Secret Santa/adopt A Family

Lounge By costumeczar Updated 20 Dec 2013 , 3:00pm by MistyRomack

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 12:46am
post #1 of 26

I've volunteered to coordinate a Secret Santa/Adopt a Family program for this year for families who are in need of help for the holidays. If your family needs some help with gifts this holiday season send me a pm with your name and address and any specifics about your kids' ages, sizes, etc.

If you're interested in sponsoring a family pm me with any information about what you're able to contribute and I'll try to match you with a family, then send you their information.

Just to be clear, PLEASE do not rely on this as your only outlet for gifts for your kids! I remember that last year someone was angry about not getting the help that was pledged, but as we all know, unexpected things happen. The person who signs up to give might find themselves in a difficult situation themselves and not be able to contribute. I won't be giving out the names of the people who choose to contribute unless they say it's okay.

Thanks,
Kara

25 replies
costumeczar Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 2:06pm
post #2 of 26

I also forgot to put a deadline on this...I think two weeks before Christmas? So that would be the 11th of December for the latest that I can add requests for help.

Lee9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lee9 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 8:09pm
post #3 of 26

This is a wonderful program.

costumeczar Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 11:40am
post #4 of 26

If you'd like to contribute to help a family but you can't do a lot, you could send a Walmart or Target gift card, any amount will help. We have some families with multiple kids who have asked to be put on the list, so if they could receive gift cards for $10 to $15 from a few people, as opposed to having only one person sponsor the whole family, that could spread the help out a little.

Please let me know if you can contribute to help!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 6:03pm
post #5 of 26

Normally I don;'t care for the informality of gift cards. I recieved a couple for my b'day recently from family and I was overjoyed to be able to use them icon_smile.gif
In this case it sounds like the perfect answer.

costumeczar Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 6:22pm
post #6 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

Normally I don;'t care for the informality of gift cards. I recieved a couple for my b'day recently from family and I was overjoyed to be able to use them icon_smile.gif
In this case it sounds like the perfect answer.

Some of the kids people would be buying for are older, too, and I know from having a teenager that they're IMPOSSIBLE to buy things for. My son likes gift cards, so don't feel that they'd be too impersonal!

Lee9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lee9 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 6:56pm
post #7 of 26

Older kids definitely prefer gift cards. Plus they are easy to send and if you don't have to pay for shipping it could mean more money for the kids gifts.

UltimateCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UltimateCakes Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 10:03pm
post #8 of 26

good point!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 12:23am
post #9 of 26

There seems to be a number of families in need and not enough "secret santa" volunteers.

Please, please fellow CCer's anything you can do to help will be greatly appreciated. icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 2:25pm
post #10 of 26

Costumeczarina where do we send the gift cards?

costumeczar Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 6:05pm
post #11 of 26

If you'd like to send a gift card please pm me and let me know. I'll give you the name and address of a family and you can send the card to them directly. You don't need to give your name, it can be completely anonymous if you'd like to keep it that way. You'd just need to make a note that it was a gift from a CC member, even though they'd probably figure that out!

Thanks!

UltimateCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UltimateCakes Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 9:39pm
post #12 of 26

How many families still need help? I think if we have a definitive # ppl may be more likely to help.

costumeczar Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 11:31pm
post #13 of 26

I have one family with two kids who isn't sponsored yet, and one with a larger number of kids who I'm thinking that gift cards from a number of donors would be better than having one person sponsoring them by themselves.

Thanks!

SJ169 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJ169 Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 12:13am
post #14 of 26

I just pm'd you, send me some info for a family icon_biggrin.gif i would love to help!

costumeczar Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 6:47pm
post #15 of 26

Thanks to everyone who's volunteered to help so far. I could still use some donors of small-amount (or large!) gift cards for a family that has a lot of kids. Pm me and I'll send you the address to send the cards to the family directly.

Thanks!

costumeczar Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 12:07pm
post #16 of 26

Here's a thank you from one family who's receiving help:

Thank you so much! You have no idea how much we appreciate everyone's generosity and how much it helps. We would not be able to have a Christmas without the kindness of the wonderful CC members who are helping us this year. Please pass our tremendous gratitude and heartfelt thanks on to them for me and my family.

costumeczar Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 11:38am
post #17 of 26

I have two more families who have asked for help. One has one child, one has three. If anyone would like to sponsor either please let me know!

costumeczar Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 10:42pm
post #18 of 26

...I'm still looking for two more donors! Thanks in advance!

costumeczar Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 1:56pm
post #19 of 26

The day after Black Friday...We've all done our shopping, and can now think about our budgets for Secret Santas!

If anyone can sponsor a family or contribute a gift card for a smaller amount, I'd greatly appreciate it. I now have 4 requests for help and nobody to match them with. If you were planning on doing a toys for tots program this year, this would be a good outlet for that!

Thanks!

costumeczar Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 12:32am
post #20 of 26

I'm down to three families who now need help...I need sponsors! One family has one child, and two have three children. If you can contribute ANYTHING please pm me. Even small amounts on a gift card would be great.

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 9:50am
post #21 of 26

Can anyone think of a way I can help some one as I am in the UK so a gift would be expensive to mail and our giftcards wouldnot be accepted in like stores in America/Canada? I do however have a paypal account.

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 10:49am
post #22 of 26

Scrummymummy- you could send a gift or a card via amazon.com. I have friends in the UK and I've purchased from amazon.co.uk and sent items with local shipping icon_smile.gif

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 10:56am
post #23 of 26

thankyou for that I will check that out

costumeczar Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 12:08pm
post #24 of 26

Hi, Everyone,

First, thanks to everyone who has donated and offered to help. I appreciate it, and I know that the families who have asked for help do, too.

Unfortunately, I have decided that I need to close the program to any more requests for help for this year, due to a lack of donors. At this point I have four families who have asked for help and I don't have anyone to match them with. Because of this, I decided to move the deadline for requests up, so I won't be accepting any more requests for help at this point.

If for some reason I suddenly get a lot of people who want to sponsor families, then I'll open it up for requests again, but seeing the response I've received so far I don't want to have anyone relying on that.

Thanks again to anyone who has already donated, and if anyone else would like to donate to one of the remaining families please let me know. I only had requests from 10 families this year, so it wasn't a huge number, and any donation, including small-denomination gift cards, are appreciated.

costumeczar Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 12:37am
post #25 of 26

This is my final request, so breathe easy...I only have ONE family who hasn't been helped at all, so if anyone is able to donate ANY AMOUNT I'd appreciate it.

MistyRomack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MistyRomack Posted 20 Dec 2013 , 3:00pm
post #26 of 26

AIn need of Emergency Secret Santa.... I have a client (retired veteran)that lost their home and both jobs last week. What $ was supposed to go to kids gifts last minute now has to be paid for another place to live! I'm donating a few items to help they have a five year old boy...who loves racing cars fishing and wrestling....and an 11 yr old girl who loves art crafts music and playing her violin. Please PM me for shipping address. Thank you in advance for the help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%