How Do I Get The Petal To Curve More...

Decorating By onlymadaresane Updated 20 Nov 2009 , 9:18pm by Jeff_Arnett

onlymadaresane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onlymadaresane Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 7:02pm
post #1 of 9

So I'm ATTEMPTING the parrot tulip. I FINALLY got a wire that works. (not too thick, not too thin)

However I go to assemble and the petals aren't curved enough. I put them in spoons to dry. Any suggestions ( I know it's too late now, but for next time) they need to curve from left to right inwards- not top to bottom.

If that makes any sense.
Thanks!

8 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 8:13pm
post #2 of 9

What about the wilton flower formers?

I've seen/heard about people using the cardboard fruit seperaters that come between apples and pears. This may help if you are working with a larger petal.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 12:04am
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlymadaresane

So I'm ATTEMPTING the parrot tulip. I FINALLY got a wire that works. (not too thick, not too thin)

However I go to assemble and the petals aren't curved enough. I put them in spoons to dry. Any suggestions ( I know it's too late now, but for next time) they need to curve from left to right inwards- not top to bottom.

If that makes any sense.
Thanks!

Do you have a two piece silicone veiner that you are using on the tulips? If you have a two piece one, you can take the top insert, turn it flat side down on parchment paper, then take a hot glue gun and cover it in hot glue. Once it cools and sets, simple remove it [it won't hurt the veiner!] turn it over and you will have a former just the right size. Now make several and glue them to a piece of board and you have your former.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 5:27pm
post #4 of 9

i roll up paper into tubes to use as formers for petals, sometimes with boxes, clingfilm etc to help as well
xx

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 5:34pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Arnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlymadaresane

If that makes any sense.
Thanks!

Do you have a two piece silicone veiner that you are using on the tulips? If you have a two piece one, you can take the top insert, turn it flat side down on parchment paper, then take a hot glue gun and cover it in hot glue. Once it cools and sets, simple remove it [it won't hurt the veiner!] turn it over and you will have a former just the right size. Now make several and glue them to a piece of board and you have your former.

Jeff, that's genius!

LateBloomer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LateBloomer Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 5:42pm
post #6 of 9

I've heard that tulips are dried over eggs. Haven't tried it myself but the shape seems right.

Jeff_Arnett Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 8:36pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBloomer

I've heard that tulips are dried over eggs. Haven't tried it myself but the shape seems right.

I use egg shaped formers for my tulip petal....guess where I get them??? Each Easter, when the eater candy comes out, I get a package of thosed filled plastic eggs. They come in a two piece clear plastic package that makes two formers. I can do 2 dozen petals at once this way!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 9:12pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:

LOVED watching Rosemary Watson do that ingenious technique! I need to dust off that video and watch it again.

onlymadaresane, I made the drying forms for parrot tulip petals by shaping pieces of foil over a serving spoon and then further bending the edges of the foil upward for a deeper cupped petal. Super quick and super cheap. icon_smile.gif

Jeff_Arnett Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 9:18pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

Quote:

LOVED watching Rosemary Watson do that ingenious technique! I need to dust off that video and watch it again.

onlymadaresane, I made the drying forms for parrot tulip petals by shaping pieces of foil over a serving spoon and then further bending the edges of the foil upward for a deeper cupped petal. Super quick and super cheap. icon_smile.gif

I miss Rosemary....she was really the first person who sparked my interest in gumpaste. She had such neat tools and molds back then.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%