She Asks, "fondant Isn't Edible, Right?"

Decorating By metria Updated 30 Nov 2009 , 10:47pm by Jeep_girl816

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 11:23pm
post #1 of 33

Yesterday was my brother and his wife's anniversary. Since we were all home at my parents' house for Thanksgiving, I made sure to make a cake for them so we can all celebrate the next day. It was a chocolate cake with white chocolate IMBC, covered in MMF that also had dark chocolate cocoa. I'm pretty newbie to caking; this is the first fondant covered cake I made for my entire family. We cut it, serve it around the kitchen table where we're all sitting and start digging in. I was pretty proud of the cake because the fondant went on well, so it looked smooth. As we're eating, my mom asks me, "Fondant isn't edible, right?" My husband and I were a little baffled. I was even a little hurt, but I'm not sure why! I could only respond with, "Why would I cover a cake to give to us in something inedible?" Ugh! I know she's seen Ace of Cakes before ... like I said, I'm not even sure why I was hurt.

Has anyone asked you if fondant was inedible??

32 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 11:43pm
post #2 of 33

of course!

common.

think of it as an adult high-end version of AirHeads candy -- chewy, sugary goodness for the sophisticated palate

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 11:49pm
post #3 of 33

Awww... sorry that your mom hurt your feelings. Just remember, there are a lot of people out there who just don't know anything about cake.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 12:26am
post #4 of 33

I think when people think fondant as inedible, they think doesn't taste good so you don't want to eat it, not that you actually can't eat it. I'm sure she must have heard many times fondant taste bad and just got the ideas mixed up. What a surprise it was to her to eat delicious chocolate MMF that you made! icon_biggrin.gif

cheeseball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeseball Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 12:50am
post #5 of 33

Mmmmm. Airheads icon_biggrin.gif

miamorsweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miamorsweets Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 12:50am
post #6 of 33

People still have noooooooo idea about fondant and what is going on with cakes nowadays. Just last January you could have asked me about fondant, and I wouldn't have known, and it was on my wedding cake! This Thursday I made a pumpkin cake with fondant and all my relatives asked what the fondant was and yes, if it was edible.

beanbean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beanbean Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 12:59am
post #7 of 33

I have friends who were married this past September in Newport, RI. This was an elegant affair with top local vendors. I was shocked (but not too shocked because I read CakeCentral) that the cake decorator told them they could choose buttercream or fondant for their cake, but the fondant would have to be peeled off before being served! I can understand when someone who knows next to nothing about baking and cake decorating is unsure about just what fondant is and how it is used, but it is pretty sad if a professional decorator doesn't know the basics. Perhaps the baker may prefer using buttercream and thus tells a few white lies about fondant to her brides. I don't know if that is better or worse than not knowing how to use the stuff correctly.

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 1:05am
post #8 of 33

yep my first fondant cake and my brother looks at it and says "nice..........can u eat it?" icon_rolleyes.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 1:08am
post #9 of 33

My family didn't think it was edible the first time they encountered fondant. Now, they actually specify that they want it and what flavor they want icon_biggrin.gif My mom always asks for the leftover scraps that didn't go on the cake, and takes them home to eat like candy. It's just a matter of them getting used to it.

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 11:00am
post #10 of 33

Maybe they were referring to Wilton fondanticon_wink.gif I've have my doubts about it being edible!!lol!!

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 2:41pm
post #11 of 33

Fondant generally has a bad rap on the market because of the disqusting fondants out there. Fondant doesn't have to taste bad!

I think people just think that cuz most don't like to eat the bad fondants.

Jen icon_smile.gif

elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 3:14pm
post #12 of 33

Fondant goes waaaay back. My mother (86 yrs old) remembers making fondant with her mother when she was little (1920's) and they would make it into balls to eat as candy! Very edible. icon_lol.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 3:23pm
post #13 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep_girl816

Maybe they were referring to Wilton fondanticon_wink.gif I've have my doubts about it being edible!!lol!!

When people mention how bad fondant tastes, I tell them, "Well, if you've had a certain brand of fondant, I agree ..... it tastes like it's made with toxic waste." icon_lol.gif

DanaMae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaMae Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 3:29am
post #14 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

When people mention how bad fondant tastes, I tell them, "Well, if you've had a certain brand of fondant, I agree ..... it tastes like it's made with toxic waste." icon_lol.gif

I so totally agree with ya'll. That stuff just stinks! Now, the homemade stuff rocks! I made some coconut flavored MMF this weekend for the first time...YUM MEE! Wow...people just have no idea how good it can be! icon_lol.gif

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 9:27am
post #15 of 33

I really have to taste some of this Wilton fondant!

Kims_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kims_cakes Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 11:54am
post #16 of 33

Don't be offended, be flattered that she ate yours! I never liked fondant till I made my own. I still can't believe that "professional" bakers can't get it right.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 1:28pm
post #17 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaulir

Before I realized that all fondant didn't taste like Wilton's, I used to keep some wilton on hand for brides to taste. I'd tell them, "Wait .... I need to get you a trash can for when you want to spit it out. And you WILL want to spit it out."

Yes, they always did.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 2:57pm
post #18 of 33

I could be in left field here so just ignore me if that's the case.

Was that question a little sabotage-y? A little jealous-maybe??

I mean considering the fact that you were hurt by it and that Mom asked it out loud in front of everyone--I don't know--just a thought.

Sometimes families have a hard time with their own artistic members.

I hope it's not the case but...heads up!

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 3:54pm
post #19 of 33
Quote:

No. No you don't. Trust us!!!! icon_razz.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 4:09pm
post #20 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by metria

I know she's seen Ace of Cakes before ... like I said, I'm not even sure why I was hurt.

This is the part that stuck out to me, the fact that she watches Ace of Cakes could BE the reason she asked. I've heard them say MANY times that "fondant isn't meant to be eaten, it's just for looks and you peel it off when you eat the cake"

I figured they were using Wilton fondant and THAT'S why the disclaimer LOL

-K8memphis Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 4:11pm
post #21 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

Quote:
Originally Posted by metria

I know she's seen Ace of Cakes before ... like I said, I'm not even sure why I was hurt.

This is the part that stuck out to me, the fact that she watches Ace of Cakes could BE the reason she asked. I've heard them say MANY times that "fondant isn't meant to be eaten, it's just for looks and you peel it off when you eat the cake"

I figured they were using Wilton fondant and THAT'S why the disclaimer LOL

They say that on Ace of Cakes??? Not about gum paste but about fondant??? Wow.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 4:22pm
post #22 of 33

yep, have seen them do it several times...........although I've noticed Duff serving cake and it appears he just cuts and plates (with the fondant) so...not sure if they just say it just in case people don't like the taste??

I tell people gumpaste is edible too, just not palettable (sp?) meaning, you CAN eat it...but it doesn't taste good!
Fondant on the other hand, I tell people it's sweet and chewy and some don't like it...but you def. need to try it and see. So far I've NEVER had anyone (besides myself) that prefers NOT to eat it!

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 4:29pm
post #23 of 33

my 2 year old loves fondant, so did my older son when he could eat it. I have to watch my youngest like a hawk if I have fondant pieces drying on the table because it never fails, he gets ahold of something and bites into it. He sits in a chair beside me while I'm working and grabs the scraps as I move them to the side. I mostly use fondant for decorations so I usually grab the wilton stuff. He doesn't care. icon_smile.gif

creations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
creations Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 4:31pm
post #24 of 33

wow , i get question alot abt what is fondant and is it edible lol. i just explain and go abt my merry way

-K8memphis Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 4:34pm
post #25 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

yep, have seen them do it several times...........although I've noticed Duff serving cake and it appears he just cuts and plates (with the fondant) so...not sure if they just say it just in case people don't like the taste??

I tell people gumpaste is edible too, just not palettable (sp?) meaning, you CAN eat it...but it doesn't taste good!
Fondant on the other hand, I tell people it's sweet and chewy and some don't like it...but you def. need to try it and see. So far I've NEVER had anyone (besides myself) that prefers NOT to eat it!

I've seen a Disney thing on tv where they peeled it off before they served it.

Well then case closed huh?
Mom was 'educated' on tv--so just 'splain it to her yes?

metria Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 4:55pm
post #26 of 33

thank you all for your supportive posts. i talked about it with my husband and we think it was that my mom had seen fondant peeled off cakes so she assumed it was inedible. she definitely didn't mean to hurt my feelings; i feel better about the whole thing. i was also a tad sensitive since this was my first fondant cake to be served to my side of the family.

i'll keep on caking and look forward to experimenting with more flavors for fondant!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 5:02pm
post #27 of 33

Ok, I'm an artist, a photographer, an event planner and a caker and I can tell you that getting approval from family members has been an almost unattainable feat to achieve. Finally I've come to a place in my life where they are starting to admit that I have some artistic talent! Imagine how my jaw dropped recently when my mom was found praising my cakes to the heavens to a stranger?! She barely says a word to me about it. The same has always been about my other artistic work too. Recently, when I planned my own wedding, my family finally said "wow, she really knows what she'd doing with this stuff, huh?" like they were amazed! Gaining approval is a waste of emotion and time but, hey, I can't help it. I think that's why you were hurt...that your own family didn't have the faith in you to know that you wouldn't serve something they couldn't eat. It took me years to get over the fact that my validation would have to come from friends and strangers cause I sure wasn't going to get it from my family. I called my mom on it last week. Made the golf cake in my photos here for my dh's b'day and my mom sat at the table and didn't say a word about it. Finally I looked at her and said "what? your not even surprised anymore, these are just my "regular" cakes now?" LOL...she laughed and said, "well, your cakes are always so amazing now I thought it went without saying"...well, NO, artists STILL need validation, especially from family.

I can't tell you not to be hurt, just be prepared for it. As for the fondant, yup, Wilton sucks but homemade MMF is wonderful. The chocolate MMF I made for the golf bag was incredible and everyone kept asking for more...of the fondant! LOL!

I watch Ace of Cakes regularly and have never heard them say fondant isn't edible..gumpaste figures sure but not the fondant..I'm gonna have to listen closer from now on!

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 5:19pm
post #28 of 33

When I do cakes for the girls at work, I can't get most of them to even taste my homemade fondant. So I've been doing BC with fondant decorations. I think that may change as my most recent cake had a fondant bow and one of them started nibbling on it telling everyone how good it was.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 5:23pm
post #29 of 33
Quote:

Quote:

No. No you don't. Trust us!!!! icon_razz.gif

They really need to take that stuff off the market, it's giving fondant such a bad rap.

Maybe she was thinking of gumpaste, while edible, nobody eats it.

metria Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 5:37pm
post #30 of 33

I made a cake for my husband's family that was covered with MMF a few weeks ago. It was my first fondant cake served to his side of the family. I was so nervous I explained as we were slicing it that some people don't like the taste of fondant and I won't be offended if they peel it off. But they loved it. His cousin exclaimed "This is the best fondant I've ever tasted!" That made me feel pretty good ... perhaps that's another reason I was so shocked when my mom asked if it were edible.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%