicone will bond to silicone and that is one of the resons I invented Release-Dit.

Hope This Helps,

Dominic icon_smile.gif

cheeseball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeseball Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 10:33pm
post #20 of 45

Thanks, Dominic...so I can make double sided veiners! I'll order it...and I suppose there's no point pretending that I won't order another batch of Silicone Plastique at the same time "since I'm already on the site icon_rolleyes.gif" icon_lol.gif

MYOM-Dominic Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 11:23pm
post #21 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthi

I have been studying the tutorials on your website on how to make the molds...it explains how to make a two-part mold but not what materials to use to make the sides - are you using metal sheets, acrylique sheets to make the sides of the box that surrounds the actual mold components? And what do you use to make the alignment keys? What and where can one get these materials, as I see that you don't sell this, just the actual compounds that make the molds, etc.

Hi Ruthi , The sides in the tutorials are called "Adjusta Molds." I am currently sold out but will have more after the holidays. The alignment keys are made with acrylic cabochons. You can use nuts or the tops of bolts or use your ball tool and impress a half circle in the safe-d-clay - it all works. I am coming out with a new video on two part molds after the holidays and you will be able to see this method.

Dominic icon_smile.gif

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 12:34am
post #22 of 45

Dominic you guys should film a dvd with differant technics on mold making.

I would buy it in a heartbeat and I'm sure plenty of other people would too. icon_smile.gif

MYOM-Dominic Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 4:37am
post #23 of 45

I would have to make a 24 hour dvd to cover all the possibilities. Instead, my plans are to take individual topics and make in depth instructional videos about it. These videos will appear on my website and are available for free. My first video on how to make a lace mold in already there and I am filming "How To Make A Sugar Bottle Mold" in the coming weeks. Stay tuned! I would also love to hear your preferences on topics you would like me to cover in the coming months.

Dominic icon_smile.gif

MYOM-Dominic Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 5:30am
post #24 of 45

Check out my free videos at: http://www.makeyourownmolds.com/videos

I am filming another video right now and hope to add it soon "How To make A Sugar Bottle Mold"

Dominic icon_smile.gif

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 3:06am
post #25 of 45

I know how to make a bottle mold,but I cant wait to see your videos. I would really like to know how to make a 2 part mold, like making a mold for a gumpaste shoe heel

MYOM-Dominic Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 2:24pm
post #26 of 45

Hi kayla1505,

I was just wondering if you had a chance to check out the two part tutorial Marzipandoll and I did together. Go to http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-664296.html

I think you will find it helpful. She did a great job.

Dominic icon_smile.gif

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 9:14am
post #27 of 45

hello;

Have no idea if you can help, but have you any idea how to make your own petal and leaf veiners.. they are really a mould i suppose? haha sorry, im so keen to try these things out, tried tracking supplies down EVERYWHERE and having no luck.. so then i thought.. ill make my own.. but how on earth do i do that? oh geez. my brain needs to turn off...haha. im in australia if that counts for anything...

You girls in america dont know how lucky youve got it to have supplies so close by!!! Spent the day today attempting to track down a whole list of supplies.. haha got a few things.. but not everything.

any help would be muuuuuch appreciated! thanks. icon_razz.gif

MYOM-Dominic Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 8:41pm
post #28 of 45

Dominic Wrote: Hi noahsmummy. Because it may take some time to complete the photography and layout necessary for a photo series, I want to give you a written step by step on how to make a two sided leaf veiner (mold).

1. Find a leaf you want to make a mold of. It can be a real leaf or a good quality silk version. If the leaf is dry, apply Seal-Dit to both sides and then wipe it off just so the leaf is shiny. Apply Seal-Dit to silk leaves also. Fresh green leaves do not need seal dit unless it has slot of little hairs as some leaves do.

2. Roll out Safe-D-Clay about 1/8 inch thick. Place the leaf on the Safe-D-Clay so that the bottom of the leaf is facing up and the top side of the leaf is facing down and in contact with the clay. The back side of a leaf has the best venation and will make a better impression in the silicone and that is why we want it to face up.

3. Take a needle tool or shish kabob skewer and, using the leaf as a template, trace around the leaf through the clay. This can be done with several passes so that eventually you have cut through the clay all the way around the leaf. Lift and remove the clay on the outside of the leaf.

4. You now have a leaf that has been thickened with safety clay. Apply Silicone Plastique to the top and sides of your thickened leaf and allow to cure for about an hour to an hour and a half.

5. When your mold is fully cured, remove the clay and leaf from the inside of your mold. You now have the first half of your two sided mold.

6. Take Release-Dit and apply with a natural bristle brush lightly but thoroughly on the inside of your new mold. Make sure you do not leave a guncky slick of Release-Dit on the inside of your mold. It should just have a nice shine to it.

7. Take more Silicone Plastique and apply to the inside of your mold until it is filled level. Always make sure you work the Silicone Plastique into the details first and then add more until the mold is filled level. Don't worry about time, Slilicone Plastique gives you time to perform this delicate work and does not cure in a few minutes like the materials bought in craft stores.

8. Allow the Silicone Plastique to cure once again for about an hour to an hour and a half.

9. Once cured, you will be able to remove the second side of your leaf mold from the first because the Release-Dit prevents the silicone from bonding with itself. The beautiful detail that you copied from the back side of the leaf will be captured in both sides of the mold you just made. If you want to make the first side a veiner and not a mold, simply cut the sides off with a scissors and now you will have a two sided veiner.

Hope this helps! If you have questions, please post them. I will be watching for them and will try to answer without delay.

Dominic icon_smile.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 8:55pm
post #29 of 45

dominic.. make more that one dvd.. ever how many you make.. we would all buy them... then you could retire at a young age.. ha! can,t wait to see the bottle video.. thank you for all your time on this site and your site..

MYOM-Dominic Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 9:09pm
post #30 of 45

Hi icer101,

Retiring at a young age would be terrific. Unfortunately, I have this strange preference to give the information freely. Quircky I know - but I just have to accept the way I like to do things. "Give And You Shall Receive" right?

And - - - - "How To Make A Sugar Bottle" is waiting for you - That's Right - I uploaded it yesterday!

Go To: http://www.makeyourownmolds.com/how-to-sugar-bottle-mold

And Icer101 - if you have the time, let me know what you think of it. Making a video is a heck of alot of work and then you send it out not knowing if you did a good job, left stuff out, made it too long and what if it is boring?

Dominic icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%