Need A "not Real Sweet" Frosting Recipe

Baking By Thanksharla Updated 8 Dec 2009 , 3:39am by MalibuBakinBarbie

Thanksharla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thanksharla Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 10:36pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a birthday cake for my friend's husband. He likes chocolate cake and frosting that isn't real sweet. The only frosting I've ever made is Buttercream from the Wilton cake classes. And to me it's really sweet. So I need a recipe that isn't real sweet. Any suggestions?

5 replies
Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 11:03pm
post #2 of 6

Try indydebi's recipe. I have heard that it's really good and isn't really sweet.
I haven't tried it yet. I like to use warm coffee creamer as the liquid in my frosting and that seems to cut the sweetness.

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 11:24pm
post #3 of 6

Eww! That Wilton class bc is nasty! I personally LOVE Italian meringue butter cream, I'm sure there's a recipe in the recipe section, if you can't find one pm me and I'll send you mine. It's a bit more involved and takes a bit of time to make(about a half hour, more or less) but it is SOOO worth it. It uses a boiled sugar base instead of super sweet and gritty powdered sugar and is so smooth and light and satiny. You can add any flavor and colors too, it even works great under fondant. It's only drawback is hot weather b/c of the high butter content it can get soft or melt. Good luck, hope this helps!

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 1:30am
post #4 of 6

I like Buttercream Dream from here on CC. I don't find it too sweet, but if you do, someone said that they add a few sprinkles of popcorn salt to their buttercream to cut the sweetness. Popcorn salt is a very fine-grained salt sold next to the popcorn in the supermarket.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 3:39am
post #6 of 6

I was going to suggest what JGMB said, Buttercream Dream (from this site). I have used it on several occasions, and each time I make it, someone will comment that they like that "it's not too sweet". I have not had to use the popcorn salt, though. But that's a great tip to know!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%