Christmas Craft/bake Sale

Decorating By KHalstead Updated 1 Dec 2009 , 1:48pm by KHalstead

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 6:45pm
post #1 of 5

Hi, I have an opportunity to join in on a Christmas craft/bake sale and have NEVER done anything like this. It's going to be on Dec. 13th so it's not close enough to Christmas to make bigger things like cookie platters (I could, but not sure they'd sell) that you would normally share with people over the holidays....since they won't keep that long.

Sooooooooooo, I was curious what you all thought were some good items to offer. So far all I've come up with is cake truffles aka cake balls and some choc. dipped marshmallow snowmen.

Wondering if individually wrapped cookies would go well, or even some small cookie bouquets (since the cookies could be wrapped and it could possibly be given at Christmas).

So any of you that are experienced in this dept. if you could please give me some input, I'd really appreciate it.

So far I'm being told there is someone selling dog stuff (for pampered pets), a painter, Avon, Tupperware, Peronsalizing products lady, Pamper chef, and another with crafts. So far, I'm being told there is a lady that's selling "goodies" to raise money for a class trip for her DD school...but nobody else is making FOOD items of any kind!!!
This thing is free to get a table, and open to the community and being held in the back room (party room) of a restaurant that is super busy all the time with people (lots of elderly too)........so what do ya think would be good sellers?? Also, how much should I be making?

TIA

4 replies
KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 12:46am
post #2 of 5

Molded chocolate lollipops? Chocolate dipped pretzels? Peppermint meringues in some sort of air-tight container?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 1:32am
post #3 of 5

Be prepared to give your stuff away! icon_sad.gif
I did 4-5 of those this yr and there was very little interest because my prices were too high.
Others had similar things that were selling for less than 1/2 of what I priced mine. $3 for mini (3"x4"?); $6 for lg (5"x9")
I had quick breads (fresh apple; cocoa apple; marmalade; squash; etc); cookies (small, soft w/lots of nuts, raisins etc in them) etc. Lots of plates of chocolate dipped crackers, nuts & raisin clusters, bark, fudge, dipped pretzels etc Make 3-d cookies turkeys - two 3" flat cookies & one marshmallow puff, choco covered - there are pix in my gallery. Just NO interest other than to say, oh those are cute. Many people commented about not having anything w/sugar icon_sad.gif
The few others selling similar stuff had their mini loaves of quick breads for $1; cookies - a plate of 6 *lg* for .75 - yes, 75 cents!.
At another show one gal had large (hand size - I think she used Wilton's peramater(sp?) cutters - plain sugar cookies that she covered w/b'cream stars - those were 50 cents each.
Yeah, I sold a few things - $20 to $50 per show......just enough to get back my table fee icon_sad.gif

If you are still going to do it....make mini ornament cakes (mini 1/2 ball pan); make choir boys or 'fryer Tuck" looking monks or Victorian singers from mini doll skirt cupcakes. (One Wilton yrbk had those)
I would make anything over a 6" or 8" single layer cake.
The choco suckers is a good idea. Dipped pretzel rods.
Put out a sign that you will take orders and make them items fresh for Christmas?
Make a plate of your cookies for sample.
I make up plates of the dipped crackers in the form of a Christmas tree w/each cracker having some piped decoration or flower. There might be a pic or two of these in my gallery [Sorry I can't seen any of my gallery pix or I'd link for ya]

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 1:46am
post #4 of 5

I just did a similar sounding craft fair the week before Thanksgiving and brought mostly cookie bouquets and a small basket of indivdually wrapped cookies. Sold 2 bouquets and the cookies were wiped out. So I would suggest a couple bouquets mostly as samples for people to see what you do and plan to sell individually wrapped. I suggest highly decorated cookies that will attract the kids and/or baked goods that most people dont make at home like the cake balls.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 1:48pm
post #5 of 5

thank you guys..........I was thinking along the lines of that bmom.....the more high end stuff.
Since there's another lady selling "goodies" I figure she's probably gonna have choc. chip cookies, cupcakes, etc........so if i offer cookies and cupcakes I need to stand apart from her....and the best way to do that (besides in flavor) is in the appearance.

I imagine if she's selling cupcakes they'll be somewhere around $.50/each since that's what I generally see around here at bake sales. But we're talking canned icing, put on with a knife and maybe sprinkles.

Soooooooooooo....I wanted to maybe do some of the Christmas ornament cupcakes but instead of using the ball pan, just bake them with a nice high hump and cover the top in fondant and decorate LIKE an ornament.
Also maybe some fondant covered cuppies with an impression of snowflakes pressed into the fondant?

I'm buying these boxes pictured below for the cupcakes, and the bows to put on top, so they'll be individually packaged, and hopefully that will pull across the elegant look I'm going for and make people "willing" to pay more. I'm hoping to charge between $1.50-$2.00 each for them in a box

Also the long tube boxes I'm going to use for cake truffles and am hoping to sell them at my reg. price (which most here think is too high)..6 for $3.00 each.

My hope is that people will see them and think "these are so pretty I should grab some to give as gifts at work for the office Christmas exchange" LOL
LL
LL
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%