Don't Try This At Home......

Decorating By sherrycanary62 Updated 29 Nov 2009 , 4:20pm by sherrycanary62

sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 6:18pm
post #1 of 19

unless your intention is to get purple/plum fondant. I have made black mmf in the past with great success....my intention here was to make red, yes, red fondant...never having made it before I remembered the tip to start with pink then work it to red...well I used Rose Pink, which of course made hot pink, and when I added red, it really didn't change the tone much even after using quite a bit of red....so I get this great idea thumbs_up.gif ..just add some black....well the end product is what you see...purple fondant...lol...I have no need for purple fondant... icon_cry.gif

Any ideas how I can use purple fondant?

ah well another learning experience goes down in the books icon_biggrin.gif
[/img]
LL

18 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 6:19pm
post #2 of 19

Quick make a Barney cake!!!!

icon_biggrin.gif

sherrycanary62 Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 6:25pm
post #3 of 19

oh K8...I love you.... icon_biggrin.gif

I swear a 1st grader has more color mixing knowledge than I do icon_redface.gif

WykdGud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WykdGud Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 6:39pm
post #4 of 19

Grape Ape! (I hate Barney)

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 6:43pm
post #5 of 19

Yup..You made the perfect Barney Purple!!!

Classycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Classycakes Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 6:45pm
post #6 of 19

I have a problem making red fondant too. I find that if I do it in stages, then it works better. For example, I'll use different shades of red - christmas red, super red, red red, etc.. I'll mix the colour with the fondant, let it rest for several hours or even overnight, then mix more in, let that rest, then add more colouring til I get the right shade. It usually takes me 2-3 days to get it deep enough but this system works all right for me. If I'm using it for accents to go on a cake, then I'll use the Wilton (yuk!) fondant rather than homemade. For some reason, it works better with the Wilton fondant than my homemade fondant! If I have to use the homemade fondant, then I'll add a base of red colouring as I'm making it, then add the rest in stages.

Good luck!

WykdGud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WykdGud Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 6:47pm
post #7 of 19

I don't bother making red fondant. I'll either buy it pre-made, or airbrush white fondant. MUCH easier and less stress.

sherrycanary62 Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 6:50pm
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by WykdGud

Grape Ape! (I hate Barney)

I forgot all about him!!!!!!!!!! I used to love Grape Ape thumbs_up.gif

sherrycanary62 Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 6:52pm
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classycakes

I have a problem making red fondant too. I find that if I do it in stages, then it works better. For example, I'll use different shades of red - christmas red, super red, red red, etc.. I'll mix the colour with the fondant, let it rest for several hours or even overnight, then mix more in, let that rest, then add more colouring til I get the right shade. It usually takes me 2-3 days to get it deep enough but this system works all right for me. If I'm using it for accents to go on a cake, then I'll use the Wilton (yuk!) fondant rather than homemade. For some reason, it works better with the Wilton fondant than my homemade fondant! If I have to use the homemade fondant, then I'll add a base of red colouring as I'm making it, then add the rest in stages.

Good luck!

I always add my color to the melted marshmallow when making mmf...but I am gonna try doing it in stages!! thanks for the tip

Lovemesomecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovemesomecake Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 7:03pm
post #10 of 19

I've had great success making red fondant w/ Americolor Super red. I make it hot pink first and then add the red. I added black one time b/c it wasn't turning the right color red and boy was that a mistake!!! I've been in your boat before. Lesson learned. icon_wink.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 7:10pm
post #11 of 19

freeze until Mardi Gras.

then you'll only have to make green and gold to have all the colors you need to make lots of Mardi Gras party cake.

====

either that OR make a yellow-polka-dotted purple people eater.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 7:34pm
post #12 of 19

I'm with WG--I don't like Barney and I might make a bit of red or black fondant but otherwise to cover a cake I buy it or airbrush it.

I love my story about this lady that cried when she saw her Barney cake--it still makes me belly laugh. I mean whadayah gonna do with a giant purple blob?

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 10:31pm
post #13 of 19

You've really helped me out. I have such trouble getting proper purple fondant. Mine always ends up grey. But now, thanks to you, I have the perfect 'recipe' to mix purple!
Thanks!! icon_biggrin.gif

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 10:38pm
post #14 of 19

Use it to make Christmas Ornament cupcakes. It would be perfect with super pearl luster dust brushed over it. Or white RI snowflakes on it. I love that color.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 11:06pm
post #15 of 19

How about a "One-Eyed-One-Horned-Flying-Purple-People-Eater".

Okay, showing my age (along with WykdGud - Grape Ape!!). icon_rolleyes.gif

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 2:22pm
post #16 of 19

make it into black and add cmc and make black modelling paste - i do this with all my extra fondant that i have no use for icon_smile.gif

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 2:34pm
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

freeze until Mardi Gras.

then you'll only have to make green and gold to have all the colors you need to make lots of Mardi Gras party cake.

====

either that OR make a yellow-polka-dotted purple people eater.

Now that's a fab idea!

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 2:38pm
post #18 of 19

Yup, looks like Barney to me - LOL! And that can be a hard purple to get!

Jen icon_smile.gif

sherrycanary62 Posted 29 Nov 2009 , 4:20pm
post #19 of 19

I feel like the absent minded professor

....oops I just discovered flubber...er..uh..I mean purple fondant detective.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%