Christmas Red Fondant

Decorating By crumbcake Updated 15 Dec 2009 , 3:45pm by crumbcake

crumbcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbcake Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 3:55am
post #1 of 14

OMG< how many bottles of Christmas red coloring to I need to get fondant Christmas red? I am more red than the fondant! One batch I started out pure white, it's some orange color, the other batch I heard to put alittle pink in it, still orange! I should have planned ahead and ordered red fondant from Satin Ice. I could use some help tonight if possible.

13 replies
psmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psmith Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 4:03am
post #2 of 14

Oh boy...I've been there with red fondant. I used soooo much food color just trying to get out of pink that it was crazy. I guess your local Joann's or Michael's would be closed by now? My only suggestion since you're short on time would be to get the Wilton red from the craft store. Hopefully you don't need a huge amount. Good luck!

crumbcake Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 4:15am
post #3 of 14

Found som Ameri-Color super red, adding that now, but fondant seems sticky from all the coloring I guess, do I add some confection sugar to it. I won't give up......I can't daughters birthday tomorrow!

sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 11:18am
post #4 of 14

I made my own red mmf yesterday. I started with Wilton's Christmas red...and yes it went to hot pink...then I added No taste red and it became a sort of mauve color..then I added burgundy until I got the color I wanted

See the Santa Claus in my gallery. A little too dark. but hey its red!!!

I had to add alot of each. If you are making your own with mmf you may need to add more powdered sugar as the gel colors have glycerin.

You can get a lighter red by adding a little less burgundy.

hth

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 11:36am
post #5 of 14

i mix no-taste red with red and don't seem to have a problem. of course maybe i'm not colouring as much as you are-i'm going to make some santa cupcakes for my daughter's party on wednesday (here's hoping i don't come into the same issue) oh and i do seem to use half the bottle. the same happens with black for me too-definately add more ps to help with that. and i always say i'm going to wear gloves when i colour dark but i always forget and walk around with moldy looking hands for the next few days lol

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 11:59am
post #6 of 14

Americolor super red and you don't need lots gets you real red

jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 12:44pm
post #7 of 14

if you make your own fondant at home it's best to dilute powdered food coloring into your liquids before adding them to the sugar. For Black and Red which are extremely difficult to make this is the technique I always use. I normally use the CK brand of powdered food coloring and have never had a problem.

Caution: Of you don't dilute your powder into the liquid first you'll get the little lumps of coloring throughout your fondant. Impossible to get rid of. HTH

crumbcake Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 2:48pm
post #8 of 14

I might have to scrap on the day of the B-day! Got the color but now fondant is so sticky and streachy, I added pdwr. sugar and then gum tex (what the heck) as soon as I try to cover cake it sticks together. Lesson learned BUY RED AND BLACK fondant!!!! Maybe I can run down to Michaels and buy several of those small pks. of red. (Mucho Bucks)
DARN.......DARN. But, thanks for your help everyone,

autigger57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
autigger57 Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 5:39pm
post #9 of 14

Best way to acheive red or black is to add color to your liquid mix before adding powdered sugar. Works everytime!

crumbcake Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 8:47pm
post #10 of 14

I buy my fondant, never make it myself, so I guess I could not mix into liquid, but again thanks for feed back.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 9:07pm
post #11 of 14

hi, any time i color fondant red., black or any dark color.. i squirt a lot.. then start working it .. yes, it gets sticky. i lay it on something... wash my hands.. put shortening on my hands again. work some more. lay down again.. wash my hands again.. put shortening on again.. it works great doing this. i never add more powder sugar to it.. whether i am working with a large piece of fondant or g/p or a small peice.. just washing my hands..drying them good. and reapplying shortening.. gets me there. hth it helps me to color it really fast..

rvercher23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvercher23 Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 9:34pm
post #12 of 14

I hate making red and black fondant, so for the handy manny toolbox cake, i did this past weekend, I added the wilton red coloring into my melted marshmallows, and then I finished making the fondant. i think it was almost 1 1/2 jars, maybe a tiny bit more, but not quite too, but the red was perfect. It was so much easier to work with, and I didnt get my hands all red.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 2:59am
post #13 of 14

Just FYI for late nite runs my Walmart carries wilton food coloring...

crumbcake Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 3:45pm
post #14 of 14

Thanks everyone for your help, I scrapped that cake and started over , different colors, since I buy my fondant, I will make sure I always have black and red on hand!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%