Snowstorm

Lounge By Mike1394 Updated 23 Dec 2009 , 3:17am by auntmamie

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 12:29pm
post #1 of 39

Good luck Eastcoasters. Hope you all stay safe.

Mike

38 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 1:36pm
post #2 of 39

Thanks Mike! We're expecting 12 to 15" here in Southeastern MA.

It's a good day to stay home and bake Christmas cookies....and I think your eggnog recipe that I made is just about "cooked". We'll probably get into that today too! icon_biggrin.gif

Stay safe everyone!

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 1:58pm
post #3 of 39

We're expecting 20" or so here in Maryland... I think there's already about 7 or 8 inches on the ground outside...

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 3:26pm
post #4 of 39

Thanks! It took me an hour to drive what normally takes 15 minutes last night. And what I never understand is, I'm from California. Never saw it snow until I moved to Germany in my 20's. Virginians have seen AND driven in snow all there lives. In the 9 years I've been here, no car accidents. Virginians are up to 300 accidents of this morning! dunce.gif

elizabeth-jane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizabeth-jane Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 7:07pm
post #5 of 39

It hasn't stopped since I woke up at 7am this morning! No one on my street has even attempted to shovel their sidewalks. We've probably got at least 15 inches now. icon_eek.gif Haven't seen this much snow since 1993!

TheDomesticDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheDomesticDiva Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 11:10pm
post #6 of 39

We've got 22 inches outside right now. Just GORGEOUS!!! It does no good to shovel, it comes right back in a couple hours.

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 11:26pm
post #7 of 39

My husband got to stay at home from work so the kids are excited about that plus (of course) all the snow. We went sledding this morning. It is so beautiful with snow covered trees and streets and definitely adds to the Christmas spirit. we will enjoy it while it lasts (from Alexandria, noVA)

misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 12:49am
post #8 of 39

Its Saturday evening here in coastal NJ and we are getting a beating! There is a ton of snow outside, at least 10 inches as of an hour ago. My dogs are loving it but the rational adults here are upset, I am furious as I had planned on doing my last minute Christmas shopping tonight but can not drive the 10 miles to the mall because of the white mess outside. Hope everyone has a warm night! Happy shoveling!

LaBellaFlor Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 12:51am
post #9 of 39

I feel your pain. I was gonna finish up as well, but seeing as we don't have the best tires and it still hasn't stopped snowing. I'm stuck. icon_smile.gif I am grateful though that there is no hard winds and huge flakes. Everyone's power is still on! icon_biggrin.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 1:04am
post #10 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

Thanks! It took me an hour to drive what normally takes 15 minutes last night. And what I never understand is, I'm from California. Never saw it snow until I moved to Germany in my 20's. Virginians have seen AND driven in snow all there lives. In the 9 years I've been here, no car accidents. Virginians are up to 300 accidents of this morning! dunce.gif

But they really don't know how, it doesn't snow here that often. I think that Charlottesville (1 hour west) gets more snow than Richmond does, but it's usually ice storms that get us, not snow. I've been here for about 11 years and I can only remember one or two good snows that were more than about an inch.

I had two deliveries today, and the worst part was that they don't plow the secondary roads right away, so it was almost impossible to get out of my street. Once I got out, the main road was okay, then when I got up to the major shopping district road it was pretty clear. The highway was fine, so there's definitely a hierarchy of plowing! They just don't have the same equipment they have in the Northeast. When we lived in Boston they'd have the plows all over the place when the first snowflake started to fall.

costumeczar Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 1:04am
post #11 of 39

Also, there are too many idiot drivers here in good weather, so the snow doesn't help them any!

LaBellaFlor Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 1:06am
post #12 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Also, there are too many idiot drivers here in good weather, so the snow doesn't help them any!

LOL!!!! Who you telling!

misserica Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 1:12am
post #13 of 39

Shopping is going to have to get done tomorrow LaBella, no if ands or buts either, its tomorrow or no presents, working doubles Monday to Xmas Eve.

The public works guys have been itching for snow here in NJ. They are especially happy that it happened on Saturday (BIG overtime) and they will be plowing overnight (more BIG overtime).

Costume, the drivers are $hitty without rain or snow here...add any precipitation and forget it. Last night, dry and no snow, on the Garden State Parkway, car in the left lane, I am stuck behind, people behind me getting really pi$$ed, I am boxed in...the speed limit is 65mph, person is doing 48! WTF, that is illegal here! I honestly could have had some serious road rage. My blood pressure was through the sun roof.

costumeczar Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 1:30am
post #14 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by misserica

Costume, the drivers are $hitty without rain or snow here...add any precipitation and forget it. Last night, dry and no snow, on the Garden State Parkway, car in the left lane, I am stuck behind, people behind me getting really pi$$ed, I am boxed in...the speed limit is 65mph, person is doing 48! WTF, that is illegal here! I honestly could have had some serious road rage. My blood pressure was through the sun roof.

But isn't the snow BEEEEOOOOTIFUL? Lol! No, it isn't. icon_mad.gif

misserica Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 1:43am
post #15 of 39

You know when its pretty...when we get a snow day from school. Then we pi$$ and moan in June when they tack on the days the kids have to make up and we have to stay, ha.

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 5:29am
post #16 of 39

The snow looks so pure and innocent, just like my son does when he does trouble and runs away from it. Who, me??

Here in Brooklyn, the garbage trucks were salting and sanding before the first snowflakes hit the ground, but the smaller streets and sidewalks are terrible! Snowball fight scheduled for tomm. morning

Deb_ Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 12:57pm
post #17 of 39

Oh boy.....just woke up and we're BURIED!!!! Looks like we got about 15". Let's post pic's.....after coffee I'll be shoveling! icon_mad.gificon_sad.gifthumbsdown.gif

It's days like this that make me want to retire to the Caribbean icon_rolleyes.gif

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 1:06pm
post #18 of 39

It started snowing here, Roanoke, VA, Friday at 2:30pm. It stopped sometime yesterday morning, about 9am? We have a foot and 1/2" on the cars and other metal objects. On the ground, it's just under a foot.

My kids have never experienced snow like this before. Last year and the year before we had ONE DAY of snow and then it melted.

I grew up in NY so this is nothing for me. I forget what it's like to be surprised at snow. The innocence of children!

elizabeth-jane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizabeth-jane Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 1:19pm
post #19 of 39
Quote:

That may be me you see in good weather, sometimes...

...sorry, my bad, lol icon_razz.gif

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 2:13pm
post #20 of 39

our final total here in Montgomery County, MD is 22.5 inches!!

costumeczar Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 2:14pm
post #21 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth-jane

Quote:

That may be me you see in good weather, sometimes...

...sorry, my bad, lol icon_razz.gif

Ha ha! I noticed that one of the cars that I saw abandoned on the side of the highway and in ditches yesterday had a New Mexico plate on it...You can't blame them for sliding around.

Today the roads are all iced over, that's when the fun driving REALLY starts around here!

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 3:44pm
post #22 of 39

We traveled over 1 hour to get to a hotel with a room after 24 hours without electric, cooking our food outdoors on a charcoal grill and a tree hitting our house (not alot of damage thank God). There was at least 1 1/2 feet of snow when we left and it was coming down fast. I live in the Appalachian Mountain region. Power company says power will be restored by "11 PM on Dec. 25th"

LaBellaFlor Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 4:10pm
post #23 of 39

Oh Juleebug, I'm SO sorry to hear that! Do you have any family near by you can go to?

Deb_ Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 8:51pm
post #24 of 39

Oh no Juleebug.....hopefully it'll be back on long before Christmas.

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 12:29am
post #25 of 39

Thanks LaBella & dkelly - Our whole town is out of power. My family is in the same boat. Closest family with power is in South Carolina. Also, we just found out tonight that there was an apartment complex fire about 1/4 mile from our house and the entire water supply for our area was consumed putting it out. The worst part was we had to leave our pet. Neighbors were going to check in on & feed her but now that we found a pet friendly hotel, we're going back to get her tomorrow.

LaBellaFlor Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 12:41am
post #26 of 39

wow. Is that a definite that you will all be out of power until Christmas? How is your family? Where are there? I'm sorry if I'm prying here. Just a little concerned. I'm really not trying to be nosy.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 2:31am
post #27 of 39

Yes, good luck to everyone!

Some of you know I just moved from Dallas to Denver and during that move, we got stuck in a blizzard while driving a moving van pulling trailer with my car on it, a second car pulling a trailer and then had two kids, two dogs and a cat with us. It was a nightmare! I hope all of you stay warm and keep your power and gas. icon_smile.gif

misserica Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 3:23am
post #28 of 39

We for buried too DKelly! At least 18 inches...we were shoveling and snow blowing, the thing kept getting clogged.

Juleebug, I am sorry to hear you lost power, I hope it gets resolved soon!

just-for-fun, we are Brooklyn transplants who made the hop into Jersey, I named my female lab Brooklyn after our "roots" ha!

LaBellaFlor Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 4:00am
post #29 of 39

LOLOLOLOL!!!! Oooooooo, I know the culture shock and distant from Brooklyn to Jersey is hard! I hope you have an easy transition. icon_lol.gif

misserica Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 4:24am
post #30 of 39

LaBella, its not so bad. We like it out here but somethings you just cant get used to, ha! (ooh...LaBella, I got almost everything on my shopping list done today, one last thing to pick up tomorrow, snow cant stop me)

And let me just say that its so stinkin cold here, this snow is not going to melt anytime soon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%