post #1 of 28

is called to order.

Who's up?
Whatcha workin' on?

27 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 3:38am
post #2 of 28

I'm working on a three tier wedding cake. I thought I'd have been done hours ago. argh.

However, it's been a busy week:
1) 750 chocolate fleur de lis molded and picked up by the customer
2) gingerbread house finished and entered into a gingerbread house contest (pics in thread below)
3) Louisville Cookies made and delivered to the gift shop
4) full house in the B&B
5) We're on a Holiday House Tour this weekend. 3000 people are expected. Not a typo.

candoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candoo Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 3:50am
post #3 of 28

Just a simple (I hope) square 8" 2 layer with a peace sign and some daisies for an 8 yr olds b-day...

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 3:51am
post #4 of 28

wow leah you have done alot! im just starting to do a castle cake for a friends grandaughter first birthday this weekend. i am two-not a typo- haha---days behind starting this cake.
thank god its not due until sunday, but i have so much to do.
im looking for the pics of the gingerbread house you were talking about but cant find them.

Cristi-Tutty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cristi-Tutty Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 3:53am
post #5 of 28

Hello everyone I just finished my MMF and now I have to bake 2 8"cakes...and make buttercream for my son's 1st birthday that is on sunday

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 3:54am
post #6 of 28

Okay - I thought I had a kick-butt weekend until I read leahs!!

Hey - I'm for FNCC - for the first time in several weeks. Trust me I've been cakin these past few Friday nights, but I just never stopped to check in. They were those "If I stop I won't get finished" type nights.

Anyhow - took a vacation day off today from the regular job to work on cakes and cookies for the weekend so I can slip off tomorrow and get in some Christmas shopping!

So far I have finished 2 dzn Christmas theme sugar cookies, a full sheet and a half sheet with smash cake; I have also finished 2 dzn banana shaped sugar cookies and am waiting for the 2 dzn monkey face cookies to set and dry a while so I can do a clean and finish on them.

Now- I'm getting ready to start 3 different - 2 tier cakes -- all for Sunday afternoon delivery. I need to make a sock monkey to put on one of the cakes (goes with the above cookies); and I really need to get the gumpaste numbers cut out and let them start drying for 2 of the cakes too!

So I better get off here and get to rolling -- I will try to check in later!

Suze

leah_s Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 3:56am
post #7 of 28

wow, Suze. Cookies kick my butt.

leah_s Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 3:58am
post #8 of 28

My gingerbread house.
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-661542.html

It's a neighborhood firehouse that was closed earlier this year. I marched in the protests against closing it last January. I was there for the candlelight vigil and there again for the closing ceremony. It was very sad.

11cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
11cupcakes Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 4:14am
post #9 of 28

I just finish to work on a dozen of sugarpaste roses. I am working on cake with a lot of roses and calla lillies.

aundrea Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 4:14am
post #10 of 28

wow leah that gingerbread house is awesome! so clean and well put together. i wish you post more of your pics you do such nice work. thanks for sharing. im sure it was much appreciated.

leah_s Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 4:27am
post #11 of 28

It was my first time putting a house together with poured sugar. Well, hot sugar. It works fast and is unbelievably strong. I'll only use RI for decorating. You do have to work fast, and you're working with 300 degree sugar, so you need to know what you're doing.

Cristi-Tutty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cristi-Tutty Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 4:29am
post #12 of 28

You house came out so nice...great job!!!

Wiltonlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wiltonlady Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 4:50am
post #13 of 28

Good evening ladies, no cakes but, hope all is well. God Bless.

cakemeasIam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemeasIam Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 5:05am
post #14 of 28

hellooo...have one baby shower cake
been slow! the next two weeks will be better! icon_smile.gif
have a great weekend!

leah_s Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 5:29am
post #15 of 28

slow night tonight. I'm starting to clean the kitchen.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 5:35am
post #16 of 28

Finished a 9 X 13 choc with white b/c for my DD's friend's b'day tomorrow. She wanted Scooby-Doo on it. Actually, she wanted the whole gang, but I told her mother there was no way I could recreate that in fondant (1 dimensional), and I couldn't get an edible image because I don't have a printer. So she settled on a 1D of Scooby's head.

Made Scooby from choc fondant, as well as black, blue and yellow (for his collar and tag). Used small strips of rolled black fondant for all the facial outlines.

Used a small dog bone cookie cutter and more choc fondant to make 'Scooby Snaks' bones for around the bottom (instead of shells). Made tie-die fondant for cutting out "HB" and her age and name and added some more Scooby Snaks for accent on the top.

Took a picture, but it's on the camera which is not where I am right now. Will post in my pics on Sunday (???).

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 5:41am
post #17 of 28

Just wrapped a three layer 6 inch cake and put it in the freezer. MMF done and colored in prep for tomorrow, wrapped and in the fridge. Making a tea party table cake. Tea set was made last Friday to allow it to dry and yesterday I painted it. I'll actually assemble the cake tomorrow for a mid day delivery on Sunday. Devil of a time getting my MMF to dye the right color of blue (cornflower)...probably spent a half hour just getting the shade right. SIGH. Hopefully the actual cake will go a lot smoother than that did!

Hope everyone has a smooth weekend!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 5:42am
post #18 of 28

Kill me now. 400 servings, 2 weddings, one has 3 cakes alone. Possibly pinched a nerve in my hand. This. Sucks....Jamie out.

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 6:03am
post #19 of 28

Yes Leah - cookies can kick my butt sometimes too! But when the customers want to pay . . . . I have 25 dozen snowflake cookies due in 2 weeks for wedding favors -- anybody want to come help????

I'm heading to bed - not where I wanted to be - but I'll grab some sleep and get up when DH does to go duckhunting and get back at it -- I just need a break at this moment! Then i can shop, shop, shop tomorrow!

Jamie - it sounds like you're not having a good night at all -- your to do list makes mine look like nothing! A pinched nerve in the hand can't be good either . . . I hope all gets better quickly.

Goodnight all

Suze

aundrea Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 6:57am
post #20 of 28

leah....you make me chuckle. a slow night for you would make me pull my hair out.
just doing this castle cake for sunday is making me very anxious.
i think alot of it, is because i am so unprepared. its been a tough week with my grandaughter fighting off a cold. so i didnt have time until tonight to start the cake. luckily she is going to her dads this weekend so i will have some free time tomorrow.

well if anyone is still in the club house ill be up for awhile checking in!

PianoDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PianoDiva Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 7:01am
post #21 of 28

I made an R2D2 cake for one of my piano students. She's turning eight this weekend and is a huge Star Wars fanatic. Hopefully I can post a pic in my photos; for some reason I can't post it here. It's sour cream chocolate cake, Indydebi's buttercream frosting, blue MMF accents, and a maraschino cherry. Give me a minute to post the pic in my photos . . .

aundrea Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 7:06am
post #22 of 28

sounds amazing and delish! hope you can post a pic!

PianoDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PianoDiva Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 7:11am
post #23 of 28

Thanks, Aundrea! I just posted the pic in my photos. And it IS delish--the best part is that it's a carved cake so there are lots of scraps left. Aw, shucky darn. icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

aundrea Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 7:19am
post #24 of 28

your cake is sooooo cute!! im waiting for my cakes to finish cooling so i can have some scaps. im craving sugar.

Ellistwins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellistwins Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 7:26am
post #25 of 28

Hi ladies. I keep forgetting about your fridaynight club, but then again, when our fridaynight starts, mine is done. I had a hectic friday. I had 1 dolls cake, a bible confirmation cake which is fruitcake and with printed image on and a 3 tear chocolate wrapped wedding cake. Haven't done the wrapping and being heard that it is quite a difficult effort, I talked the client into having it wrapped with moddeling chocolate. Easier for me to work with and more heat resistant seeing we are having some warm days. I had quite a night with the wedding cake. The 2 smll tiers went quickly and then when I got to the last one, my paste were crumbling. Made a new batch which didn't work well either. Having no more chocolate at 1h00 in the morning, no 24 hour baking supplies shops, we had to make a plan and hubby and I worked our way with kneeding all of the 1kg paste (2lbs) with only smll balls at a time. At 3h15 I hit the sack. Now I still have to put my dowels and will do the stacking at the venue at 13h00, which is 3 and 1/2 hours away! Better get this but shaking.
happy decorating!

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 8:22am
post #26 of 28

Ok, I'm a bit late getting here. I just woke up. Boy have you guys been busy while I napped. No paid cakes for me tonight. Going to the Allclad sale in the morning. If anyone gets in my way they will get hurt! icon_smile.gif

Leahs, love the firehouse. My favorite part of it it was the red and white trees.

Suze, please post pics of your cookies. I love snowflake cookies. Haven't had the heart to try to make them - they seem hard.

Aundrea, I'll be up with you. I have to make something for a sorority anniversary tomorrow and I don't know what to do. I'll browse around for some inspiration.

aundrea Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 10:09am
post #27 of 28

im still up. im soooo tired! all im trying to do tonight (actually now its morning) is tort my cakes and let them settle.. then ill sleep, and be up all night saturday finishing the cake. but for me doing cakes at night is much easier then during the day. with my 2yr old grandaughter its really tough keeping her away from the kitchen.
dont know how much fondant work ill get done. im so off schedule on this cake.
this cake is for my friends grandaughters 1st birthday. this little girl is having 3- yes THREE birthday parties. HUH?? luckily im only making two of the cakes. the castle cake for this sunday and elmo for next weekend.

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 2:05pm
post #28 of 28

no cakes for me - they were all for odd days this week and from now on til christmas they are all for the beginning and middle of weeks instead of for the weekends - strange icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%